Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 26, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #14,791 of 23,499
Thanks for the feedback earl grey.

The fact that you do find yourself wanting that extra little bit of volume on some tracks makes me think that the Peachtree SHIFT might indeed be the better option for me; the SHIFT has a bit more power than the HA-2.

I do prefer the design and the features of the HA-2 though.... The SHIFT doesn't have a bass boost, and there's no volume knob (the volume is controlled only using the smart-phone buttons or slider).

Forgot to mention that I use the bass boost much of the time I am listening.  It is not a typical bass boost, "loudness control", sort of thing.  Much much better.  It gives the bass a slight boost without ruining the mids and above.  I worry that when I go to a desktop I will need to find a way to equalize.  Not looking forward to that.  I love my bass.

May 26, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #14,792 of 23,499
Pahini said:  "Part of the HA-2 experience as well, is just actually holding it in your hand.....it is so well built, it's a first-class piece of equipment from top to bottom. It feels solid, it looks elegant, the leather covering caresses :) It's expensive, and it feels expensive."

Agree 100%.  It is a remarkable piece of electronics that brings me some joy just in holding it!

May 26, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #14,793 of 23,499

Forgot to mention that I use the bass boost much of the time I am listening.  It is not a typical bass boost, "loudness control", sort of thing.  Much much better.  It gives the bass a slight boost without ruining the mids and above.  I worry that when I go to a desktop I will need to find a way to equalize.  Not looking forward to that.  I love my bass.

The TH-X00 mentioned before is definitely a great choice for bass. My main two headphones I run between now are the HD600 and the TH-X00.

May 27, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #14,794 of 23,499
The TH-X00 mentioned before is definitely a great choice for bass. My main two headphones I run between now are the HD600 and the TH-X00.

These two are a great pairing IMO. they complement each other extremely well. One filling the gap the other does not.

May 27, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #14,795 of 23,499
These two are a great pairing IMO. they complement each other extremely well. One filling the gap the other does not.

Exactly. I intended to initially buy the TH-X00 to try and see what it was like, then sell it later here in the forums, but after a couple days, I couldn't sell it. Like you said, they fill the gaps between each performance very well.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #14,796 of 23,499
I LOVE this headphone. But the cable is awful, on multiple occasions it almost snapped my headphones because it just gets everywhere. Now my headphone inputs are damaged and click and pop a lot and I'll have to get a new pair and a smaller cable to avoid this from happening again. :/ my other headphones x2, hp150 have a far more reliable cable mechanism...

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #14,797 of 23,499
I LOVE this headphone. But the cable is awful, on multiple occasions it almost snapped my headphones because it just gets everywhere. Now my headphone inputs are damaged and click and pop a lot and I'll have to get a new pair and a smaller cable to avoid this from happening again. :/ my other headphones x2, hp150 have a far more reliable cable mechanism...

Never had a problem. Must be down to your specific use.

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #14,798 of 23,499

Bummer. A shorter cable (3' or 4') should be enough to prevent it from occurring.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 1, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #14,799 of 23,499
I cut and reterminate all my headphone cables down to 4.5 feet and make extensions out of the remaining length if they're not custom. Find this solves all my cable issues on most headphones. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #14,800 of 23,499

You should either bundle up the extra length with a velcro tie (the uglier solution) or just buy a shorter cable. I bought a shorter cable for my HD600s immediately since I'm not quite so handy with making my own cables; it only cost me like $20 for a new cable and good quality.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #14,801 of 23,499
You should either bundle up the extra length with a velcro tie (the uglier solution) or just buy a shorter cable. I bought a shorter cable for my HD600s immediately since I'm not quite so handy with making my own cables; it only cost me like $20 for a new cable and good quality.

I shall I shall... but the issue is real and I think people should admit it. Not bashing, just anti-worship. They still are what they are - angel Gabriel of headphones, but the cable design man...

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #14,802 of 23,499
I shall I shall... but the issue is real and I think people should admit it. Not bashing, just anti-worship. They still are what they are - angel Gabriel of headphones, but the cable design man...

Lol, it just depends on the person and their particular usage scenario, which is why it's not highlighted as a big problem. For some people, the 3m stock cable is exactly what they need. For people like you and me, 3m is way too long. What I've always thought Sennheiser should do was offer it with both cables, essentially what Superlux does with the HD668B. I bought that set of headphones a long while back to give to a friend and it also has a removable cable. They were smart with the cabling system: standard 3.5mm connector and the headphones came packaged with both a 3m cable and a 1m cable. That's what Sennheiser needs to do: put cables in of both lengths. Luckily, a new shorter cable of equally nice quality is only about $20.

I personally use this one: http://amzn.to/1WZnnJ2. This exact cable is also available on eBay if you aren't in the US, but shipping times are longer because they ship from China. Nice cable though in my experience.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #14,803 of 23,499

Considering they are an open headphone, and most people will be using them in a static (rather than active) environment (eg desktop or listening area set-up), then the current cable - for me anyway) - is more than adequate.

What you should state is that you want a cable for portable use (I'm guessing that is what it is - otherwise how could you "snag it" or rip it out of the socket).  Therefore your generalisation that it should be a better constructed cable for all of us I personally find a bit misleading.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #14,804 of 23,499

Considering they are an open headphone, and most people will be using them in a static (rather than active) environment (eg desktop or listening area set-up), then the current cable - for me anyway) - is more than adequate.

What you should state is that you want a cable for portable use (I'm guessing that is what it is - otherwise how could you "snag it" or rip it out of the socket).  Therefore your generalisation that it should be a better constructed cable for all of us I personally find a bit misleading.

If you have the entire cable unraveled, I could see part of it under like a chair leg after it's rolled over the cable; then when you get up (probably like really hard, like jumping out of your chair hard), I could see the cable coming out of the headphone. It can take a pretty hard yank to get the connectors out though, at least on my set anyway.

Regarding the specificities of design though, I wouldn't say the cable is badly designed in any way, it's just that the stock one is too long for my usage/aesthetic tastes. The stock cable itself is fine in terms of its design, just a bit too long for my usage scenario.

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #14,805 of 23,499

As the other posters above noted getting a second cable is not costly and something I recommend to anyone who uses their headphones in different conditions where the stock long cable gets in the way.

I usually build a second short cable for all of my headphones with removable cables and even mod those like the DT-990 premium (mini-xlr dual entry), T1 (mini-xlr), TH-600 (SMC), K553 (SMC dual entry) and Grado (SMC) to have removable cables, one long cable (10ft) and one short (4-5ft).  Tried to keep only 2 types, mini-xlr and SMC so I don't have to have so many different connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back