Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #14,806 of 23,468
I LOVE this headphone. But the cable is awful, on multiple occasions it almost snapped my headphones because it just gets everywhere. Now my headphone inputs are damaged and click and pop a lot and I'll have to get a new pair and a smaller cable to avoid this from happening again. :/ my other headphones x2, hp150 have a far more reliable cable mechanism...

You could also braid the cable and save some coin.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #14,809 of 23,468
It's not about the cable length, but design. It's thin heavy and too foldable. It's so easy to get it around the chair or step on it as it just gets everywhere, and the connector design is just poor so if you stand up or even move in a chair it can strain the headphones easily.

Fidelio cable is way better.

But mmmkay

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #14,810 of 23,468
It's not about the cable length, but design. It's thin heavy and too foldable. It's so easy to get it around the chair or step on it as it just gets everywhere, and the connector design is just poor so if you stand up or even move in a chair it can strain the headphones easily.

But mmmkay

Funny - I've had an HD600 on and off for the best part of 5-6 years now - never had a problem with the cable, and only ever snagged it once (but not enough to pull it out of the socket).  I guess YMMV with this.

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #14,811 of 23,468
Funny - I've had an HD600 on and off for the best part of 5-6 years now - never had a problem with the cable, and only ever snagged it once (but not enough to pull it out of the socket).  I guess YMMV with this.

I've never had a problem either. I've always liked the cable.
I believe the 650 cable is heavier and can be used with the 600.
Anyone put off buying the 600 because of this would be seriously missing out IMHO.

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #14,812 of 23,468
I have yanked, stepped on, rolled over, closed in drawers and many other abusive things to my cables.

Never considered it to be a flaw in the cable.

Mostly operator error...

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #14,813 of 23,468

But mmmkay

Wow, if you think the HD-600 stock cable is heavy you should try one of the new Grado's with the 8 conductor cables, that is heavy, so much so that if you move around the weight of the cable will move the headphone on your head.

The worst for foldable goes to the HD-700, couldn't get it to straighten out no matter what I did (hang with weight for a month, heat gun, wrapped around a 50gal barrel).

Design of HD-6XX connectors are actually quite good and the after market cardas ones that I use have good strain relief, better than the original cable.

My Fidelio stock cable for the X1 was not a good cable, a little stiff and too much resistance in them.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #14,814 of 23,468
The first thing I did after getting HD600 was to upgrade the stock cable to HD650 cable (thicker, better connectors, it gives you a bit better bass, not much) , then I braided the stock cable for occasional portable use. 
Now it looks ugly but it's only 4' long. No change in SQ that I can hear comparing to non braided,  at least not with a cheap portable headphone amp.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #14,815 of 23,468
  @mowgli-kun, that braid is really cool
beerchug.gif

Thanks man! 
beerchug.gif

But mmmkay

I kinda agree; the cable and connectors are one part of the headphones definitely starting to show their age.

But like most people in this thread (and yourself, it seems), I'm willing to deal with this shortcoming for all the things (treble, mids, timbre and comfort) that it does so well. You can't really have it all in this hobby, but I'm just happy to get so much at this price point! 
smile.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #14,816 of 23,468

Thanks man! 
beerchug.gif

I kinda agree; the cable and connectors are one part of the headphones definitely starting to show their age.

But like most people in this thread (and yourself, it seems), I'm willing to deal with this shortcoming for all the things (treble, mids, timbre and comfort) that it does so well. You can't really have it all in this hobby, but I'm just happy to get so much at this price point! 
smile.gif

Definitely worth it - did you notice I'm buying another pair? :p

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #14,819 of 23,468
  Is there a shorter cable replacement for HD 600 for $20? without changing sound signature.

I tried some Chinese cable (said "silver audiophile") within $20-40 budget....but the sound not good. The Original Sennheiser cable do better.
Cardas do better but the cost more than $100...

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #14,820 of 23,468
  Is there a shorter cable replacement for HD 600 for $20? without changing sound signature.

Look on ebay or amazon, there are lots of them.  I don't know if I would go that cheap since just the parts alone for decent stuff would run about $20 to start with ($6 for TRS plug, $10 for pair of cardas connectors, $4 Mogami cable 4ft length).

I've tried some from china with my HD-700 and they were decent with no change in the sound signature but a little microphonic at times.

Usually don't have changes in sound with just a cable change unless the existing or new is of really bad quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back