1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by tangsta, Sep 24, 2006.
  1. Deftone
    Do you listen to modern metal or hard rock?

2. Deftone
    Mojo is too thick and warm for 6XX/650, it was designed for cheaper low quality headphones and iems that the average joe would likely have and we all know how poor quality the treble is on them so its to smooth them out a bit and give some warmth .Personaly id go for THX789 (balanced) ,CMA400i (balanced, rHead (SE).

Jotunheim is compressed, hard sounding and way over hyped in my opinion, but this is what i hear and you should try as much stuff as possible for yourself if you can.

TYATYA likes this.
  3. Focux
    will check those out, thank you

4. Pharmaboy
    No. However, I listen to a range of well-recorded studio recordings in various genres (AfroPop, Reggae, Blues; Trance; EDM), some of which has quite distinct energy in the upper mids/lower treble. Certain of these recordings can sound rather edgy on certain headphones that are especially transparent (ie, ZMF Eikon).

I also listen to a lot of acoustic jazz, electric jazz, classical, choral, none of which stresses potential brightness/peakiness in any of my headphones.

I believe that if a given headphone had a pronounced frequency spike or plateau in the mids/upper mids, such that it affected pretty much all music w/any energy in that range--I would quickly hear that and not like it at all. I just don't hear that in both HD650s (stock vs modded) that I've spent time with here...

DavidA likes this.
  5. Deftone
    You wont have an issue, its compressed distorted electric guitars that bring it out. You can fix this with EQ on 650 but i dont like the effect it has on the rest of the sound. Its better to just get a headphone that was designed to have the dip and it fixes the problem for me. IE800/S HD660S HD800/S and LCD series.

TYATYA likes this.
  6. dakanao
    I don't think the average joe will spend $400~ on a portable DAC/amp when using cheap IEMs/headphones.

I don't find the Mojo too thick or warm at all with the HD 650, it's actually very clear and extremely refined and natural.

7. SilverEars
    I guess it depends on what you connect it two, but I tried outputting Mojo and Hugo 2's output to my JBL LSR305 monitor speakers and I noticed Hugo 2 is warmer out of the two (you notice the warmer ambient sounds in movies being present), but if you use Hugo 2 as a DAC, I wouldn't consider it warm comparatively to other DACs out there.

I can't see Mojo generally considered warm.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    displayname likes this.
  8. KopaneDePooj
    I'm looking for opinions from people that used the HD 6XX with FiiO Q5 and stock amp module AM3A - balanced. It outputs 63 mW into 300 ohm. And peak output voltage 10 Vp-p.
    I have this setup and it sounds very good both in terms of sound signature and available volume / power (I'm around 11 o'clock on volume knob on high gain with the balanced cable). Don't feel that anything is missing in any frequency range.
    But I'd be interested in comparisons with more powerful desktop amps with a linear / neutral sound. No tubes. Basically I'm curious if I'm missing anything in terms of drive ability.
    Thanks!

9. castleofargh Contributor
    I've been wondering about that for a long time and sadly I don't really know how to properly test it. my first assumption is simply that anything with a fair amount of roll off at both ends is going to feel "meh" at low levels because of how hearing works and how our sensitivity to low and high freqs reduces at lower listening levels(equal loudness contour, blablablah). but I've never been able to find out if there is something else, some objective phenomenon explaining what we feel.
    what @SilverEars said about the 660 would imply a very non linear behavior with regard to amplitudes, which is probably not what's physically happening with that headphone. so let's say the notion of dynamic here is subjective. now we're back to equal loudness contour and initial signature of the headphone, as subjectively a different signature can and will feel like it has a different dynamic.
    when I try to check how my hd650 behaves, sadly I'm pretty limited at low volume levels as most measurements get swamped by ambient noise, so I don't know much about what's going on. I can only say that the signature doesn't change, that part is caused by the human. but the accuracy/linearity of the waves at low levels? IDK. I'd love to have someone working on drivers to share his views on this. basically, do we need/want to listen louder entirely because of us or is it also sometimes because of the headphone and that's why we feel like those aren't as good as others at low volume level?

Deftone, DavidA and Krutsch like this.
  10. Krutsch
    I don't know the answer, but I when I purchased by 650s, many years ago, I was coming from Grado RS2i as my first *real* set of 'phones. Love or hate Grado, they scale extremely well with respect to volume (i.e. they maintain a consistent sound signature, quiet or loud).

The first two things I noticed about the HD-650 was: 1) I needed a new amp :L3000: and 2) low-level listening was not a strong attribute. Years later, I maintain the same opinion.

11. Tuneslover
    So when you're in the mood for louder volume, enjoy the HD650's (and they DO sound great with the proper amp). When you want to listen at lower levels put the 650's aside and use a headphone that sounds great at quieter levels. That's why many of us own more than 1 pair of headphones. Also, specific headphones excel with certain genres of music and sound terrible for other genres. Again that's why owning more than 1 or 2 pair of headphones is so prevalent.

DavidA and boblauer like this.
  12. donutbits
    No regrets buying hd650. I was about to buy the hd700 but went for the 650. My friend soon got the 700 after, we tried them together and I can say that I am glad I bought the 650. The 700 are quite comfortable but treble can be a bit too much. although i do like it’s resolution, comfort, and soundstage compared to the 650.

Guidostrunk and Deftone like this.
  13. castleofargh Contributor
    oh you make me consider the opposite of what I just suspected. if the headphone has massively rolled off low end and upper freqs, then it's all good because you were already missing those at normal level ^_^.
    again I have no idea what else may come into play, but that's another possibility I never thought about and in fact one that makes even more sense than my first idea.

14. megabigeye
    I really don't know much about headphone science, etc., but I wonder if it has to do with the impedance curve of the headphone?
    I have the HD 650 and Beyer DT 1990, and neither are good at low volume, both also have impedance curves that are all over the map. Same with the HD 660.
    The Oppo PM-3 are really good at low volume, and their impedance curve is practically flat. The RS2i also have a relatively flat impedance and are allegedly good at low volumes.
    My guess (again, without really knowing what the heck I'm talking about) is the lower power used for low volumes isn't enough to overcome the mismatched impedances, causing the drivers to react differently at different frequencies, ultimately making the headphone just sound off.

Or maybe it's all just a coincidence. I'd happily be proven wrong.

Krutsch likes this.
  15. KopaneDePooj
    I don't understand what everybody is talking about. My HD 6XX sounds good at any volume. Of course at lower volume the impact of some frequencies is less pronounced. This is normal. Unless you apply compression. Then everything will sound louder at lower volumes too :)
    There is also the possibility that some people have less sensitivity at lower volumes after listening too loud for too long. I think that the headphones they say sound good at low volumes are in fact too aggressively tuned and sound compressed.

jimmers likes this.