Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #3,106 of 9,320
  So I´m about to pull the trigger on a pair of hd700s. They´ll be my first open backs, and my first 500+ headphones. (Previous milestone was shure 535 which I got for about 400 eur). It was between Hifiman he-500 and the Senn 700s, but then everyone ran out of 500s and I don´t like how the new Hifiman headphones look. Since I´m taking a ship abroad to shop straight from a Hi-Fi shop, I´ll get a chance to audition a pair of Hifiman 560i-s next to the Senns, but I still believe I´ll take the Senns. I just want a good looking and comfy all rounder as an entrance to the penultimate stage. I plan on moving on to planar magnetics later, you know, to enjoy the journey. I don´t want to rush to the summit and the Senns look like the perfect in between point. I could wear them all day, they don´t fatigue a lot. And other phones like the Audeze X and Grado ps1000 I plan on, will still sound fantastic coming off them :D I think I kind of like the idea of them being a tad bit unimpressive, but still a new enough experience with great soundstage (which I´ve never heard) and great resolution (which I like from the Shure IEMs)

Anyway, do you have any last minute advice for me? Considering I´m a total beginner with high end and circumaurals. (I plan on running them from straight a Fiio X3 and in a week my Cayin C5 portable amp will arrive.)

And is there a nice case out there that will fit the Senn 7000s, for travel? Sennheiser themselves don´t make one I see.

Hi Marat Sar, I have HD-700, LCD-2f, HE-400/400i/560, and RS2e; I tried running these off my Fiio X3 & X1 and with the exception of the RS2e they all sound lacking.  Going to my home system with bifrost/Ly2/Asgard2, or Teac AH-01 or modi/magni all sound much better.  I don't have any experience with using an extra portable amp so can't tell you if the Cayin C5 will help but for portable use I'd much rather use a phone that doesn't require additional amplification above what the X1 or X3 puts out.  I normally use either an V-Moda XS, Senn Momentum or MDR-1a for travel since they require no additional amp to sound great of either the X3 or X1.
The HD-700 tends to sound best with a warmer amp like my Lyr2 or Teac AH-01 (girlfriend loves this amp with the 700) and the stock cable is way too long for portable use.  I do agree that the HD-700 is very comfortable and can be worn for hours at a time.  I have a Project Ember on order (should be here in a few days) as many say its a great flexible amp that can drive many different phones.

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #3,107 of 9,320
  Hi Marat Sar, I have HD-700, LCD-2f, HE-400/400i/560, and RS2e; I tried running these off my Fiio X3 & X1 and with the exception of the RS2e they all sound lacking. 

I have specifically heard (from many, albeit online sources) that the senn700 even sounds ok out of an iPod. One reviewer had the x3 and said it was sufficient. I´m not looking for perfection, plus I have this thing with non-portable amps - I live in different places and don´t want to own more than I can pack. Maybe that means I have to get a Pico Power later or some other more expensive portable amp. 

Also, it´s just massively disheartening to hear you need a Schiit Lyr for, like, everything. Just saying. That´s what kind got me off planar magnetics for the time being.

Of course, in a few hours I´ll get to hear them with an x3 and then a sennheiser solid state amp. My ears will be wiser then and I might agree with you.  (But I don´t want to :) )

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #3,108 of 9,320

I have specifically heard (from many, albeit online sources) that the senn700 even sounds ok out of an iPod. One reviewer had the x3 and said it was sufficient. I´m not looking for perfection, plus I have this thing with non-portable amps - I live in different places and don´t want to own more than I can pack. Maybe that means I have to get a Pico Power later or some other more expensive portable amp. 

Also, it´s just massively disheartening to hear you need a Schiit Lyr for, like, everything. Just saying. That´s what kind got me off planar magnetics for the time being.

Of course, in a few hours I´ll get to hear them with an x3 and then a sennheiser solid state amp. My ears will be wiser then and I might agree with you.  (But I don´t want to :) )

Well, look, it works off a phone. But it's ever-so slightly better with an amp, and why not? Some people will inevitably be more picky when it comes to these things: for me and some others, a simple O2 does the job, because all I need is to compensate for our source's lack of definition when the loudness is maxed out. For others, to tame the treble, a tube amp might do the trick. You can never really be sure until you try.

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #3,109 of 9,320

Well, look, it works off a phone. But it's ever-so slightly better with an amp, and why not? Some people will inevitably be more picky when it comes to these things: for me and some others, a simple O2 does the job, because all I need is to compensate for our source's lack of definition when the loudness is maxed out. For others, to tame the treble, a tube amp might do the trick. You can never really be sure until you try.

+1

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #3,110 of 9,320
The HD700 runs nice direct from my Ipod Classic 120Gb. But it runs better when amped from a Fiio E12A. Other amps will do the same. But what you really need is a shorts cable. I got me a 1.2m one. That makes it much more transportable.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #3,111 of 9,320
So I´m about to pull the trigger on a pair of hd700s. They´ll be my first open backs, and my first 500+ headphones. (Previous milestone was shure 535 which I got for about 400 eur). It was between Hifiman he-500 and the Senn 700s, but then everyone ran out of 500s and I don´t like how the new Hifiman headphones look. Since I´m taking a ship abroad to shop straight from a Hi-Fi shop, I´ll get a chance to audition a pair of Hifiman 560i-s next to the Senns, but I still believe I´ll take the Senns. I just want a good looking and comfy all rounder as an entrance to the penultimate stage. I plan on moving on to planar magnetics later, you know, to enjoy the journey. I don´t want to rush to the summit and the Senns look like the perfect in between point. I could wear them all day, they don´t fatigue a lot. And other phones like the Audeze X and Grado ps1000 I plan on, will still sound fantastic coming off them :D I think I kind of like the idea of them being a tad bit unimpressive, but still a new enough experience with great soundstage (which I´ve never heard) and great resolution (which I like from the Shure IEMs)

Anyway, do you have any last minute advice for me? Considering I´m a total beginner with high end and circumaurals. (I plan on running them from straight a Fiio X3 and in a week my Cayin C5 portable amp will arrive.)

And is there a nice case out there that will fit the Senn 7000s, for travel? Sennheiser themselves don´t make one I see.

Just keep in mind, the HD700 doesn't need much amp power BUT does come with a cable terminated in the larger 6.3mm plug, an adapter with a short wire is better than something that makes one massive chunk at the headphone jack.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #3,112 of 9,320
Just keep in mind, the HD700 doesn't need much amp power BUT does come with a cable terminated in the larger 6.3mm plug, an adapter with a short wire is better than something that makes one massive chunk at the headphone jack.

+1, Of all the headphones I have the HD-700 has the longest (12ft) and most uncooperative cable, still kinks every once in awhile if I move around.

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #3,114 of 9,320

I was able to drive the 700s comfortably (enough volume, that is) from my iPhone 5.  The sound quality was acceptable, especially if you're looking for a mobile setup.  However, I have found that the various incarnations of the iPod have different, and noticeable output levels.

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #3,118 of 9,320
Had these for a couple of weeks now and judgement time is nigh (I can only afford to have one expensive pair at a time). They were an upgrade to my HD650'S and the headphones are definitely nicer looking. Soundstage is much improved as is detail retrieval but I think I prefer the warmer bass of the HD650'S. After using these exclusively for two weeks I'll make the switch back to HD650 tonight and see if my memory has served me correctly or whether they will seem too veiled after the ultra revealing 700's. Looking forward to it, there can be only one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back