Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #41,746 of 46,514
I realized all these music that sounds good out of the HD6XX are classic rock. Boston is another band that HD6XX works well with.

It's funny how a headphone can steer you toward music it sounds best with.

I've been exploring a lot of music with HD58X until I started listening to HD6XX with rock (Van Halen). HD58X sound more separated and airy, and less forward (People will notice it's a bit laid-back in comparison). It works well for classical or audiophile recordings with technicalities, but HD6XX seems a bit different with it's forwardness.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #41,747 of 46,514
I realized all these music that sounds good out of the HD6XX are classic rock. Boston is another band that HD6XX works well with.

It's funny how a headphone can steer you toward music it sounds best with.

I've been exploring a lot of music with HD58X until I started listening to HD6XX with rock (Van Halen). HD58X sound more separated and airy, and less forward (People will notice it's a bit laid-back in comparison). It works well for classical or audiophile recordings with technicalities, but HD6XX seems a bit different with it's forwardness.
I've found the HD6XX/650 and HD58X a bit too boring for rock / classic rock for me, it takes my Grado (RS2e or SR225e), Ypsilon S1 or R1, HE560, T1gen1 or similar to bring the dynamic / energetic sound that rock and classic rock needs to get my head bobbin or toes tapping.

Oct 2, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #41,749 of 46,514
I've found the HD6XX/650 and HD58X a bit too boring for rock / classic rock for me, it takes my Grado (RS2e or SR225e), Ypsilon S1 or R1, HE560, T1gen1 or similar to bring the dynamic / energetic sound that rock and classic rock needs to get my head bobbin or toes tapping.
Arn't Grados a bit bright? I like rock with a bit if of a forward sound (which I'm realizing with HD6XX), but don't know about treble piercing my ears. I find the HD6XX musical with rock due to the way it's treble energy doesn't get piercing, but forward, impactful, and and warmer (than 58X) at the same time. It could use a bit more shimmer with treble, but it's better than what I'd expect with the roll-off up top. It just works as a whole in a musical sense. Nothing boring about how 6XX presents classic rock for me, it sounds energietic with the forwardness and the cohesive upper mids and bass, with the impacts.

And the 560 can get a bit bright for me. What I get from a lot of your postings is you like bright.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #41,750 of 46,514
just pulled the trigger for the 6XX. Also awaiting the ER4S to arrive. Current IEM = MassDrop Plus

any good DAC/AMP or DAPs that pairs well with these ^ ?
I'd be interested to know your impressions of the HD 6XX vs the MD+. I know they're completely different animals, but I'm thinking my next purchase will be an IEM and I'd like it to be as close to endgame as possible (without breaking the bank). Primarily I'd like to know about differences in sound signature and technical ability.

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #41,751 of 46,514
I'd be interested to know your impressions of the HD 6XX vs the MD+. I know they're completely different animals, but I'm thinking my next purchase will be an IEM and I'd like it to be as close to endgame as possible (without breaking the bank). Primarily I'd like to know about differences in sound signature and technical ability.

wow, tell you what; pm me this in case i forget. it should a while for the 6XX to reach me..

but right off the bat, the MDP is fairly neutral w a tad extra on the low end. however, i do think it needs a good source (i don't have one atm..) =/

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #41,752 of 46,514
wow, tell you what; pm me this in case i forget. it should a while for the 6XX to reach me..

but right off the bat, the MDP is fairly neutral w a tad extra on the low end. however, i do think it needs a good source (i don't have one atm..) =/
Cool. Will do... If I remember myself.

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #41,753 of 46,514
Are OEM Sennheiser 650 pads best? Are more inexpensive replacement pads as good?

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #41,754 of 46,514
Arn't Grados a bit bright? I like rock with a bit if of a forward sound (which I'm realizing with HD6XX), but don't know about treble piercing my ears. I find the HD6XX musical with rock due to the way it's treble energy doesn't get piercing, but forward, impactful, and and warmer (than 58X) at the same time. It could use a bit more shimmer with treble, but it's better than what I'd expect with the roll-off up top. It just works as a whole in a musical sense. Nothing boring about how 6XX presents classic rock for me, it sounds energietic with the forwardness and the cohesive upper mids and bass, with the impacts.

And the 560 can get a bit bright for me. What I get from a lot of your postings is you like bright.
Bright is one thing but as long as its smooth and clean its fine. I'm a little sensitive to the 3.5-5khz range as I've found that the HD600 would irritate me at times so even if a headphone is bright like a HD700 it will depend on where the brightness is and how its presented. Its one reason that while I really like the HD58X the slight grain in the treble will bother me at times (not as bad as the HD600 since its treble peak is different) and a really bright headphone like my RS2e will not bother me at all since it has very little grain and is so smooth in the highs. Its also a lot faster sounding than the HD650 or even the HD58X and since my RS2e is slightly modded with dynamat + G-pads its perceived bass is even better than both the HD650 and HD58X.

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #41,755 of 46,514
Are OEM Sennheiser 650 pads best? Are more inexpensive replacement pads as good?
I doubt the low cost "made somewhere in Asia" ear pads are as good as the Sennheiser OEM pads.
The outer material would be of a cheaper quality and the internal "stuffing" not be as good
But I'm sure for some they are good enough.
I have not problem buying those low cost ear pads, for my lower costing headphones.
I would say to get the low cost ear pads, if you do not like them, then buy the factory ones.

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #41,756 of 46,514
I doubt the low cost "made somewhere in Asia" ear pads are as good as the Sennheiser OEM pads.
The outer material would be of a cheaper quality and the internal "stuffing" not be as good
But I'm sure for some they are good enough.
I have not problem buying those low cost ear pads, for my lower costing headphones.
I would say to get the low cost ear pads, if you do not like them, then buy the factory ones.
Pads makes bit of a difference in FR, so you don't want short change on pads. You want to be sure the pads do what you want or not detrimental to desired response.

Oct 2, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #41,757 of 46,514
Bright is one thing but as long as its smooth and clean its fine. I'm a little sensitive to the 3.5-5khz range as I've found that the HD600 would irritate me at times so even if a headphone is bright like a HD700 it will depend on where the brightness is and how its presented. Its one reason that while I really like the HD58X the slight grain in the treble will bother me at times (not as bad as the HD600 since its treble peak is different) and a really bright headphone like my RS2e will not bother me at all since it has very little grain and is so smooth in the highs. Its also a lot faster sounding than the HD650 or even the HD58X and since my RS2e is slightly modded with dynamat + G-pads its perceived bass is even better than both the HD650 and HD58X.
Yeah, I know. You told me that before.

I cannot know the relative degree you are sensitive there, but our headphone tastes and reaction tells about how we differ in preference.

I usually complain if too much 6-8k. I mainly complain about dips or suck-outs in that range you are sensitive with.

I don't think my ears find Harman curve entirely preferable. It may have bit much in the 2-4k than I desire.

How do you find LCD2 in those ranges?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #41,758 of 46,514
Yeah, I know. You told me that before.

I cannot know the relative degree you are sensitive there, but our headphone tastes and reaction tells about how we differ in preference.

I usually complain if too much 6-8k. I mainly complain about dips or suck-outs in that range you are sensitive with.

I don't think my ears find Harman curve entirely preferable. It may have bit much in the 2-4k than I desire.

How do you find LCD2 in those ranges?
My LCD-2f is fine for me but a few friends don't like it since its quite a bit different from an LCD-2.2 (just before the fazor) and different from the Jan 2016 revised fazor. The LCD-2.2 is closer to the HD650 in tuning while the LCD-2f (2016 or newer) is closer to the HD58X. I don't use mine much since I much prefer my EL-8 open (another one of those that the QC was all over the place), mine is tuned is a bit like the HD650 in the mids but the bass goes quite a bit lower with more impact and the highs are a bit more extended and don't roll off like the HD650 but I've heard a few other EL-8 opens that are not even close to mine (one that was purchased around the same time as mine: a bit harsh in the highs but much better bass, and a newer 2016 version that has great bass and mids but the highs are a bit rolled off).

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #41,759 of 46,514
My LCD-2f is fine for me but a few friends don't like it since its quite a bit different from an LCD-2.2 (just before the fazor) and different from the Jan 2016 revised fazor. The LCD-2.2 is closer to the HD650 in tuning while the LCD-2f (2016 or newer) is closer to the HD58X. I don't use mine much since I much prefer my EL-8 open (another one of those that the QC was all over the place), mine is tuned is a bit like the HD650 in the mids but the bass goes quite a bit lower with more impact and the highs are a bit more extended and don't roll off like the HD650 but I've heard a few other EL-8 opens that are not even close to mine (one that was purchased around the same time as mine: a bit harsh in the highs but much better bass, and a newer 2016 version that has great bass and mids but the highs are a bit rolled off).
I found LCD2 highs to sound sparklier due to the lift in the upper treble, but upper mids sucked out, so in this sense dark. This is why I asked what you thought of 3-5k from it since you are sensitive in that area.

Based on what I hear of the HD6XX, I can't say LCD2 is similar to it at in terms of treble. HD6XX has the upper mids prominence that LCD2 lacks, but not the shimmer of LCD2.

If your HD650 is like LCD2 (2.2), your HD650 is probably darker sound than the HD6XX.

Do you find your HD650 easier listen in the 3-5k than your HD6XX?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #41,760 of 46,514
I found LCD2 highs to sound sparklier due to the lift in the upper treble, but upper mids sucked out, so in this sense dark. This is why I asked what you thought of 3-5k from it since you are sensitive in that area.

Based on what I hear of the HD6XX, I can't say LCD2 is similar to it at in terms of treble. HD6XX has the upper mids prominence that LCD2 lacks, but not the shimmer of LCD2.

If your HD650 is like LCD2 (2.2), your HD650 is probably darker sound than the HD6XX.

Do you find your HD650 easier listen in the 3-5k than your HD6XX?
My LCD-2f is a bit brighter than my HD6XX and HD650, its one of the original fazor models from 2014 and its peak is more around 5-6khz since it doesn't bother me like the HD600 that I had. This is another reason that I didn't send my LCD-2f to get the updated 2016 drivers since I much prefer mine as is even if it lacks the bass of the revised drivers but if either side ever dies on my then they will be replace with the newer 2016 version.

My HD650 is just a touch easier to listen to than my HD6XX since its a touch more rolled off in the treble but its very subtle and if you don't listen to both side by side you'll never notice the difference and one could consider it "manufacturing tolerance" but since Sennheiser has pretty good QC I think there are very slight differences, almost like the HD6XX is made with drivers that were rejected from the HD650 due to being slightly out of spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back