Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
May 25, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #2,701 of 3,545
For the record I tend to trust HeadRoom's descriptions despite their being vendors, especially since I found them to be spot-on about the SRH1840. However I also trust some of the folks around here who report that these aren't the "compromise between the HD650 and HD800" Sennheiser and HeadRoom make it out to be. So what to do?

Go and get a pair for myself. Just too curious given the conflicting reports from [what I consider to be] reliable sources. Mine will arrive later today, and I should have some thoughts up by this weekend.

The relation to the HD650 and HD800 will be a big focus of what I post. I know a lot of people are curious as to how these fit into the overall Sennheiser lineup, especially with the HD800 looming directly above it, so hopefully I can add my voice to the mix.

May 25, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #2,702 of 3,545
I loved the HD650 (regret moving it on) and am enjoying the HD800 at the moment as my main headphone. I'm hoping you don't post favourable impressions Muppet - I don't want to withdraw $1k from my upgrade fund (amp/dac for HD800) to scratch the HD700 itch.

May 25, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #2,703 of 3,545
Just to give you an idea of where I'm coming from, I actually prefer the HD650 to the stock HD800 at the moment, if only because I'm really not fond of what some folks have lovingly referred to as "weaponized face-tweeters." I know we all vary in sensitivity from person to person, and I'd go so far as to say we even vary in sensitivity ourselves from one day to the next. The HD800 driven from the ZDSE was one of my favorite synergistic combos just a few months ago. While I can still appreciate its technical merit, it's just too much for me right now.

Enter the HD700. Like some folks here, I was hoping for a less "ruthless" sound, something that borrowed enough from the HD650 to have been tamed somewhat. While the HD800 is no doubt the more impressive "hi-fi" model, the HD650 still has a tonal balance that I find more pleasing and, well, more "right." According to many of the listening impressions from those who got a chance to hear these, they're still far and away more similar to the HD800 in the way they're voiced. Soundstage, airiness... that's all great. But the presence of treble peaks that---in some sense--- were even more severe than the HD800s was a deal killer. It didn't matter how great everything else about these had been pulled off. Not to me, anyway.

Then when Sennheiser held the release date back a few months, a spark of hopefulness was kindled inside of me, and I thought to myself "could they be retuning these based on the negative feedback? Getting rid of those treble peaks? Making them more like the bridge between two models they claimed they would be?"

So here we are now. A few more impressions from those who have heard these seemed to suggest that no, Sennheiser hadn't changed much if anything from the prototype. The sound was still peaky. Even worse, it seemed to have a hollow or sucked-out midrange! The few impressions that are most positive simply stated in various terms that they liked the HD700 for the money but didn't offer much in the way of a comparison to either the HD800 or HD650. Then you see the description on HeadRoom's page, and they seem to be whispering all those pretty words I want to hear: warmer, more musical, taking cues from the HD650.

Frankly I don't need another hi-fi dynamic headphone. I've got the HD800, so if the HD700 turns out to be an "HD800-lite" then it's going back to the store.

May 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #2,705 of 3,545
Strike that.  Amazon only has 8 now.  Bought a pair last night.  I will be comparing them to my HD 650's, HD 800's, LCD-3's and Hifiman 500's on my LF and Headroom Maxed Home with the 2006 Module.  That should be comprehensive :)   Let you know what I think :)  Otto

May 25, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #2,706 of 3,545
Strike that.  Amazon only has 8 now.  Bought a pair last night.  I will be comparing them to my HD 650's, HD 800's, LCD-3's and Hifiman 500's on my LF and Headroom Maxed Home with the 2006 Module.  That should be comprehensive :)   Let you know what I think :)  Otto

Can you post your impressions on a new thread and link it here? Just don't want it to be lost in this giant thread.

May 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #2,708 of 3,545
Quote:
That's a good idea. I will do it as a new thread where other reviews can be compiled as well.  Slogging through 180 page threads is miserable.

Just remember to inform us! waiting.......

May 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #2,709 of 3,545
That's a good idea. I will do it as a new thread where other reviews can be compiled as well.  Slogging through 180 page threads is miserable.

Just don't forget to add pics. What's a review without pictures?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #2,710 of 3,545
On one hand I'm very tempted to go out and get a pair (Music Direct has them, so could have a pair in hand in 30 minutes) but on the other hand I'm enjoying my LCD-2 Rev 2 so much that I'm not sure I want to change anything.  It's a strange feeling.  

May 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #2,711 of 3,545
I can't figure out why US members don't just buy it from Amazon and test it out themselves?????? You have a 30 day no question asked return; I have returned a ton of headphones, amps, etc without question. Free UPS pickups as well. Free auditions FTW.....

May 25, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #2,714 of 3,545
I can't figure out why US members don't just buy it from Amazon and test it out themselves?????? You have a 30 day no question asked return; I have returned a ton of headphones, amps, etc without question. Free UPS pickups as well. Free auditions FTW.....

I don't want to use the system that way. I only return ones that are defective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back