1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by tangsta, Sep 24, 2006.
  1. joseph69
    No, it says 'HD6XX'.

2. megabigeye
    Huh. I know I've read more than once that it says it in small print somewhere. I wanna say they said it's near the bottom, or by the barcode, or something (but this may just be my brain interpolating). Of course, I have no idea if what I've read is true. Or maybe it was on the older boxes, but not the new? Who knows.

3. joseph69
    You're correct. It does say HD650 in small print on the bottom of the box near the barcode. I only looked at the front of the box where is say HD6XX.

IMG_0301.jpg IMG_0299.jpg

trellus, riffrafff and megabigeye like this.
  4. megabigeye
    Cool! Thank you for confirming that!

5. joseph69
    You're welcome.

6. joseph69
    PS:
    I received my HD6XX in March-April '17.

7. t4t3r
    6xx box definitely says Model: HD 650

Also, these are available again today for immediate shipping.

trellus likes this.
  8. tafens
    Probably they are going to drop over again for as long as they sell well :) (same with the HD58X)

9. SilverEars
    They sold over 55k, and they aint stoppin!

10. DavidA
    You have a good point and I would say that its quite possible but I think its the QC on the HD6XX that might be where the cost saving are coming from since all the HD650's that I've compared were quite close in sound as long as comparing the same driver version and my HD6XX is quite different, like the difference between a HD600 and HD650.

11. megabigeye
    Huh. I wonder. I figured the low price was due to the fact that the HD 650 is now a dozen years old and has since paid for itself, but maybe you're right.

12. DavidA
    You are also probably right that the R&D has been paid for so they can be made for a cheaper price.

13. penmarker
    They'd still need to charge for what it's worth (which I think) in terms of sound quality and scalability. Sennheiser still needs to pay their employees and other operational costs, plus profits so they can make more products. that will benefit all of us.

14. SP Wild
    Relying on a decade long memory is definitely flawed. Otherwise I agree with most of your observations.

The HD650, my one, has a tad more uppermid volume than the 58X. The 58X presents more space and air in the uppermids.

Acoustic instruments recorded in a studio sounds a bit better with the HD650 than the 58X. It reminds me of a sound treated studio environment, where there is no reverb in the sound.

Acoustic bass also sounds better on the HD650 than the HD58X. There is more space in the bass. Play a funk track with lots of slap bass, the HD58X can't keep up with the HD650.

The HD650 bass is definitely more airier and faster to me. The HD58X has a better attack to the bass, but after the attack, it's very thick and blurred with no air.

HD58X bass is way over rated. However the rest of the spectrum is compatible with a bit more recordings than the HD650.

As the sand falls through the glass of time and so this gap will widen in favour of the 58X.

But going through some recordings with the HD650 on tubes...them blues guitars are divine. There is nothing out there that can better this.

15. SilverEars
    You referring to my little tiny disclaimer at the bottom that it was almost 10 yrs ago? LOL.

I'm fully aware it can't be certain as my source and amp changed over the years, and perhaps my brain/ears have changed enough over the years as well, but I doubt that my ears would change to more sensitive to treble as I age.

Why I pointed out about 10 yrs ago was to point out that it was the HD650 manufactured back then if there was any changes in the acoustics over time.

As far as sound characteristic recall from almost 10 years ago, I can't write a detailed impression (as I can't replay the sounds in my head), but what I noted of the characteristic I recall. Yes, a direct comparison provides the most certainty as memory is flawed.

Never thought I'd come back to Sennheiser, but now I understand when people say, they rebought a Sennheiser.

I think Sennheiser is a brand the chances are high you start off with, and then you explore other headphones, and then finally realize how great value the Sennheisers are once you go back to them.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018