1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by tangsta, Sep 24, 2006.
  1. dakanao
    I found that the way the HD 650 are positioned on your head make a big difference with that upper-mid emphasis.

If the cups are perfectly alligned with your ears, it's not noticable at all. If you get a bad seal, it sticks out noticably more and the bass gets a good amount reduced. It definitely does get more refined with a Mogami or Canare mini star quad cable, but even me who is extremely upper-mids sensitive, with this 2012 pair and stock cable it's not a problem with the Chord Mojo.

2. BrotherKathos
    I've found my sensitivity to be in the 6-10k range. Above that its not so bad.

3. Deftone
    No problems with dynamics being muted here on 660S also does not introduce peaks at loud volumes, stays balanced for me. I actually have the pot turned up more than i ever did with 650.

4. dakanao
    The Sennheiser HD 540 Gold (Brainwavz round Sheepskin pads) actually sounds smoother in the uppermids but more sparkly in the upper treble than the HD 650 (2012) with the very cheap ebay cable… Vocals sound more present as well, but I'm not too sure about that. Possibly because of the better transient response, they seem more separated creating the impression they're more forward, which I was not expecting.

Otherwise they sound similar, they both have that great natural timbre, and I could not say one is more natural than the other. HD 650 is more detailed however.

So if you want an HD 650 with less midbass emphasis, more upper treble air but a smoother upper mids section, I can recommend the HD 540 Gold with the round Brainwavz Sheepskin pads (not with the stock pads)

Gonna try the HD 540 Gold with the HD 650 cable tomorrow (I have the Canare and Mogami cables which are the best, but don't like the heavy weight of them dragging the headphones down too much for me) and see if they can outperform the HD 650.

I do like the sound and flexibility of the stock HD 650 cable, and a user on ebay sells the HD 650 cable shortened in length with a mini-plug, I think I'll buy that one.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  5. rhiga
    I was curious about the hd650 but all this talk about the harsh upper mids made me reconsider. I have old hd580 and they're a bit too forward around 2-5khz, which makes some female vocals sound shrill and eletric guitars are kinda bright. That's why i prefer my ad2000 and dt150 over the hd580.

Deftone likes this.
  6. Deftone
    Vocals arent shrill on the 650 but the electric guitars are definitely bright.

7. SilverEars
    Which 580? Precision or Jubilee? Jubilee is HD600. 650/6XX has less presence there than the 600

Rock is the genre I like HD6XX with, particularly classic rock to bring out the mids. :smile_phones: The older recordings maybe a bit muted in the mids is the reason for it, but this should be different with modern mastering.

If you look at curves before compensation, upper mids are generally raised. Compensation target curves are about raising upper mids.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  8. Deftone
    He said "old 580"

Ive heard the recessed mids in older recordings but I dont like classic rock, i love more modern stuff Machine Head, Opeth, Lamb of God. Im usually a 90s onwards guy with a few exeptions for the classics like Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica.

9. yangian
    Can anyone give me some feedback on 6xx with balanced mode of Jotunheim and OTL staff like Valhalla 2 or DK 336se? Thanks

10. Tuneslover
    I find that my Schiit Loki does a pretty good job of taming what needs taming and adding what needs adding.

11. Focux
    if i alr have a 6XX and mojo,

what model from schiit would u guys recommend

so as to step up/unleash the full/more potential of the 6XX?

12. Tin Trinh
    Hello ,anybody pair hd6xx with ak240 , is this enough power ? I have ak240 and going to get a hd6xx from massdrop . Thanks

13. rhiga
    I'm talking about the precision hd580 (made in ireland, black screen), mine are modded with hd600 grills and hd650 cables.

14. Krutsch
    I would say the same thing about the HD-650 ... IMO, they don't do as well at lower volumes.

15. Pharmaboy
    I've heard a stock HD650 & a heavily modded HD650 (modded by Jupiter Audio Research) at great length in my system, which includes 1 OTL tube amp & 5 SS amps of varying power & designs. I now own the JAR modded HD650, which is just superb, crazy-good.

All that time, I never heard any upper midrange peak like several are discussing here. I can't explain why they hear something and I don't. But I honestly never even read about FC peaks in the HD650 as often/intently as just in the past 1-2 weeks in this thread.

I never heard the HD580, so can't comment. But I am more treble/glare-averse than just about anyone I know (just look at my list of headphones and see for yourself)--and I LOVE the HD650. It's not perfect, but it does very little wrong & IMO is unfailingly musical.

DavidA and jimmers like this.