Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #3,091 of 9,320
Thanks for the swift reply. I've seen some comparisons with the X1 and Q701, and they said it was less detailed, so I probably won't go with that, but I'll have to check out the LCD-2f? Never heard of that variant of the LCD line before.

its the newest one with the fazor grill installed

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #3,093 of 9,320
I think some of the disliked treble that the 700s are accused of producing might come from a generation of subwoofer lovers- to a greater or lesser degree.  I also think that some headphone amps might be throwing distortion into the mix which the HD 700s handle with terrible accuracy and add their own nasty noise to the pot in those situations. 
I am currently using a SinglePower amp.  Yes from it's  much  appropriately disgraced   proprietor, but it sounds very good to my ears.  If I choose a couple of output tubes from my collection which are marginal, the 700s will let you know pretty quickly mostly  in the mid band up through the treble.  There is no monster bass to cover for it (not intended) it's only the  bass that is in the music.  I have found that very few people mention clipping and distortion from the amp/source side, and many pin bad sound only on the transducers.
I am an old fart who had a 2 more than decent speaker systems, neither of which used a sub.  Some in my audio club toyed with the idea but I can't remember anyone really wanting it or needing it.  When I hear demos of modern stuff at regular hi fi outlets they often use subs and with car audio-OMG and What if that is what you want out of a headphones or earphones you are correct these headphones are just not right for you and you better get an amp that clips constantly even with giant electrolytic capacitors.
My rant for the day. sorry

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #3,094 of 9,320
I think some of the disliked treble that the 700s are accused of producing might come from a generation of subwoofer lovers- to a greater or lesser degree.  I also think that some headphone amps might be throwing distortion into the mix which the HD 700s handle with terrible accuracy and add their own nasty noise to the pot in those situations. 
I am currently using a SinglePower amp.  Yes from it's  much  appropriately disgraced   proprietor, but it sounds very good to my ears.  If I choose a couple of output tubes from my collection which are marginal, the 700s will let you know pretty quickly mostly  in the mid band up through the treble.  There is no monster bass to cover for it (not intended) it's only the  bass that is in the music.  I have found that very few people mention clipping and distortion from the amp/source side, and many pin bad sound only on the transducers.
I am an old fart who had a 2 more than decent speaker systems, neither of which used a sub.  Some in my audio club toyed with the idea but I can't remember anyone really wanting it or needing it.  When I hear demos of modern stuff at regular hi fi outlets they often use subs and with car audio-OMG and What if that is what you want out of a headphones or earphones you are correct these headphones are just not right for you and you better get an amp that clips constantly even with giant electrolytic capacitors.

I dont think the bass has anything to do with it, or the amps for that matter. Its been discussed to death already. Way too many people on way too many set ups have recognized the HD 700 to have peaky treble to believe its anything but. I think its way more likely that it just doesnt bother you, hence why you may not hear it. I still very much enjoy my HD 700's because I can overlook that problem, but I still recognize it is there.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #3,095 of 9,320
I dont think the bass has anything to do with it, or the amps for that matter. Its been discussed to death already. Way too many people on way too many set ups have recognized the HD 700 to have peaky treble to believe its anything but. I think its way more likely that it just doesnt bother you, hence why you may not hear it. I still very much enjoy my HD 700's because I can overlook that problem, but I still recognize it is there.

I think you're right.  It's possible too that people's listening levels vary more than we might expect.  On "lower" (for me <80db) listening levels I don't find the 700s peaky at all.  Once I crank up the volume a bit I really start to notice it.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #3,096 of 9,320

^ This.

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #3,097 of 9,320
Hi Hi-Fi lovers :)
I am from Croatia (10000 Zagreb).
I'm looking for Sennheiser HD700 in almost new condition with original box and accessories.
They must be from Europe (due to customs and taxes)

My proper budget is in total (including postage) maximum € 350.00.

I know it's a modest sum for such good headphones but we all know that is the crisis.

I pay via PayPal.

Could you please give me your offers (pictures desirable) via e-mail:
grinccaffe@gmail.com

Greetings to all !!!
Damir

Hi Damir,
I paid 381€ in January 2015 for a HD700 in that condition. That was Ebay Germany. Maybe you also try that route. But 350 including shipping to Kroatia. I don't know.

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #3,098 of 9,320

It's definitely there, but for most genres I listen to, I kinda like it. It grew on me over time. Right now, I'm only subtracting 2 dB off the treble, and it's perfect for me.

Subwoofers have their place for most: whether it's overwhelming or not is another story. Generalising entire generations will do you no good here, considering that most of us here aren't typical consumer listeners. IMO, the HD600 has even less bass, or even Grado's, and you don't see people complaining about it that often or visibly. Remember that what works for you might not work for others.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #3,099 of 9,320

It's definitely there, but for most genres I listen to, I kinda like it. It grew on me over time. Right now, I'm only subtracting 2 dB off the treble, and it's perfect for me.

Subwoofers have their place for most: whether it's overwhelming or not is another story. Generalising entire generations will do you no good here, considering that most of us here aren't typical consumer listeners. IMO, the HD600 has even less bass, or even Grado's, and you don't see people complaining about it that often or visibly. Remember that what works for you might not work for others.

My girlfriend uses the HD-700 with a Teac AH-01 which really tames the highs, she can listen for 4-5 hours at a time.  I like the HD-700 from the Lyr2, a little more sparkle but she can't stand it, says the highs are too harsh.  Another thing is the music that we listen to differs slightly, she listens to mostly mellow easy listening and K-pop while I listen to more jazz, classic rock, current pop, classical, new age, rock, k-pop, and alternative.  For easy listening stuff the HD-700 is great since its on the bright side it makes the sound more dynamic to me.  My RS2e is not as bright as the HD-700 while the SR-225e are about the same IMO.  The SR-225e seems best right of the headphone jack of the computer/Xonar DG sound card while the RS2e sounds better of the Lyr2 (low gain) or Fiio X3.

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #3,100 of 9,320

Yeah I like them for the most part. I dont think you can find this combination of quality bass, soundstage, detail, and clarity anywhere else at its current price point. You can certainly find headphones that beat the HD 700's in any two of those categories, but not more than two of them. I listen to a lot of rock with the HD 700's. The peaked treble is enough to give the electric guitars some life and forwardness but the genre doesnt typically go as high as classical or electronic so it doesnt bother me as much. Funk is my favorite genre for these.

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #3,101 of 9,320
Hi Damir,
I paid 381€ in January 2015 for a HD700 in that condition. That was Ebay Germany. Maybe you also try that route. But 350 including shipping to Kroatia. I don't know.

Thanks for your reply,
eBay Germany, last four weeks, I follow regularly, there is a poor offer for Sennheiser HD700.
I found a couple of times a good offer, under my budget, but the seller does not send in Croatia :frowning2:
I continue to look for Senn. HD700.
Offers Welcome :)
Damir

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #3,102 of 9,320
Hope this isn't a breach of etiquette (I'll delete if so).

Though I liked my HD700, ultimately I don't use it much between my Stax and my AKG. Put it up for bidding on eBay below what I paid for it, bidding is above that now but still a good price @$406 last time I checked, still has most of it's 2-year warranty:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321693541641

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #3,103 of 9,320
Got a new laptop. The idea of being a bit more mobile if I ever go to a meet was great, so I decided to try the Modi 2 Uber and Vali with the HD700 on it. I was absolutely blown away by the sound. It was so much better, and so noticeable that I have to assume something is wrong with my computer, maybe a driver conflict, the way its configured, or something. With USB or Optical it never sounded even close compared to when I went to a Head-Fi meet and tried it on a better setup.

Though now that has all changed, I am in love with the HD700 even more now. It's still sibilant, but after EQ'ing it the same as on my PC, the sibilance is gone, and it sounds so much better. On the laptop, it's like the sibilance is removed without any loss in detail. I'm not very knowledgeable with proper EQ techniques, but I'll have to try and replicate the laptop setup on my PC to get that sound. 

Aside from meets I've always used the HD700 on this computer, and I figured the Modi 2U would just bypass all the computer shenanigans but I guess not. On my computer I replaced the Realtek drivers/GUI stuff with EqualizerAPO and the Peace GUI. I wonder if that borked something up.

Immediately I was wowed by how good it sounded, but wasn't sure if my brain was playing tricks on me. It wasn't until I played Ekki Muk by Sigur Ros that it finally hit me, something was genuinely different. At the very start of the song before it actually begins, you can hear a sound in the background, not sure how to describe it. On my PC I have to have the volume really loud and be concentrating like a boss to hear that. On the laptop, clear as day, just like when I listened to the song at a meet.

Any clues as to why this is happening? What part of the spectrum is that beginning to Ekki Muk with those odd sounds in the background, if I can't hear that on my PC, what am I missing?

Thanks for reading my blabbering mess!

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #3,105 of 9,320
So I´m about to pull the trigger on a pair of hd700s. They´ll be my first open backs, and my first 500+ headphones. (Previous milestone was shure 535 which I got for about 400 eur). It was between Hifiman he-500 and the Senn 700s, but then everyone ran out of 500s and I don´t like how the new Hifiman headphones look. Since I´m taking a ship abroad to shop straight from a Hi-Fi shop, I´ll get a chance to audition a pair of Hifiman 560i-s next to the Senns, but I still believe I´ll take the Senns. I just want a good looking and comfy all rounder as an entrance to the penultimate stage. I plan on moving on to planar magnetics later, you know, to enjoy the journey. I don´t want to rush to the summit and the Senns look like the perfect in between point. I could wear them all day, they don´t fatigue a lot. And other phones like the Audeze X and Grado ps1000 I plan on, will still sound fantastic coming off them :D I think I kind of like the idea of them being a tad bit unimpressive, but still a new enough experience with great soundstage (which I´ve never heard) and great resolution (which I like from the Shure IEMs)

Anyway, do you have any last minute advice for me? Considering I´m a total beginner with high end and circumaurals. (I plan on running them from straight a Fiio X3 and in a week my Cayin C5 portable amp will arrive.)

And is there a nice case out there that will fit the Senn 7000s, for travel? Sennheiser themselves don´t make one I see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back