Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #41,731 of 46,526
Relying on a decade long memory is definitely flawed. Otherwise I agree with most of your observations.

The HD650, my one, has a tad more uppermid volume than the 58X. The 58X presents more space and air in the uppermids.

Acoustic instruments recorded in a studio sounds a bit better with the HD650 than the 58X. It reminds me of a sound treated studio environment, where there is no reverb in the sound.

Acoustic bass also sounds better on the HD650 than the HD58X. There is more space in the bass. Play a funk track with lots of slap bass, the HD58X can't keep up with the HD650.

The HD650 bass is definitely more airier and faster to me. The HD58X has a better attack to the bass, but after the attack, it's very thick and blurred with no air.

HD58X bass is way over rated. However the rest of the spectrum is compatible with a bit more recordings than the HD650.

As the sand falls through the glass of time and so this gap will widen in favour of the 58X.

But going through some recordings with the HD650 on tubes...them blues guitars are divine. There is nothing out there that can better this.
I find any string instruments to sound superior on the 58X with the air, separation, and holography. I personally love the plucked bass vibration sounds of the 58X. It's just superior for imaging. This is why I love trying out new music with it, because it outputs different characteristics of the various recordings due to it's superior imaging.

What I realized is low toned male vocals sounds slightly off with the HD6XX compare to the HD58X. HD58X's lower 3-4k response creates more even response for low toned male vocals. Female vocals and more high toned male vocals sounds more distance, and less forward, but doesn't sound off in anyway.

This is all in comparison to HD6XX, not the HD650 (as there might be slight or more difference between them).

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #41,732 of 46,526
I find any string instruments to sound superior on the 58X with the air, separation, and holography. I personally love the plucked bass vibration sounds of the 58X. It's just superior for imaging. This is why I love trying out new music with it, because it outputs different characteristics of the various recordings due to it's superior imaging.

What I realized is low toned male vocals sounds slightly off with the HD6XX compare to the HD58X. HD58X's lower 3-4k response creates more even response for low toned male vocals. Female vocals and more high toned male vocals sounds more distance, and less forward, but doesn't sound off in anyway.

This is all in comparison to HD6XX, not the HD650 (as there might be slight or more difference between them).

Have you compared the 58x to the 558 or 598 cs? If so what are your thoughts?

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #41,733 of 46,526
Have you compared the 58x to the 558 or 598 cs? If so what are your thoughts?
I have never heard any of those. I started off with the HD650 so I skipped those, but I'm a bit curious how they differ.

HD58X is numbered in the 5 series because it's a homage to the Jubilee, the newer HD580 that is essentially the HD600. HD58X is part of the HD6-- series family due to it's form factor.

So, they must have decided at some point to move up the number of the series with the Jubilee form factor by start calling it HD600.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #41,734 of 46,526
Yup, don't confuse HD58x with the other HD5xx series.

I too skipped the HD5xx series and my introduction to Sennheiser was also the HD650.

Sep 29, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #41,735 of 46,526
I have never heard any of those. I started off with the HD650 so I skipped those, but I'm a bit curious how they differ.

HD58X is numbered in the 5 series because it's a homage to the Jubilee, the newer HD580 that is essentially the HD600. HD58X is part of the HD6-- series family due to it's form factor.

So, they must have decided at some point to move up the number of the series with the Jubilee form factor by start calling it HD600.
Ok thanks for clearing that up! I was thinking of getting a hd600 a while back, but now am leaning towards the 58x after my good experience with thehdxx

Sep 30, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #41,737 of 46,526
Damn that youtube degradation is awful. At first thought something was wrong with my headphones. Had to double check. Relief, it's not my headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #41,739 of 46,526
Yeah, I'm listening to it 16/44, and it's much better. Youtube quality isn't that good.

16/44 is supreme, the rest is just insanity and makes my HDD space cry. Listening to SawanoHiroyuki[nZk] 2V-ALK album in 24/96 / FLAC 3200 kbps... makes me cry inside that this nonsense exists.

Converted 24/96 @ 1.4 gb to 16/44 FLAC 400 mb, sounds exactly the same. What the hell is the other 1 gb doing? Nuthin, absolutely nuthin. This nonsense along with cables makes me cry a little people believe this garbage.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #41,740 of 46,526
Agree with you on the slightly better treble of the HD6XX and to me the HD6XX its also a bit more extended down low compared to my HD650. These differences are quite subtle and I even tried switching pads around but the differences are still there so its not ear pads related. Only problem with this is I was going to mod my HD6XX but since they sound different from my HD650 I don't have a good control to judge against and will have to borrow a HD650 from a friend and have to mod my HD650 (which I don't want to do) so holding of any mods at this point.
I'm looking around everywhere to find a rationale for the statements in the past about Sennheiser 'veil' regarding the HD650 and my most recent experience with HD6XX (sounding different than I recall). The HD650 I had was from such a long time ago that there may have been a revision at some point to lift to treble a bit? How old is your HD650?

Anybody know anything about this? Like changes of the drivers over time?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #41,741 of 46,526
I know that about eight years ago there was some sort of update, though I don't really recall what it was. That was when I first got mine. Maybe they changed the baffle color or something or some mesh something or other? It allegedly made it sound less veiled, though Sennheiser denied that it changed anything other than the color.

I will say that after exclusively using my DT 1990 for about five months, the HD 650 did sound distinctly veiled and downright weird when I came back to it, despite that it had never seemed that way before. If I recall, it took listening to more than one album before I liked it again. Now I can switch between them as much as I want and they don't sound veiled or weird to me. I think it's mostly a matter of expectation and being used to the sound. The DT 1990 are very in your face with treble, detail and dynamics, where the HD 650 are much more subtle. I think it's this sort of difference of subtlety that people are hearing and perceive it as a veil or lack of detail. If my entire impression of the 650 was based on that experience, then I really think I would not like them.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #41,742 of 46,526
I know that about eight years ago there was some sort of update, though I don't really recall what it was. That was when I first got mine. Maybe they changed the baffle color or something or some mesh something or other? It allegedly made it sound less veiled, though Sennheiser denied that it changed anything other than the color.

I will say that after exclusively using my DT 1990 for about five months, the HD 650 did sound distinctly veiled and downright weird when I came back to it, despite that it had never seemed that way before. If I recall, it took listening to more than one album before I liked it again. Now I can switch between them as much as I want and they don't sound veiled or weird to me. I think it's mostly a matter of expectation and being used to the sound. The DT 1990 are very in your face with treble, detail and dynamics, where the HD 650 are much more subtle. I think it's this sort of difference of subtlety that people are hearing and perceive it as a veil or lack of detail. If my entire impression of the 650 was based on that experience, then I really think I would not like them.
I can certainly understand this because that was the same situation for me when I ordered 3 most popular high-end (at the time as a newbie they were high-end in my perspective) headphones (in those days), DT880 600 ohm, AKG K701, and HD650.

HD650 of course a bit of a contrast from the other two due to it's treble, and when I read the forums I've read posts referrring to the HD650 as 'veiled' and we ended up with this emoji :floatsmile::deadhorse:

I recall I spent about a week constantly listening to the HD650 until I got used to them (there was a point when it sounded good). Initially it sounded rolled-off due to spending some time with DT880 for a bit, and K701 sounded bright and bass-lite. I ended up with the HD650 perhaps due to after getting used to HD650, DT880 sounding bright. LOL.

It's funny how our ears responds.

Anyway, I'm listening to Van Halen right now, and since HD6XX more forward, it's great for Van Halen, and due to the HD6XX's forward response, HD58X will sound laid back in comparison (once switched). This situation is pretty similar.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #41,744 of 46,526
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #41,745 of 46,526
I just realized these are good rock headphones. It's the forwardness and the impact (the drums), works great for rock. Music like Van Halen, Guns and Roses, etc.. Those types

I'm listening to this, and it sounds very musical with those types of rock music. This album is great. This is a great band. How did I never heard of them? Their music is so real.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back