Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #29,056 of 46,570
That's just daft. Everything would end up as average. No opinion other than middle of the road.

I'd rather see absolutely objective reviews if that were the case. Just measure the headphone and say nothing then. At least there's no expectation bias then.

What on earth is HF turning into? Groups of people that can't share opinions because we might start expectation bias?

Well, Goldenears does that. No real discussion at all. Just the measurements. Facts. Not like HF though is it?

Part of the fun of HF surely is communication with other members? Well with most members. :rolleyes:

This HD650 thread has been a gas with all of the twists and turns that it's taken. Goldenears did it in one page. No expectation bias or discussion.

I'm a musician and I have to be honest, some guys in hi fi are kind of stuck in this objective/let's all stay on topic, poe faced attitude that makes you wonder what the point actually is. I thought it might be to do with communication of music, but more and more, it becomes a series of attacks for being off topic, over enthusiastic, under enthusiastic, or smart Alec comments.

Great pity.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #29,057 of 46,570
I didn't. Are you seriously suggesting this thread should be all about the technicalities and not about the soul? If so, you're in a minority of one. The technicalities of the HD 650 have been done to death my friend. Listen to the music.

I'm the one which for 2 times spoon out
off topics very easly, but had to stop to mantain the traid on its initial track. I sad what you sad some pages back, just in other words my friend.
Ask Canadian Maestro. X)
I think almost everything about HD650 has been talked about.
I'm not a tecnicalities fan, i m here just because of the music and have some fun with off topics which this traid has been very good with :D

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #29,058 of 46,570
You know what i meant. :wink:

Yes, of course I did. However, you are behaving like a hi fi cop. This thread is ENORMOUS. How much more needs to be discussed? What's the problem with someone sharing their fun?

I saw nothing wrong with someone posting a piece of music, and I really don't mind about the thread wandering after 1938 pages!!!

Blow it. I'm giving up hi fi. It's getting more and more like stamp collecting. I'm going to become a train spotter. :eek:

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #29,059 of 46,570
That's just daft. Everything would end up as average. No opinion other than middle of the road.

I'd rather see absolutely objective reviews if that were the case. Just measure the headphone and say nothing then. At least there's no expectation bias then.

What on earth is HF turning into? Groups of people that can't share opinions because we might start expectation bias?

Well, Goldenears does that. No real discussion at all. Just the measurements. Facts. Not like HF though is it?

Part of the fun of HF surely is communication with other members? Well with most members. :rolleyes:

This HD650 thread has been a gas with all of the twists and turns that it's taken. Goldenears did it in one page. No expectation bias or discussion.

I'm a musician and I have to be honest, some guys in hi fi are kind of stuck in this objective/let's all stay on topic, poe faced attitude that makes you wonder what the point actually is. I thought it might be to do with communication of music, but more and more, it becomes a series of attacks for being off topic, over enthusiastic, under enthusiastic, or smart Alec comments.

Great pity.

Well i gave 5 stars on my review on HD650, just saying.
The only point i dont start more off topics, because traids where closed from what i heard.
I come here like you said to share opinions and talk.
I agree with you.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #29,060 of 46,570
Yes, of course I did. However, you are behaving like a hi fi cop. This thread is ENORMOUS. How much more needs to be discussed? What's the problem with someone sharing their fun?

I saw nothing wrong with someone posting a piece of music, and I really don't mind about the thread wandering after 1938 pages!!!

Blow it. I'm giving up hi fi. It's getting more and more like stamp collecting.

Lol i actually i dont mind people sharing what they want. Exactly oposite
of being any controller.

Btw, i think whats happening here is that my english is not very good and expressed myself not the way i meant.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #29,061 of 46,570
I would give the HD 650 3 stars out of 5. Only because there may be better out there ( and research would suggest there isn't much) but for me, at this price, it's an excellent pair of headphones.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #29,062 of 46,570
Lol i actually i dont mind people sharing what they want. Exactly oposite
of being any controller.

Btw, i think whats happening here is that my english is not very good and expressed myself not the way i meant.

Ah. That might account for misunderstanding. 'Traid' is spelt 'Thread'.

The number of stars and deciding how many is difficult. Like Solrighal, I would award 3 or 4 for the Senn, given lack of really low sub bass and quite subdued top. Plus the mid bass hump.

Given the price though, I'd say 5.

I don't like what's going on with these top of the range headphones and their pricing. In fact, we're possibly all beginning to accept £1000 plus for headphones now; even with problems of their own.

Th900 is near £1000 and they still used the rubbish connection for the cups. It also has a raised bass and some say, recessed mids. At £1000? Does that mean the th900 should also be 4 stars?

So no difference as far as stars go for hd650 or th900.

I could do more fishing I guess.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #29,063 of 46,570
Koss portapro 2 stars on performance but 5 given the price? So if the Senn and Portapro both get 5 as far as performance/price goes, they become equals?

That's where subjectivity might be more important and why so many rave about the Portapro. It's not a great performer really, but it's a great price.

Compared to an he1000 it's absolute rubbish, so maybe zero stars?

Opinions are needed, but we also need to understand where the reviewer is coming from when they write their review.

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #29,064 of 46,570
I totally agree with you ian, the pricing is getting out of hand. Take a look at HE1K. Great headphone but way overpriced. I'm glad there's still some good value left. I'm really excited to recieve HD650 and DT150. Good price/performance I've heard. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #29,065 of 46,570
I've used dt150 for years as a studio performing headphone. It's great for playing into. Plays loud with ease and the rolled down top ensures no pain at high volume. Very comfortable and can literally be sat on safely!!

Wonderful headphone but because of its looks, doesn't really get that much notice in the modern market.

I do wish that Headfiers would refrain from buying the ridiculously priced headphones. Then the companies have some thinking to do. Choices as to whether to continue to make premium phones or start being less greedy.

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #29,066 of 46,570
I've been having a hard time picking which one. I chose HD650 few months ago and few days ago, I chose Mad Dogs Pro. Today, I would like to get an HD650 again. I'm not sure which I want to buy. Looking at few pics of HD650. It looks it will break easily and quality is so so. What are your thoughts about this?

Also, if I listen to music, will the person beside me hear it? I remember reading that it's an open headphone. The reason I asked is because I listen to music when I am on my way to work(inside the train for 1hr+).

I hope you can help me folks. My max budget is $450.

Thanks a lot!

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #29,067 of 46,570
Ah. That might account for misunderstanding. 'Traid' is spelt 'Thread'.

The number of stars and deciding how many is difficult. Like Solrighal, I would award 3 or 4 for the Senn, given lack of really low sub bass and quite subdued top. Plus the mid bass hump.

Given the price though, I'd say 5.

I don't like what's going on with these top of the range headphones and their pricing. In fact, we're possibly all beginning to accept £1000 plus for headphones now; even with problems of their own.

Th900 is near £1000 and they still used the rubbish connection for the cups. It also has a raised bass and some say, recessed mids. At £1000? Does that mean the th900 should also be 4 stars?

So no difference as far as stars go for hd650 or th900.

I could do more fishing I guess.

Have you tried the HD650's with the coin mod, and removing the rear dampening? Brings out the treble and a touch more clarity...

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #29,068 of 46,570
I haven't, but I have tried an amp design by Solderdude called a 'Kameleon' which raises the sub bass massively and cuts the mid bass hump. The result is a leaner sounding headphone with bass that goes much deeper. With the mid bass lowered, the top seems clearer.

It transforms it into another league IMO.

Removing the rear dampening is also a mod that some perform on the AKG headphones as well, in order to raise bass levels. I have a K702 and a K712 which AKG have raised the bass on, so the K712 seems a much more pleasant headphone to my ears.

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #29,069 of 46,570
I haven't, but I have tried an amp design by Solderdude called a 'Kameleon' which raises the sub bass massively and cuts the mid bass hump. The result is a leaner sounding headphone with bass that goes much deeper. With the mid bass lowered, the top seems clearer.

It transforms it into another league IMO.

Removing the rear dampening is also a mod that some perform on the AKG headphones as well, in order to raise bass levels. I have a K702 and a K712 which AKG have raised the bass on, so the K712 seems a much more pleasant headphone to my ears.

Give those 2 mods a try if you're feeling adventurous... Quick and easy...

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #29,070 of 46,570
  I've been having a hard time picking which one. I chose HD650 few months ago and few days ago, I chose Mad Dogs Pro. Today, I would like to get an HD650 again. I'm not sure which I want to buy. Looking at few pics of HD650. It looks it will break easily and quality is so so. What are your thoughts about this?

Also, if I listen to music, will the person beside me hear it? I remember reading that it's an open headphone. The reason I asked is because I listen to music when I am on my way to work(inside the train for 1hr+).

I hope you can help me folks. My max budget is $450.

Thanks a lot!

Yes they are open back phones and someone sitting right next to you on the train will hear you music, as will people a little further depending on how loud you listen.
If you are using your phones mainly for portable use a closed phone might be a better choice, They also require a bit of power from there drive so again maybe not the best for you.  Besides my HD 650s I have a set of Momentum Over the Ears which I enjoy immensely for portable use. They don't have the detail of 650s but in most cases like on the train there's too much background noise to worry about the ultimate detail. The Monmentums are much more sensitive than the 650s and will play much louder from a low power source like a phone or portable player.. If you have a chance get a listen to them, might be a better fit for your needs, and a lot cheaper. You can get a set of the dicontinued Version 1 over ears for under $200. on ebay.   Just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back