Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #29,071 of 46,553
I haven't, but I have tried an amp design by Solderdude called a 'Kameleon' which raises the sub bass massively and cuts the mid bass hump.

MASSIVELY??? 
That's a mighty bold statement for the sound of an amp without any eq.

Edit.  I should have looked before I spoke, they actually do have an active eq build into them. They have some kind of fixed switchable curves designed for specific phone applications. Not my cup of tea in any case, you can turn on and adjust eq in many players if that's what you want. Link to owners pdf if anyone's interested in more info
http://www.mediafire.com/view/0i2zm9094g7cqly/Kameleon_portable_headphone_amplifier.pdf

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #29,072 of 46,553
Quote:Originally Posted by Solrighal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  What a miserable place this thread has become over the last few pages.

Let's all take some Happy Pills..

Yes, I'll take some happy pills please, and a few tokes if you don't mind.

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #29,073 of 46,553
I very appreciate the Sennheiser  sound and own and listen with the Momentum Version 2s and HD650s every day. The only headphones to better the HD650s, per my preferences, are the Audeze. When I listened to the LCD-2s, I heard a more resolving and involving version of the HD650s.

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #29,074 of 46,553
  Yes they are open back phones and someone sitting right next to you on the train will hear you music, as will people a little further depending on how loud you listen.
If you are using your phones mainly for portable use a closed phone might be a better choice, They also require a bit of power from there drive so again maybe not the best for you.  Besides my HD 650s I have a set of Momentum Over the Ears which I enjoy immensely for portable use. They don't have the detail of 650s but in most cases like on the train there's too much background noise to worry about the ultimate detail. The Monmentums are much more sensitive than the 650s and will play much louder from a low power source like a phone or portable player.. If you have a chance get a listen to them, might be a better fit for your needs, and a lot cheaper. You can get a set of the dicontinued Version 1 over ears for under $200. on ebay.   Just my 2 cents

I can recommend the Momentum Version 2s without hesitation. They provide good isolation which you need when riding the train and sound like Sennheisers, which is a very good thing in my opinion.

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #29,075 of 46,553
  I totally agree with you ian, the pricing is getting out of hand. Take a look at HE1K. Great headphone but way overpriced. I'm glad there's still some good value left. I'm really excited to recieve HD650 and DT150. Good price/performance I've heard. 

Heard a HE-1000 in Japan a week ago, really not worth it even it if was $1500, it could be that the one that my friend was one of those that needed to be sent back as there was some talk about production issues?  For me the HE-560 actually sounded better.  If I had the $3k for the HE-1000 I would add a few more $$$$ and get a AudioGD Master 11 and EC Balancing act for my HD-600/650/800.

With that said I think the SR-009 was really good and a better value than the HE-1000.

Sep 19, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #29,076 of 46,553
I've been having a hard time picking which one. I chose HD650 few months ago and few days ago, I chose Mad Dogs Pro. Today, I would like to get an HD650 again. I'm not sure which I want to buy. Looking at few pics of HD650. It looks it will break easily and quality is so so. What are your thoughts about this?

Also, if I listen to music, will the person beside me hear it? I remember reading that it's an open headphone. The reason I asked is because I listen to music when I am on my way to work(inside the train for 1hr+).

I hope you can help me folks. My max budget is $450.

Thanks a lot!

Then in wouldn't recommend HD650 for commuting, they are open, you will hear everything around you and they leak sound. The quality though is superb. They last forever and if anything breaks, it's replaceable.

I just came back from vacation and had lend my HD650 to a friend, now I sit here with a grin on my face when having them back, listening to my latest music finds with the HD650 and my vintage Sansui amp. Life's good.

For commuting I recommend a closed headphone, the Oppo PM3 is my favorite at the moment. Or go with the new V-Moda Crossfade wireless (works great wired too), depending on your music taste it's great for commuting. The Sennheiser Momentum 2 is as well good for commuting to my ears.

Cheers,
K

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #29,077 of 46,553

and people shouldn't say guns are dangerous unless they have shot someone themselves. I always love extreme logic ^_^.
knowledge thankfully doesn't only come from our own experience. else we would all be petty ignorant fellows and this website would have zero purpose.

Ugh... I give up.

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #29,078 of 46,553
MASSIVELY??? 
That's a mighty bold statement for the sound of an amp without any eq.

Edit.  I should have looked before I spoke, they actually do have an active eq build into them. They have some kind of fixed switchable curves designed for specific phone applications. Not my cup of tea in any case, you can turn on and adjust eq in many players if that's what you want. Link to owners pdf if anyone's interested in more info
http://www.mediafire.com/view/0i2zm9094g7cqly/Kameleon_portable_headphone_amplifier.pdf

Yes. It's huge. If you knew what I was talking about, it's an amp with a filter design built in that targets response. So it's more accurate than EQ although it is EQ. Each Kameleon has a different filter depending on the headphone that you want to use with it.

The Kameleon that Solderdude sent me was a desk top version. Superb is all I can say.

Garage1217 will eventually be making add on modules for their amps (designed by Solderdude) to go with their amps. You will just have to say which headphone you'll be using. The filter module might be interchangeable as well.

It transforms the hd650 into another league ........ Big time.

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #29,080 of 46,553

and people shouldn't say guns are dangerous unless they have shot someone themselves.

Brutal analogy. Guns aren't as subtle as headphones and sound perception. And the effects of guns are irrefutable without direct experience.

Heard a HE-1000 in Japan a week ago, really not worth it even it if was $1500.  For me the HE-560 actually sounded better.  If I had the $3k for the HE-1000 I would add a few more $$$$ and get a AudioGD Master 11 and EC Balancing act for my HD-600/650/800.

For the price of an HE1K, I would skip HP gear altogether, and possibly put it towards a line preamp or even speaker upgrade for my floor system. HP pricing really has become ridiculous. Payer beware, I guess.  +1 on HE560, which imo is a true "bargain" at $900CAD for me.
p.s. is HE1K really $3K??

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #29,081 of 46,553

Brutal analogy. Guns aren't as subtle as headphones and sound perception. And the effects of guns are irrefutable without direct experience.

For the price of an HE1K, I would skip HP gear altogether, and possibly put it towards a line preamp or even speaker upgrade for my floor system. HP pricing really has become ridiculous. Payer beware, I guess.  +1 on HE560, which imo is a true "bargain" at $900CAD for me.

$3k is just a small blip on the radar when it comes to speaker systems that I've had in the past. Not to even mention room treatment, bass traps etc. But I do agree that the prices for the new totl headphones have gotten a bit OOC. I think that the he1000 would be fair at $2k. Just my opinion. If the QC and build quality was exceptionally good, I'd even be okay with the $3k. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #29,082 of 46,553

$3K is the price on the Hifiman site, my friend said he paid $2700 based on the currency exchange rate.

@MattTCG, agree that speakers are way more costly and if you want to hear them at their best then like my friend you will need to have a nice room designed for speakers which puts the price way more than headphones

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #29,083 of 46,553
I very appreciate the Sennheiser  sound and own and listen with the Momentum Version 2s and HD650s every day. The only headphones to better the HD650s, per my preferences, are the Audeze. When I listened to the LCD-2s, I heard a more resolving and involving version of the HD650s.

Totally agree with you heard the same with lcd2, those are good.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #29,084 of 46,553
True, great speakers + ideal room acoustics + synergy = sublime music listening, but more $$$.
That's the price for sublime musicality. I don't think I've found any HP that even comes close to that experience. 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #29,085 of 46,553
Agree with you guys, HPs are getting way overpriced sometimes, not only he1000, but others like stax 009, lcd3 and hd800 had the same comments. HPs shouldnt go way beyond 1000$. Inflation cant count on all that xD

I think that why you have some classics
Like hd6*0, dt880, he500 etc. which are still apreciated because their good price quality ratio. He560 heard that has a good ratio too and might be at the end better overall option then he1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back