Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #41,971 of 46,499
Based on what deftone said and I've heard others say they are more sensitive to upper-mids, and another person pointed out 600 for this and 600 does have more upper mids energy and perceptionally stands out due to being less warm in bass area and low bass level, causing a colder tilt. On the other hand, 800 actually has the least upper-mids energy, and some people seem to tolerate it better, so it seems some people are more sensitive to upper-mids.

I've found my sensitivity to be in the 6-10k range. Above that its not so bad.

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #41,972 of 46,499
This goes with what I stated about HD660S being a bit muted with the dynamics, and having to turn up the volume to get the peaks. 6XX does get more dynamic.

No problems with dynamics being muted here on 660S also does not introduce peaks at loud volumes, stays balanced for me. I actually have the pot turned up more than i ever did with 650.

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #41,973 of 46,499
The Sennheiser HD 540 Gold (Brainwavz round Sheepskin pads) actually sounds smoother in the uppermids but more sparkly in the upper treble than the HD 650 (2012) with the very cheap ebay cable… Vocals sound more present as well, but I'm not too sure about that. Possibly because of the better transient response, they seem more separated creating the impression they're more forward, which I was not expecting.

Otherwise they sound similar, they both have that great natural timbre, and I could not say one is more natural than the other. HD 650 is more detailed however.

So if you want an HD 650 with less midbass emphasis, more upper treble air but a smoother upper mids section, I can recommend the HD 540 Gold with the round Brainwavz Sheepskin pads (not with the stock pads)

Gonna try the HD 540 Gold with the HD 650 cable tomorrow (I have the Canare and Mogami cables which are the best, but don't like the heavy weight of them dragging the headphones down too much for me) and see if they can outperform the HD 650.

I do like the sound and flexibility of the stock HD 650 cable, and a user on ebay sells the HD 650 cable shortened in length with a mini-plug, I think I'll buy that one.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #41,974 of 46,499
I was curious about the hd650 but all this talk about the harsh upper mids made me reconsider. I have old hd580 and they're a bit too forward around 2-5khz, which makes some female vocals sound shrill and eletric guitars are kinda bright. That's why i prefer my ad2000 and dt150 over the hd580.

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #41,975 of 46,499
I was curious about the hd650 but all this talk about the harsh upper mids made me reconsider. I have old hd580 and they're a bit too forward around 2-5khz, which makes some female vocals sound shrill and eletric guitars are kinda bright. That's why i prefer my ad2000 and dt150 over the hd580.
Vocals arent shrill on the 650 but the electric guitars are definitely bright.

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #41,976 of 46,499
Which 580? Precision or Jubilee? Jubilee is HD600. 650/6XX has less presence there than the 600

Vocals arent shrill on the 650 but the electric guitars are definitely bright.
Rock is the genre I like HD6XX with, particularly classic rock to bring out the mids. :smile_phones: The older recordings maybe a bit muted in the mids is the reason for it, but this should be different with modern mastering.

If you look at curves before compensation, upper mids are generally raised. Compensation target curves are about raising upper mids.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #41,977 of 46,499
Which 580? Precision or Jubilee? Jubilee is HD600. 650/6XX has less presence there than the 600

Rock is the genre I like HD6XX with, particularly classic rock to bring out the mids. :smile_phones: The older recordings maybe a bit muted in the mids is the reason for it, but this should be different with modern mastering.

If you look at curves before compensation, upper mids are generally raised. Compensation target curves are about raising upper mids.

He said "old 580"

Ive heard the recessed mids in older recordings but I dont like classic rock, i love more modern stuff Machine Head, Opeth, Lamb of God. Im usually a 90s onwards guy with a few exeptions for the classics like Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica.

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #41,979 of 46,499
The Sennheiser HD 540 Gold (Brainwavz round Sheepskin pads) actually sounds smoother in the uppermids but more sparkly in the upper treble than the HD 650 (2012) with the very cheap ebay cable… Vocals sound more present as well, but I'm not too sure about that. Possibly because of the better transient response, they seem more separated creating the impression they're more forward, which I was not expecting.

Otherwise they sound similar, they both have that great natural timbre, and I could not say one is more natural than the other. HD 650 is more detailed however.

So if you want an HD 650 with less midbass emphasis, more upper treble air but a smoother upper mids section, I can recommend the HD 540 Gold with the round Brainwavz Sheepskin pads (not with the stock pads)

Gonna try the HD 540 Gold with the HD 650 cable tomorrow (I have the Canare and Mogami cables which are the best, but don't like the heavy weight of them dragging the headphones down too much for me) and see if they can outperform the HD 650.

I do like the sound and flexibility of the stock HD 650 cable, and a user on ebay sells the HD 650 cable shortened in length with a mini-plug, I think I'll buy that one.

I find that my Schiit Loki does a pretty good job of taming what needs taming and adding what needs adding.

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #41,983 of 46,499
This goes with what I stated about HD660S being a bit muted with the dynamics, and having to turn up the volume to get the peaks. 6XX does get more dynamic.

I would say the same thing about the HD-650 ... IMO, they don't do as well at lower volumes.

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #41,984 of 46,499

I've heard a stock HD650 & a heavily modded HD650 (modded by Jupiter Audio Research) at great length in my system, which includes 1 OTL tube amp & 5 SS amps of varying power & designs. I now own the JAR modded HD650, which is just superb, crazy-good.

All that time, I never heard any upper midrange peak like several are discussing here. I can't explain why they hear something and I don't. But I honestly never even read about FC peaks in the HD650 as often/intently as just in the past 1-2 weeks in this thread.

I never heard the HD580, so can't comment. But I am more treble/glare-averse than just about anyone I know (just look at my list of headphones and see for yourself)--and I LOVE the HD650. It's not perfect, but it does very little wrong & IMO is unfailingly musical.

Jan 21, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #41,985 of 46,499
I've heard a stock HD650 & a heavily modded HD650 (modded by Jupiter Audio Research) at great length in my system, which includes 1 OTL tube amp & 5 SS amps of varying power & designs. I now own the JAR modded HD650, which is just superb, crazy-good.

All that time, I never heard any upper midrange peak like several are discussing here. I can't explain why they hear something and I don't. But I honestly never even read about FC peaks in the HD650 as often/intently as just in the past 1-2 weeks in this thread.

I never heard the HD580, so can't comment. But I am more treble/glare-averse than just about anyone I know (just look at my list of headphones and see for yourself)--and I LOVE the HD650. It's not perfect, but it does very little wrong & IMO is unfailingly musical.

Do you listen to modern metal or hard rock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back