Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #3,048 of 9,320

HD 800 with Vali/Modi as they actually have pretty good synergy together.

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #3,049 of 9,320
I've sold everything (as I only listen to podcasts when walking around), only got Sound Blaster X7 and Clip as source!
Right now they just don't feel as fun as the Fidelio X2, but I've been told that going for the OPA827 will make things better.

The X2 is probably the more "fun" can as it's WAY more colored in the lows. It and the X1 are truly open basshead cans.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #3,050 of 9,320

How about HD 650 and HD 700 and Vali and Modi

$330 and $600 on Amazon  
ph34r.gif

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #3,051 of 9,320
As much as I hate to say it, but after a week of using these, I'm starting to love it for the reasons people hated it. That aggressive treble may be fatiguing to some, but I have to say that it's much more 'fun' to have such a FR tuning, while still preserving its excellent soundstage and clarity. They are, by no means, flat at all, nor are they overly treble: it's more a U shape than anything else.

Considering I'm using just an O2 amp to act as a glorified volume control for my phone, I don't consider the amp colouring the sound that greatly. Hell, the only thing I notice when I ABX no amp and O2 is the noise floor and crappy noise coming from my phone when it's not amped.

Overall, solid product. Only thing that's ticking me off are the hinges: like every plastic headphone I've owned, they never seem to be perfect, and when you press on the hinge, there's a 'click'. It's only noticeable when you take it on or off, but it's still nitpicking if I'm allowed to.

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #3,053 of 9,320
They are under review because multiple people are saying the headphones they are receiving have been opened and used. The pair I just bought have been opened and used :frowning2: I'm in contact with the place I bought it from to see if I can get them exchanged for a new pair.

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #3,054 of 9,320
I don't see a lot of really good audio details in the review. Unfortunately the only serious audio comparison he gives is the Yulong DA8's headphone out, which is pretty well known to be pretty marginal. 

Based on the power specs looks like you'll only get 280mW @ the HD700's 150ohms, which isn't a whole lot of 'juice'. 

Genuinely curious and liking to be helpful, could you characterize what makes up really good audio details?

At least the review gave you what you asked for: the power specs. I have an X7 too, got it about a month after my HD700 and like it fine alongside my Schiit Bifrost and DIY tube amp, the X7 seems to have plenty of power (not weak impact) while having plenty of gain headroom (~23% already seems quite loud for me with X7 and HD700). It's been a week or so since I read Earfonia's review, but I think he tried fairly to describe the sound and resolution, such as it is difficult to describe DACs and amps IMO.

I can't really really review headphones for others right now, but I'd still like to know what to put in an amp/DAC review to describe "really good audio details."

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #3,059 of 9,320
I'm not sure it would make the difference you're hoping for.  I only heard incremental differences in the 700s as I upgraded amps (magni-->Val2-->V200).  And the differences weren't necessarily good or bad.  I am happy with all of them.

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #3,060 of 9,320
  I'm not sure it would make the difference you're hoping for.  I only heard incremental differences in the 700s as I upgraded amps (magni-->Val2-->V200).  And the differences weren't necessarily good or bad.  I am happy with all of them.

At the moment, the soundcard+HD700 produce a way too laid back and muffled sound experience for my liking. 

I know HD700 can do better. I used to have the ZxR card and HD 700 work well with that. But the card's driver crashed way too often so I returned it and got the Asus STXii instead.

When I use the bass equalizer on STX, the bass sounds really muddy.I am satisfied with how it deals with classical stuff. But it's terrible with vocal etc.

I am happy to at least get the ZxR experience back. So there's definitely room of improvement. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back