Sennheiser HD800 Certificate for Frequency Response Arrived
Aug 15, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #556 of 746
  Here's mine, a slight dip on the 8k compared to others in the 30XXX's...  BTW, seems everything after 30XXX have no 6k peak :)

But seems like they now have a peak at 9k. A smaller peak than the 6k peak though.
Also, HD800s are not bass elevated by any means. I don't understand how every graph shows +5db increase in bass frequencies under 100hz.

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #557 of 746
  But seems like they now have a peak at 9k. A smaller peak than the 6k peak though.
Also, HD800s are not bass elevated by any means. I don't understand how every graph shows +5db increase in bass frequencies under 100hz.

That's a good question. The graphs would suggest more bottom end than we're 'experiencing'. I wonder why...

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #559 of 746
I just got mine today...and ordered the HDVD 800 which will arrive in a few days... looking forward to it.  I'll post my certificate once it arrives...had to register at two Sennheiser sites but got the box checked correctly.  

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #560 of 746
Here we go... my serial is 301XX and I just got the HDVD 800 hooked up and I'm in heaven 
beyersmile.png

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #563 of 746
  Here's mine, a slight dip on the 8k compared to others in the 30XXX's...  BTW, seems everything after 30XXX have no 6k peak :)

Mine is 21*** and according to the graph - flatter than yours around the 6k mark.

IMO there really isn't any evidence of FR change in newer models. The variables involved when measuring are.. well, too variable! :D 

In other words; apart from the usual minute variances in production - They all sound the bloody same!!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #564 of 746
  That's a good question. The graphs would suggest more bottom end than we're 'experiencing'. I wonder why...

Hey, Cub.
I've looked at various FR measurements on the internet, including Headroom. What I've concluded is that the HD800 actually isn't "lacking" in bass per se. It's actually kindda on target. However, it totally lacks in sub-bass. All the FR graphs from various sources show a small positive db for 100hz range. Notice how the FR graph given out by Sennheiser cuts off at 100hz only, not at 20hz or under 20hz.

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #565 of 746
  Hey, Cub.
I've looked at various FR measurements on the internet, including Headroom. What I've concluded is that the HD800 actually isn't "lacking" in bass per se. It's actually kindda on target. However, it totally lacks in sub-bass. All the FR graphs from various sources show a small positive db for 100hz range. Notice how the FR graph given out by Sennheiser cuts off at 100hz only, not at 20hz or under 20hz.

The graphs from sennheiser are not absolute measurements, they only show derivation from the reference hd 800 target. So you can not really make any assumptions of the sounding based on the sennheiser graphs, I would not say they lack sub bass, they are pretty linear till 30hz and drop only a few db-s to 20hz. If you listen to them you can also definitely hear decent sub bass, you have to consider that the human ear is much less sensitive to sub bass as well.

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #566 of 746
  The graphs from sennheiser are not absolute measurements, they only show derivation from the reference hd 800 target. So you can not really make any assumptions of the sounding based on the sennheiser graphs, I would not say they lack sub bass, they are pretty linear till 30hz and drop only a few db-s to 20hz. If you listen to them you can also definitely hear decent sub bass, you have to consider that the human ear is much less sensitive to sub bass as well.

Well, subbass as in under 20hz, under human hearing. I'm not sure what Sennheiser is doing, if every single headphone they've ever created was 5 db off at the bass.

Sep 6, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #567 of 746
  Well, subbass as in under 20hz, under human hearing. I'm not sure what Sennheiser is doing, if every single headphone they've ever created was 5 db off at the bass.

Subbass is generally defined as anything under 60 hz. Below 20 hz is generally referred to as "infrasonic". And the subbass roll-off found in Sennheiser's HD800, HD6xx, etc., is simply a common property of open headphones.

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #570 of 746
Not a big issue, but I'm just curious to know why some people obscure the last three digits of the sn? Did you steal your HD800's and are worried about the original owner finding out.............?
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back