Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #3,061 of 9,320
Hi

I am contemplating whether to get Burson Soloist SL, not the full version, or Asgard 2 for HD 700.

Will it be justified to fork out the extra money to get Burson over Asgard for HD 700?

I don't like how my Asgard 2 and HD 700 sound together at all. It's a good amp and good can, but that combination just doesn't work as I'm finding some distortion and clipping introduced with it.

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #3,063 of 9,320
The V2 (and V1) work really well with the HD 700. Better than even the Lyr, IMO. Schiit themselves have even recommended it over some of their more expensive offerings for the HD 700.

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #3,065 of 9,320
  At the moment, the soundcard+HD700 produce a way too laid back and muffled sound experience for my liking. 

I know HD700 can do better. I used to have the ZxR card and HD 700 work well with that. But the card's driver crashed way too often so I returned it and got the Asus STXii instead.

When I use the bass equalizer on STX, the bass sounds really muddy.I am satisfied with how it deals with classical stuff. But it's terrible with vocal etc.

I am happy to at least get the ZxR experience back. So there's definitely room of improvement. 

If you'd be happy with the ZXR you might want to check the X7 as well.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #3,066 of 9,320
Is there a list of amps that Schitt has recommended for various headphones?

I emailed them to ask if the Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2 would be better for me (primarily using the HD700, along with other dynamics, but with future planar magnetics to consider), and they suggested the Lyr 2.

Don't think they have a formal list of recommendations, just what's in their product descriptions, but you could write to them and ask. I think they're one of the few companies who don't recommend purely based on $ value.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #3,067 of 9,320
I emailed them to ask if the Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2 would be better for me (primarily using the HD700, along with other dynamics, but with future planar magnetics to consider), and they suggested the Lyr 2.

Don't think they have a formal list of recommendations, just what's in their product descriptions, but you could write to them and ask. I think they're one of the few companies who don't recommend purely based on $ value.

I have the Lyr 2 (stock tubes) and its definitely better than my Asgard 2 with the HD-700.  Also tired using modi/magni and this was really bad.  My Teac AH-01 is also a good match for the HD-700 since its on the warmer side and the HD-700 is on the bright side IMO.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #3,068 of 9,320

I have the Lyr 2 (stock tubes) and its definitely better than my Asgard 2 with the HD-700.  Also tired using modi/magni and this was really bad.  My Teac AH-01 is also a good match for the HD-700 since its on the warmer side and the HD-700 is on the bright side IMO.

How long does Lyr 2 stock tubes last? Is it expensive to replace them?

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #3,069 of 9,320
  How long does Lyr 2 stock tubes last? Is it expensive to replace them?

Lyr tubes are good for 5000 hours typically. You can buy replacements from Schiit for $20.00

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #3,070 of 9,320

I would like to see that recommendation somewhere. They've been recommending Valhalla over Lyr for years on this forum for the HD 700, although both sound good.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #3,071 of 9,320

Haven't tried the Lyr 2, but I did have the Valhalla 2 for a while. Valhalla 2 was extremely dynamic, tons of focused energy and impact. Basically deep and snappy. I didn't like how bright it was with the HD700 though. If you're not sensitive to treble, and listen to a lot of electronic music you'd absolutely go bananas for it.

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #3,072 of 9,320

Haven't tried the Lyr 2, but I did have the Valhalla 2 for a while. Valhalla 2 was extremely dynamic, tons of focused energy and impact. Basically deep and snappy. I didn't like how bright it was with the HD700 though. If you're not sensitive to treble, and listen to a lot of electronic music you'd absolutely go bananas for it.

I think I might give the Valhalla 2 a try, the Lyr 2 for some of my headphones is not a good match and I have to switch to the Asgard 2.  Was wondering if anyone has tried a WA7 or WA7d with the HD-700?

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #3,073 of 9,320

Can I ask what you didn't like about the magni/modi pairing?  If it was too aggressive in the treble, I found the Valhalla 2 to be equally energetic--if a touch warmer in the mids.   

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #3,074 of 9,320
  Can I ask what you didn't like about the magni/modi pairing?  If it was too aggressive in the treble, I found the Valhalla 2 to be equally energetic--if a touch warmer in the mids.   

Same as you, way to bright in the highs, couldn't listen for more than 30 min.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #3,075 of 9,320
I would like to see that recommendation somewhere. They've been recommending Valhalla over Lyr for years on this forum for the HD 700, although both sound good.

Well, to be fair, they mentioned in the reply that Valhalla 2 doesn't play well with planar magnetic headphones, so it would be best for me to go with Lyr 2, not only looking at the HD700

Users who are viewing this thread

Back