Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #41,716 of 46,499
No, it says 'HD6XX'.
Huh. I know I've read more than once that it says it in small print somewhere. I wanna say they said it's near the bottom, or by the barcode, or something (but this may just be my brain interpolating). Of course, I have no idea if what I've read is true. Or maybe it was on the older boxes, but not the new? Who knows.

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #41,717 of 46,499
Huh. I know I've read more than once that it says it in small print somewhere. I wanna say they said it's near the bottom, or by the barcode, or something (but this may just be my brain interpolating). Of course, I have no idea if what I've read is true. Or maybe it was on the older boxes, but not the new? Who knows.
You're correct. It does say HD650 in small print on the bottom of the box near the barcode. I only looked at the front of the box where is say HD6XX.

IMG_0301.jpg IMG_0299.jpg

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #41,722 of 46,499
Probably they are going to drop over again for as long as they sell well :) (same with the HD58X)

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #41,724 of 46,499
I often wonder if this isn't just the tolerances that headphone manufacturers, uh, tolerate? That would help explain why some people hear the HD 650 and HD 6XX as different and some hear them as the same. It might also help explain why some hear them as veiled, some don't. I'd imagine that a percentage point or two along the frequency spectrum could add up to be something subtle but noticeable. And if the drivers are matched, the differences won't be obvious without comparing directly to another headphone of the same make. Doesn't the HD 6XX box say "HD 650" right on it?
Of course, I don't have the HD 6XX, only the 650, so this is just what I've gathered from reading.

Anyway, just a thought.

You have a good point and I would say that its quite possible but I think its the QC on the HD6XX that might be where the cost saving are coming from since all the HD650's that I've compared were quite close in sound as long as comparing the same driver version and my HD6XX is quite different, like the difference between a HD600 and HD650.

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #41,725 of 46,499
You have a good point and I would say that its quite possible but I think its the QC on the HD6XX that might be where the cost saving are coming from since all the HD650's that I've compared were quite close in sound as long as comparing the same driver version and my HD6XX is quite different, like the difference between a HD600 and HD650.
Huh. I wonder. I figured the low price was due to the fact that the HD 650 is now a dozen years old and has since paid for itself, but maybe you're right.

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #41,727 of 46,499
They'd still need to charge for what it's worth (which I think) in terms of sound quality and scalability. Sennheiser still needs to pay their employees and other operational costs, plus profits so they can make more products. that will benefit all of us.

Sep 29, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #41,728 of 46,499
I can't help but to point out that HD6XX is not identical to HD650 in sound, particularly the treble response. HD6XX has forward 6k in comparison. In the past, my impression of the HD650 was a bit veiled, but HD6XX doesn't seem to be although I wish it has more shimmery highs (for better instrumental tonality) than just forward female vocals (3-4k). It sounds more agressive than what I recall of the HD650 in terms of forwardness and the obvious 6k peak.
I got to admit that bass impact was hefty and came out stronger than I expected (keep seeing the bass roll-off in the graphs). Matter a fact, it comes out stronger than the HD58X. HD6XX overall character is definitely more forward than the HD58X. It sounds more cohesive in the forwardness. It's not like it's the most forward headphone or anything (Focals like Elex or Utopia are more forward), but I'm pointing this out because I was expecting it to sound like HD650.

My HD650 was from almost 10 years ago.

Relying on a decade long memory is definitely flawed. Otherwise I agree with most of your observations.

The HD650, my one, has a tad more uppermid volume than the 58X. The 58X presents more space and air in the uppermids.

Acoustic instruments recorded in a studio sounds a bit better with the HD650 than the 58X. It reminds me of a sound treated studio environment, where there is no reverb in the sound.

Acoustic bass also sounds better on the HD650 than the HD58X. There is more space in the bass. Play a funk track with lots of slap bass, the HD58X can't keep up with the HD650.

The HD650 bass is definitely more airier and faster to me. The HD58X has a better attack to the bass, but after the attack, it's very thick and blurred with no air.

HD58X bass is way over rated. However the rest of the spectrum is compatible with a bit more recordings than the HD650.

As the sand falls through the glass of time and so this gap will widen in favour of the 58X.

But going through some recordings with the HD650 on tubes...them blues guitars are divine. There is nothing out there that can better this.

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #41,729 of 46,499
Relying on a decade long memory is definitely flawed. Otherwise I agree with most of your observations.

The HD650, my one, has a tad more uppermid volume than the 58X. The 58X presents more space and air in the uppermids.

Acoustic instruments recorded in a studio sounds a bit better with the HD650 than the 58X. It reminds me of a sound treated studio environment, where there is no reverb in the sound.

Acoustic bass also sounds better on the HD650 than the HD58X. There is more space in the bass. Play a funk track with lots of slap bass, the HD58X can't keep up with the HD650.

The HD650 bass is definitely more airier and faster to me. The HD58X has a better attack to the bass, but after the attack, it's very thick and blurred with no air.

HD58X bass is way over rated. However the rest of the spectrum is compatible with a bit more recordings than the HD650.

As the sand falls through the glass of time and so this gap will widen in favour of the 58X.

But going through some recordings with the HD650 on tubes...them blues guitars are divine. There is nothing out there that can better this.
You referring to my little tiny disclaimer at the bottom that it was almost 10 yrs ago? LOL.

I'm fully aware it can't be certain as my source and amp changed over the years, and perhaps my brain/ears have changed enough over the years as well, but I doubt that my ears would change to more sensitive to treble as I age.

Why I pointed out about 10 yrs ago was to point out that it was the HD650 manufactured back then if there was any changes in the acoustics over time.

As far as sound characteristic recall from almost 10 years ago, I can't write a detailed impression (as I can't replay the sounds in my head), but what I noted of the characteristic I recall. Yes, a direct comparison provides the most certainty as memory is flawed.

Never thought I'd come back to Sennheiser, but now I understand when people say, they rebought a Sennheiser.

I think Sennheiser is a brand the chances are high you start off with, and then you explore other headphones, and then finally realize how great value the Sennheisers are once you go back to them.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #41,730 of 46,499

Haven't heard HD58X--but have heard a stock HD650 & heavily modded one ("J-Mod") at great length. We can talk all day about various technicalities, this or that part of frequency range, soundstaging, etc. But IMHO, the HD650 simply has soul...the soul of music comes through it. I don't know how headphone designers can do that, but when it happens, that's a headphone for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back