1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by tangsta, Sep 24, 2006.
  1. dakanao
    I think vocal forwardness has more to do with lower midrange emphasis, transient response and soundstage width than upper mid emphasis. I find a recession in the uppermids fine for vocals as long as the upper treble isn't dull and lower mids are forward.

2. Tuneslover
    I have both the HD650 (2013) and HD6XX. They both sound very similar but the HD6XX has ever so slightly more treble energy.

DavidA likes this.
  3. metsat
    I totally agree. I would say that HD6XX is closer to HD600 in terms of sound signature because of that treble energy. HD650 to my ears are much more laid back and smoother sounding. Easy on the ears.

4. Deftone
    The HD650 is very smooth no matter what music i played but the problem was the 5khz peak is too aggressive (not sibilant or harsh) but too forward for electric guitars and became hard on the ears so i was limited to around 30-60 mins, HD660S fixed that and has better clarity and can listen for hours. If you like other genres of music other than rock and metal you will have no problems, i tested it with many other genres and its easy listening.

HD650 and HD6XX sound identical when using worn in pads from 650, new pads give a brighter sound.

HD660S sounded much brighter and bigger soundstage with new pads at first but with worn pads its very close to HD650.

HD58X is the worst sounding technically out of the bunch but is fun to listen to.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  5. BrotherKathos
    I've never head the 650, but I do prefer jacking the treble adjustment down on the loki to around 11:00 when listening to louder music on my hd6xx. Its got just a bit too much forward treble for me there. Or I guess you would call it upper mids since the adjustment is targeted at 8K.

Deftone likes this.
  6. jimmers
    Where did you get the aggressive 5kHz peak from?

7. SilverEars
    I consider up to 6k upper mids, and 6k and on wards treble. 5k is upper mids and 8k is definately treble. I'm surprised you need adjustment with Loki for 6XX, but you are using THX 789, arn't you? LOL

Others previously were stating there is slightly more treble energy with 6XX, based on direct comparison with 650, but what area in the treble are they referring to? Is it the upper-mids since it does come off a bit forward on the 6XX/650/600 siblings, but not in a way I would consider fatiguing, as 6XX is not a headphone that can get fatiguing, it's really easy to listen to for all kinds of stuff.

8. Deftone
    I've tried a ton of headphones over the years and HD650 are the only ones that have that kind of aggression in 5.5kz region somewhere abouts there, ok or maybe Shure SE846 but that was a long time ago and cant remember much. Electric guitars in metal bring it out and its too tiring on my ears, i dont listen to any other genres like classical, jazz, world music or it wouldnt be an issue if i did. Acoustic sounds phenomenal on HD650 though i have to give it that and it doesnt bring out that problem at 5k. With HD660S the sound is more balanced so i can listen for hours and not feeling like the guitar is so close im chewing on the strings.

I dont know if its still being made but there used to be an amp that was designed to mute that mid peak in 600/650 just a tad.

9. BrotherKathos
    It all depends on your own hearing ability, types of music, and loudness preference. Only when I really crank it up do I need to turn the treble down. Most of the time I've left it alone. I'm also using a fairly bright dac compared to the rest I own in the SMSL M9.

10. SilverEars
    Loki is 8K onwards for the upper registers, but 6XX/650 shouldn't have elevations in that area. 800/S does and 600 is between them in terms of treble intensity.

But, like you say something could be bright in your chain, but I expect it to be somewhere in the upper mids for 6XX/650 in regards to it's characteristics.

11. BrotherKathos
    Its most likely just my preference being abnormal. I typically don't like too much treble at loud volumes. I do like treble at low volumes though. I wish there were amps that dynamically adjusted treble reproduction with volume, like home theater processors do for bass response.

12. Deftone
    In my opinion the treble does become more alive at higher volumes on 650 so i agree with you.

There is a very well done loudness feature in the ADI2 that does exactly what youre saying for the treble and many people love it and use it all the time.

13. SilverEars
    Based on what deftone said and I've heard others say they are more sensitive to upper-mids, and another person pointed out 600 for this and 600 does have more upper mids energy and perceptionally stands out due to being less warm in bass area and low bass level, causing a colder tilt. On the other hand, 800 actually has the least upper-mids energy, and some people seem to tolerate it better, so it seems some people are more sensitive to upper-mids.

14. BrotherKathos
    Ahh, that ADI 2 has been on my list for a while now. I've been thinking about it especially due to its eq, but did not know about that feature. That's just one more little nudge.

Deftone likes this.
  15. SilverEars
    This goes with what I stated about HD660S being a bit muted with the dynamics, and having to turn up the volume to get the peaks. 6XX does get more dynamic.