Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
May 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #2,716 of 3,545
Quote:
It's torture knowing they're at the UPS facility in my town and I won't get them until Tuesday.

Having both the HD 600 and HD 800 is hardly torture. 
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2,717 of 3,545
Quote:
I don't want to use the system that way. I only return ones that are defective.

If you're buying it just to play with it, fully intending to return it at the end of the day, then sure I'd say that's "using the system" in a negative sense. But I see no problem in buying from Amazon to audition a product, and then returning it if it doesn't WOW you completely. Audiophilia is an expensive endeavor, and no one should ever feel ashamed to return a $1000 pair of headphones if they don't absolutely adore them.

Really, it's just another means of auditioning said product. HeadRoom and SoundEarphones offer no-questions-asked return policies just like Amazon, so I would recommend any of the three to head-fiers who are unable to go to meets.

I'm honestly more concerned about people who get review samples from companies, because then it becomes a question of how beholden said people are. Someone who purchases an HD700 from Amazon to review it will ironically have the least potential for bias because a) he/she isn't beholden to anyone and b.) he/she can easily return it, so isn't locked into the mentality of compensating for potential buyer's remorse.

May 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2,719 of 3,545
Quote:
If you're buying it just to play with it, fully intending to return it at the end of the day, then sure I'd say that's "using the system" in a negative sense. But I see no problem in buying from Amazon to audition a product, and then returning it if it doesn't WOW you completely. Audiophilia is an expensive endeavor, and no one should ever feel ashamed to return a $1000 pair of headphones if they don't absolutely adore them.

Really, it's just another means of auditioning said product. HeadRoom and SoundEarphones offer no-questions-asked return policies just like Amazon, so I would recommend any of the three to head-fiers who are unable to go to meets.

I'm honestly more concerned about people who get review samples from companies, because then it becomes a question of how beholden said people are. Someone who purchases an HD700 from Amazon to review it will ironically have the least potential for bias because a) he/she isn't beholden to anyone and b.) he/she can easily return it, so isn't locked into the mentality of compensating for potential buyer's remorse.

X2

May 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #2,720 of 3,545
What do these companies with liberal return policies do with products that come back? Do they sell them off as used, or palm them off as new to unsuspecting suckers who've paid full price? A lot of posts on this forum make it seem like common practice to take advantage of these policies. It makes me wary of buying head-fi gear from these companies as a result.

May 25, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #2,721 of 3,545
I personally don't feel too good about buying something if I know I'll be returning it.  Haven't done it despite the temptation.  Just feels like taking advantage even if they offer it.  But then again, large online retailers specifically Amazon have driven local stores, including audio shops -where you could audition products first- out of business, on purpose.  So I can also see the argument that if they're going to do that, then they have to put up with people auditioning gear via buy and return.  Maybe that's what they get for trying to monopolize every market and undercut every small retailer.  They benefited from these retailers that let people audition gear who then purchased on Amazon for the lower price. 

May 25, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #2,722 of 3,545
Quote:
What do these companies with liberal return policies do with products that come back? Do they sell them off as used, or palm them off as new to unsuspecting suckers who've paid full price? A lot of posts on this forum make it seem like common practice to take advantage of these policies. It makes me wary of buying head-fi gear from these companies as a result.

Amazon Warehouse.

May 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #2,723 of 3,545
Okay, here's the skinny from my perspective. There's nothing HD650 about these cans. They're more like brighter HD600s with a little more resolution and a larger soundstage. They have the same annoying bite at 6kHz as the HD800s, but you don't get the benefit of the HD800s superior sub-bass. Think HD800 voicing but with much lower resolution and a steep bass roll off at 30Hz. They are comfy, however, and they're super light. So I guess they do have that going for them.

They aren't garbage, they sound decent for $600-700 `phones. For $1000? No way. There are much, much better alternatives to be had; HE-500s, LCD-2s, ESP-950s, SRH1840s... actually, I can also think of several under $500 I'd take over these.

Just save your nickels and get some HD800s, or take a step back and get HD600s and HE-500s for the same price. That would be a great listening combo.

May 26, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #2,725 of 3,545
Sampled a little from here and there:

Arcadi Volodos - Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3
Helmet - Meantime
Queensryche - Promised Land
Alison Krauss - Paper Airplane
Paul Simon - Graceland
Dvorak - Symphony No. 7
Helmut Walcha - Toccata and Fugue in D minor
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

Also some random Eagles, Billy Joel, and Animals as Leaders.

May 26, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #2,726 of 3,545
Okay, here's the skinny from my perspective. There's nothing HD650 about these cans. They're more like brighter HD600s with a little more resolution and a larger soundstage. They have the same annoying bite at 6kHz as the HD800s, but you don't get the benefit of the HD800s superior sub-bass. Think HD800 voicing but with much lower resolution and a steep bass roll off at 30Hz. They are comfy, however, and they're super light. So I guess they do have that going for them.
They aren't garbage, they sound decent for $600-700 `phones. For $1000? No way. There are much, much better alternatives to be had; HE-500s, LCD-2s, ESP-950s, SRH1840s... actually, I can also think of several under $500 I'd take over these.
Just save your nickels and get some HD800s, or take a step back and get HD600s and HE-500s for the same price. That would be a great listening combo.

Thanks for the honest comments. I think you just saved me $1000.00.

May 26, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #2,727 of 3,545
Quote:

I really wanted to hear good things about the HD700.

I have the Grado sr325is (my favourites, they rock), K701 (dry and bright), and D2000 (flabby and dull) and want to upgrade with a full sized open headphone. A neutral one but not excesive neutral, with a bit of fun.

I had bought the LCD-2 but I found them too dark, flat line neutral to 1KHz and above that without mid-highs nor highs, and with congested soundstage. I sold them. Technically better, very natural timbre and without listening fatigue, but I was enjoying more the 325 with the most of my music. Moreover, they were heavy and unconfortable.

I had discarded the ortos (they all similar to LCD-2). I had discarded too the HD800 and T1 (too analitical and neutral). I had narrowed my options to Grado PS500 and HD700, thinking that the last one would be between the overly analitical and neutral HD800 (or T1) and the overly dark HD650 or LCD-2.

The good thing is that here in Europe we can find the HD800 for 700€ (875$) so I think that the HD700 will cost about 600€ (750$). The problem is that the Grados are expensive. The PS500 price is 600$ in USA and 600€ in Europe.

So, in USA there is a difference of 400$ between them but in Europe they cost the same!!! 600€ (750$).

Because that, I really wanted to hear good news about the "cheap" HD700. But now I'm leaning towards the, in comparision, "overly priced" PS500.

May 26, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #2,729 of 3,545
Quote:

Pretty sure HeadRoom labels them as b-stock and sells them at discounted prices. Not sure about Amazon, but I've gotten several things from them that I'm pretty sure had been used before and offered as new.

May 26, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #2,730 of 3,545

Users who are viewing this thread

Back