Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #29,086 of 46,564
  True, great speakers + ideal room acoustics + synergy = sublime music listening, but more $$$.
That's the price for sublime musicality. I don't think I've found any HP that even comes close to that experience. 
rolleyes.gif

3K sure won't get you there.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #29,088 of 46,564
I've seen on youtube Jude mentions that when pairing the Abyss with Cavalli Liquid Gold amp that sounds in the headphones feel like physical objects in motions.

Still that probably doesn't match the level of musicality you guys mention that can be reached with the right speaker setup.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #29,089 of 46,564
I've seen on youtube Jude mentions that when pairing the Abyss with Cavalli Liquid Gold amp that sounds in the headphones feel like physical objects in motions.

Still that probably doesn't match the level of musicality you guys mention that can be reached with the right speaker setup.

Not just speakers, They're important, but not the end-all.
For me, line preamps and sources are just as critical, if not more so. 
cool.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #29,090 of 46,564

For the price of an HE1K, I would skip HP gear altogether, and possibly put it towards a line preamp or even speaker upgrade for my floor system. HP pricing really has become ridiculous. Payer beware, I guess.  +1 on HE560, which imo is a true "bargain" at $900CAD for me.
p.s. is HE1K really $3K??

I agree that $3k is ridiculously expensive. HE1K is still far from being the most expensive headphones ever 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #29,091 of 46,564
  I agree that $3k is ridiculously expensive. HE1K is still far from being the most expensive headphones ever 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm investing $3.000 instead of buying a headphone. Seems more sane. That said they sound good, just waaaay overpriced. I can never justify spending that much money on a single headphone.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #29,092 of 46,564
I preferred the Stax SR-007 to the HE-1K's, but for me it was a presentation of intimacy/elegance vs an overall experience of trying to get everything right. Stax have this ethereal/delicate nature that mesmerizes me... whereas with the HE-1K's, I was thinking of how they compared to the HD-800s/HE-560's/LCD's/etc as I listened. They're comparable for sure- strengths and weaknesses aside though, the price is no beuno.

I also think the Stax SRS-2170 system is the closest priced gear* I've heard that give the HD-650's a run for the money. It needs a good source though... the improvement feeding it with the MB Gungnir really allows me to hear some things the Stax are capable of doing very well that the 650's can't. I can actually say that I prefer the experience with the Stax much more often than the LCD-3f's. The 650's still have a more fleshed out midrange and better bass presence... I just think the SRS-2170 is a good recommendation for fans of the 650's.

*The entry level Stax being more than twice the price of the 650's, but I would recommend them used for a bit cheaper. They're also cheaper in the US with the exchange rate. I paid $550 CAD.

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #29,095 of 46,564
I'm absolutely loving mine I decided to pair mine with the Project Horizon 3 from Garage1217. Any tube recommendations that work with that amp I'm tube illiterate

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #29,096 of 46,564
Agree with you guys, HPs are getting way overpriced sometimes, not only he1000, but others like stax 009, lcd3 and hd800 had the same comments. HPs shouldnt go way beyond 1000$. Inflation cant count on all that xD

I think that why you have some classics
Like hd6*0, dt880, he500 etc. which are still apreciated because their good price quality ratio. He560 heard that has a good ratio too and might be at the end better overall option then he1000.

While I really like my HD650's I think they too can be over priced considering the largely plastic construction and fairly old technology. If you can get them on sale for $300, terrific. I'd go as high as $400. Too bad about our crappy exchange rate and rather firm pricing up here. I paid just over $500 Cdn, plus tax.

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #29,097 of 46,564
While I really like my HD650's I think they too can be over priced considering the largely plastic construction and fairly old technology. If you can get them on sale for $300, terrific. I'd go as high as $400. Too bad about our crappy exchange rate and rather firm pricing up here. I paid just over $500 Cdn, plus tax.

Nothing wrong with good durable plastic IMO. Keeps the cost and the weight down. The hd6x0 has a tendency to last as long or longer than any headphone out there. I do concede that they have a tendency for paint chipping if not handled carefully. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #29,098 of 46,564

Nothing wrong with good durable plastic IMO. Keeps the cost and the weight down. The hd6x0 has a tendency to last as long or longer than any headphone out there. I do concede that they have a tendency for paint chipping if not handled carefully. 

What is the recommended way of handling HD650 to avoid paint chipping?

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #29,100 of 46,564
  What is the recommended way of handling HD650 to avoid paint chipping?

I put a small strip of clear packing tape along the front edge of the headband where the chips are historically most likely. I did this to maintain the condition in case I ever wanted to sell it. Selling it just doesn't seem to be an option though...too damned enjoyable for me to let go of. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back