Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #3,076 of 9,298
Well, to be fair, they mentioned in the reply that Valhalla 2 doesn't play well with planar magnetic headphones, so it would be best for me to go with Lyr 2, not only looking at the HD700

Gotcha. That completely makes sense.

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #3,078 of 9,298
  Are you opposed to using a simple notch filter at 6.5k (Q=6-8) and/or 14k?  It gives an idea of what the 700s sound like with the Val2.  Simple fix, but I know some people are really opposed to EQ.

Never really used any EQ before, I guess I'll try it out and see how it sounds. Is using the EQ within WMP ok?  Or is the EQ section of the Xonar STX better?

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #3,079 of 9,298
I use the free APO Equalizer, with the "Peace" graphical interface.  Each is a separate install.  Pretty simple to set up--just have to be sure to enable your devices in the config menu after installation.  The notch filter setting (looks like a purple V as opposed to the default peakfilter) does wonders with the 700s.  I recommend just doing one band at a time with a very narrow Q (the higher the number the more narrow the range of fq affected) and play with it to see what you like.  I found that this helps with the tizziness of the highs more than playing with the sliders.

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #3,080 of 9,298
  I use the free APO Equalizer, with the "Peace" graphical interface.  Each is a separate install.  Pretty simple to set up--just have to be sure to enable your devices in the config menu after installation.  The notch filter setting (looks like a purple V as opposed to the default peakfilter) does wonders with the 700s.  I recommend just doing one band at a time with a very narrow Q (the higher the number the more narrow the range of fq affected) and play with it to see what you like.  I found that this helps with the tizziness of the highs more than playing with the sliders.

Quick questions before I download, do I have to worry about any adware? is it only available in 32bit?  I've had some problems with 32bit software on some of my computers.

Where are you located in Hawaii?  I live on Oahu, Makiki area.

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #3,081 of 9,298
I have the usual adware blockers in place, but I had no problems.  I downloaded from the sourceforge page.  Not sure about 32bit; I have Windows 8.1 and it works just fine.  

I'm in the Nuuanu area on Oahu.  Cool to see some Hawaii interest in head-fi. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #3,082 of 9,298
  I have the usual adware blockers in place, but I had no problems.  I downloaded from the sourceforge page.  Not sure about 32bit; I have Windows 8.1 and it works just fine.  

I'm in the Nuuanu area on Oahu.  Cool to see some Hawaii interest in head-fi. 

I'll with my xonar STX EQ first to see if using an EQ is something I want to try.  I normally turn off all EQ to get the cleanest signal.  I've downloaded the software and will try on a computer that I just rebuilt (friend gave me dell i5, HD died) so I don't mess any of my working rigs.

Thanks for the info on the EQ software.

PS: look into the Hawaii meets, maybe there are more out there (just noticed that you already went there)

The HD-700 EQ experiment is going to have to wait, just got my Grado RS2e, loving the sound just out of the box, much smoother than the SR-255e.

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #3,083 of 9,298
Got a HD700 from that rainforest place for £350 ($540) so couldn't resist. Got them yesterday and listened for a few hours with all sorts of music. I love the detail retrieval of them, makes me want to hear the HD800, but I'm definitely having an issue with the treble peaks and sibilance so far, which is kind of surprising since I like Grados. Going to continue trialing them and hope they burn in/I get used to it. Very surprised how easy to drive they are aswell, they get too loud to listen to at only a little bit passed 9 o'clock on my DV336SE.

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #3,084 of 9,298
  Got a HD700 from that rainforest place for £350 ($540) so couldn't resist. Got them yesterday and listened for a few hours with all sorts of music. I love the detail retrieval of them, makes me want to hear the HD800, but I'm definitely having an issue with the treble peaks and sibilance so far, which is kind of surprising since I like Grados. Going to continue trialing them and hope they burn in/I get used to it. Very surprised how easy to drive they are aswell, they get too loud to listen to at only a little bit passed 9 o'clock on my DV336SE.

I though I got a good deal at $575.  Using my lyr2 or Teac AH-01 seems to smooth out the high peaks.

Seems like a lot of the Sennhieser phones are going on sale lately, just got a HD-650 for $290 yesterday and heard that the HD-600 was at $250.

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,085 of 9,298
Since I'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to hifi I find it hard to describe sounds. Being a novice didn't stop me from buying a couple of headphones, right now I have a Grado GS1000 and an HD700. The HD700 is for me by far the most comfortable headphone and I love the soundstage. Compared to my Grado though I find the sound less alive. Almost as though there is a thin paper wall between me and the instruments.

As I said, I find it hard to describe sounds :) Anyhow, I wish I could combine the HD700 and the GS1000 - I think that would be perfect for me :D

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #3,086 of 9,298
Since I'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to hifi I find it hard to describe sounds. Being a novice didn't stop me from buying a couple of headphones, right now I have a Grado GS1000 and an HD700. The HD700 is for me by far the most comfortable headphone and I love the soundstage. Compared to my Grado though I find the sound less alive. Almost as though there is a thin paper wall between me and the instruments.

As I said, I find it hard to describe sounds :) Anyhow, I wish I could combine the HD700 and the GS1000 - I think that would be perfect for me :D

You might want to try the Beyerdynamic T1.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #3,087 of 9,298
Mar 10, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #3,088 of 9,298
Any thoughts on a the HD700 compared to the Q701?

I currently have the Q701 and am looking for a more laid-back headphone to upgrade to sometime next year, and am considering a pair of Sennheisers.

Many people seem to be complaining about harsh treble on the HD700, but that's a common complaint filed against almost all of the AKG cans, and I don't have a problem with my Q's. I just want a good set of cans w/ a laid back sound, but still plenty of detail retreival. 

Also considering ATH W5000s because they're so damn beautiful, and having a closed set might be nice If I ever feel the need to wear some headphones out in public.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #3,089 of 9,298
  Any thoughts on a the HD700 compared to the Q701?

I currently have the Q701 and am looking for a more laid-back headphone to upgrade to sometime next year, and am considering a pair of Sennheisers.

Many people seem to be complaining about harsh treble on the HD700, but that's a common complaint filed against almost all of the AKG cans, and I don't have a problem with my Q's. I just want a good set of cans w/ a laid back sound, but still plenty of detail retreival. 

Also considering ATH W5000s because they're so damn beautiful, and having a closed set might be nice If I ever feel the need to wear some headphones out in public.

Hi CCXR594, I tried a Q701 from a friend and really liked the wide open sound stage but couldn't handle the highs, way to harsh for me.  Also, the head band bumps really didn't agree with my head.  I have my HD-700 running of a Bifrost/Lyr2 combo and the highs aren't that bad but like Veekeren posted above I would love a cross between a HD-700 and my RS2e.
As for laid back, I would as my X1 or LCD-2f are laid back.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #3,090 of 9,298
Hi CCXR594, I tried a Q701 from a friend and really liked the wide open sound stage but couldn't handle the highs, way to harsh for me.  Also, the head band bumps really didn't agree with my head.  I have my HD-700 running of a Bifrost/Lyr2 combo and the highs aren't that bad but like Veekeren posted above I would love a cross between a HD-700 and my RS2e.
As for laid back, I would as my X1 or LCD-2f are laid back.

Thanks for the swift reply. I've seen some comparisons with the X1 and Q701, and they said it was less detailed, so I probably won't go with that, but I'll have to check out the LCD-2f? Never heard of that variant of the LCD line before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back