Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #29,102 of 46,564
While I really like my HD650's I think they too can be over priced considering the largely plastic construction and fairly old technology. If you can get them on sale for $300, terrific. I'd go as high as $400. Too bad about our crappy exchange rate and rather firm pricing up here. I paid just over $500 Cdn, plus tax.

Yeah tax is bit bad, i got practicly new (2.9 year warranty) lcd2F for 600$, almost unbeatable price. But import abd Vat put more 200$-300$ on it. Still a good buy but not magical.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #29,104 of 46,564
  For all the people that pays taxes to get them into their country.  if you send them out for warranty, that means you have to pay the tax when it comes back into the the country?

That really sux

If it's returned under an RMA (return merchandise authorization), you shouldn't have to pay duties when manu'fr ships it back to you. They should clearly state on customs label "Repaired Under Warranty".

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #29,105 of 46,564
What is the recommended way of handling HD650 to avoid paint chipping?
Dont put it on hard surface with force, i saw many youtubers did that. Just be gentle... I can guarantee when i will have hd650, Paint whould never chipp for me. By the way i always put my dt990 back in his bag and never on any hard surface.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #29,106 of 46,564
  I'm absolutely loving mine I decided to pair mine with the Project Horizon 3 from Garage1217. Any tube recommendations that work with that amp I'm tube illiterate

I have a Project Horizon II that I use with an Amperex Holland orange globe 6DJ8. It helped with the mid-range and the bass is enough for me. I also use it in a Project Ember (matched pair).

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #29,107 of 46,564

Clipped fingernails. 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #29,112 of 46,564
  True, great speakers + ideal room acoustics + synergy = sublime music listening, but more $$$.
That's the price for sublime musicality. I don't think I've found any HP that even comes close to that experience. 
rolleyes.gif

Headphones have become overpriced to the point of silliness, especially considering the following:

Combined with the Smyth Realiser, even the entry level Stax SRS-2170 kit (currently about $450) are transparent enough to convincingly replicate* any speaker system.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-45-page-2
Revelation: All that done, I sat with the 'phones on while Kramer stored the data. All of a sudden, Smyth's test loop of synthesizer music, which is stored in the A8, came bopping out of the left front speaker. "Okay, that's the left speaker," I said—then realized that I was still wearing the Stax 'phones. Kramer said, "But it's not on bypass." I lowered the headphones and he switched to bypass. It sounded exactly the same. I put the 'phones back on and we repeated the comparison from speaker to speaker. Dammit, it always sounded as if it was coming from "that speaker right there," and not from the 'phones. Back and forth we went, 'phones on and off my head, bypass switched in and out. I was like an infant playing peekaboo: surprised every time. I couldn't believe it.

*With minor caveats, including the lack of visceral bass that headphones can't deliver.

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #29,113 of 46,564
While I really like my HD650's I think they too can be over priced considering the largely plastic construction and fairly old technology. If you can get them on sale for $300, terrific. I'd go as high as $400. Too bad about our crappy exchange rate and rather firm pricing up here. I paid just over $500 Cdn, plus tax.

Wasn't that long ago the coin was reversed and you guys were laughing about how cheap you were getting US goods. 
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #29,114 of 46,564
  Wasn't that long ago the coin was reversed and you guys were laughing about how cheap you were getting US goods. 
wink.gif

Yeah, so now I just avoid buying high-end goods in USD and travellin' south. Easy, actually. 
cool.gif

Everything goes in cycles. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #29,115 of 46,564

Headphones have become overpriced to the point of silliness,

That's true for all of the top tier of High End audio.
Got the Oct issue of Stereophile a couple days ago, back cover has ad for Naim Statement amp, only $240,000.00
Really? Come on, what possible attributes could this amp offer to justify that kind of dough?  Insane

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back