Sennheiser HD800 Certificate for Frequency Response Arrived
Jul 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #91 of 746
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks feifan, you took the words right out of my mouth; I couldn't have said it better! The equipment that it takes...I would love it if Sennheiser recommended an ideal setup to experience the sound they set out to achieve.

The different components that we throw in the mix, i.e., amps, sources, DAC, cables, etc., all effect our change the sound to our individual liking. However, I wouldn't mind if a manufacturer went as far as recommending a complete setup to experience what the detail as their ideal sound. That would be interesting.

It is stated on the HD 800 package that for better results an headphone amp could be used, but which one?

Sennheiser is, I suspect, to smart to get caught by that ploy!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hypothetical; Sennheiser says, "these headphones were designed using the model Whopeemaster 6SJ7GT headphone amp, which is recommended to bring out their best performance"

Here come the posts...

What? I guess Sennheiser is in bed with Whopeemaster...

Are you kidding? Everyone knows the Whopeemaster 6SJ7GT sux...guess they all are tin ears at Sennheiser...wouldn't buy cans from them.

I can't buy the Senn's now as I have an amp that I like quite alot and I guess it's incompatable...

The Whopeemaster 6SJ7GT is $800! They charge $1400 for their phones and then expext us to shell out another $800 for an amp?

I don't understand Sennheiser recommending the Whopeemaster 6SJ7GT, it's OK for the money, but phones at this price level deserve a serious amp...

You auditioned the HD-800 with a Superframmis mk 4? Sennheiser is explicit in their recomendation of the Whopeemaster 6SJ7GT. How can we take your impressions seriously...

And the show goes on!
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #92 of 746
Nice tube, the 6SJ7GT
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #94 of 746
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser is, I suspect, to smart to get caught by that ploy!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hypothetical; Sennheiser says, "these headphones were designed using the model Whopeemaster 6SJ7GT headphone amp, which is recommended to bring out their best performance"

Here come the posts...

What? I guess Sennheiser is in bed with Whopeemaster...

Are you kidding? Everyone knows the Whopeemaster 6SJ7GT sux...guess they all are tin ears at Sennheiser...wouldn't buy cans from them.

I can't buy the Senn's now as I have an amp that I like quite alot and I guess it's incompatable...

The Whopeemaster 6SJ7GT is $800! They charge $1400 for their phones and then expext us to shell out another $800 for an amp?

I don't understand Sennheiser recommending the Whopeemaster 6SJ7GT, it's OK for the money, but phones at this price level deserve a serious amp...

You auditioned the HD-800 with a Superframmis mk 4? Sennheiser is explicit in their recomendation of the Whopeemaster 6SJ7GT. How can we take your impressions seriously...

And the show goes on!
biggrin.gif

You belabor the obvious. Snacks is more than aware of the practical implications. His statement is tongue-in-cheek: "I wouldn't mind if a manufacturer went as far as recommending a complete setup to experience what the detail as their ideal sound. That would be interesting."

Interesting, indeed.

In fact, Keith Howard bemoans this problem: "While this helps me assess headphones in the circumstances most favorable to them, this is clearly a crazy situation that the audio industry needs to address. It is manifestly unacceptable that a customer should select a pair of headphones by careful listening at a retailer, only to experience a quite different tonal balance at home due to a different source impedance. As things stand now, to ensure consistent results, headphones and headphone amplifiers need to be considered as a package." (emphasis added)

To compensate, to fill the critical void, to address this issue -- we have forums such as Head-fi to determine the nearly infinite array of synergies.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #95 of 746
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You belabor the obvious. Snacks is more than aware of the practical implications. His statement is tongue-in-cheek: "I wouldn't mind if a manufacturer went as far as recommending a complete setup to experience what the detail as their ideal sound. That would be interesting."

Interesting, indeed.

In fact, Keith Howard bemoans this problem: "While this helps me assess headphones in the circumstances most favorable to them, this is clearly a crazy situation that the audio industry needs to address. It is manifestly unacceptable that a customer should select a pair of headphones by careful listening at a retailer, only to experience a quite different tonal balance at home due to a different source impedance. As things stand now, to ensure consistent results, headphones and headphone amplifiers need to be considered as a package." (emphasis added)

To compensate, to fill the critical void, to address this issue -- we have forums such as Head-fi to determine the nearly infinite array of synergies.

I am not so sure Snacks statement was tongue-in-cheek, but mine definitely was...

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #96 of 746
Quote:

I am not so sure Snacks statement was tongue-in-cheek, but mine definitely was...

So in writing your response to Snack, you're assuming that he/she may not be aware of the sales ramifications of tying the HD800 to specific amps? And, thus, you're humoring him with a list of hilarious implications just in case he missed the point?

BTW, you don't have to answer this. I'm just curious since you're one of the brightest posters in this thread and I'm learning a lot by just following your posts. Your opinions are always based on solid ground, and you refrain from wild generalizations or personal attacks.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #97 of 746
Quote:

So in writing your response to Snack, you're assuming that he/she may not be aware of the sales ramifications of tying the HD800 to specific amps? And, thus, you're humoring him with a list of hilarious implications just in case he missed the point?

BTW, you don't have to answer this. I'm just curious since you're one of the brightest posters in this thread and I'm learning a lot by just following your posts. Your opinions are always based on solid ground, and you refrain from wild generalizations or personal attacks.

Naw... it was just for fun. No attacks on Snacks (hey, that rhymes)...

And thanks for the compliment...oh, you were being sarcastic with the "hilarious implications" thing. Oh well, I deserved it...
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #98 of 746
Quote:

Naw... it was just for fun. No attacks on Snacks (hey, that rhymes)...

And thanks for the compliment...oh, you were being sarcastic with the "hilarious implications" thing. Oh well, I deserved it...
wink.gif

You got me there. I owe you one. Or you owe me one. Either way, ouch in advance.

From this day forward, Snacks will forever be known as "No Attax Snax"!

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #99 of 746
Quote:

You got me there. I owe you one. Or you owe me one. Either way, ouch in advance.

From this day forward, Snacks will forever be known as "No Attax Snax"!

It sucks having to work on Saturday...best part is you get to come home every now and then, and relax!

popcorn.gif

I was only able to catch up to the end part of the conversations above... I like that title : NoAttaxSnax, but I'm "known" to have Snack Attacks! Hmm, on second thought..., Snacks suits me fine or just call me Cliff.
beerchug.gif

Unfortunately, I cannot listen and enjoy the HD 800 through anything, because I have an ear ache and cold to boot. Mrs. P. Wilson will have to do through speakers right now!

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #101 of 746
Well, it could be just me, but it sure seems like the high serial numbers lack at least some of the 6.5k peak.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #102 of 746
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it could be just me, but it sure seems like the high serial numbers lack at least some of the 6.5k peak.

I absolutely wouldn't mind. My serial number will be quite high, so the peak will be accordingly low...
tongue_smile.gif
I would take pompon's FR in a heartbeat.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #103 of 746
Yep. And we've all already debated whether it's meaningful, but I still can't help but wonder - if my review pair had been a high serial number, and had a FR like pompon's, would I have felt the same way about it, versus FR's like Shellylh and Feifans, which are similar SN's to mine, and have the obvious 6kHz peak.

Unless I get to try a high serial number pair someday, I will never know
frown.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #104 of 746
My HD800 have 400 hrs now and really not have the same sound as brand new.
I think the graph pretty amusing but we know nothing how they do the test. Graph are quite different to the headroom too.

I will be curious to see my graph now with the burn-in done ...

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #105 of 746
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. And we've all already debated whether it's meaningful, but I still can't help but wonder - if my review pair had been a high serial number, and had a FR like pompon's, would I have felt the same way about it, versus FR's like Shellylh and Feifans, which are similar SN's to mine, and have the obvious 6kHz peak.[emphasis added]

Unless I get to try a high serial number pair someday, I will never know
frown.gif

Skylab, what's obviously a "peak" may not be so obvious if you look closely at the FR curve across the full spectrum -- not just the upper treble 6kHz and above (brilliance). The SNs, listed below, are ordered from lowest to highest. I've placed asterisks next to Shellyh's (276) and mine (318). When you view the entire curve for each HD800 chart, the 6kHz band varies very little from the flat. Re the impact that this slight variance from flat (at 6kHz) might have on SQ -- I'd guess negligible. If anything, you might want to review k3oxkjo's comment re studying the adjacent bands that give the impression of a 6kHz peak. He, too, surmises that the impact on SQ can't be determined from this FR data alone.

6kHz Band for All Charts (as of 7.14.09)

00276 very slight rise*
00318 nearly equal*
00349 nearly equal
00459 nearly equal
00461 nearly equal
00517 very slight rise
00629 very slight rise
01230 very slight dip
01232 very slight dip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back