Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4,549 of 7,535
I've found that the sound of my headphones burns in and settles as soon as I've paid them off on my credit card! 
o2smile.gif

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #4,552 of 7,535
Got them this week. Sounded good but unspectacular using my MacBook Air's headphone out. Hooked up to my Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver (fed over HDMI by HTPC running XBMC/Kodi) they sounded incredible, exactly how I wanted them to.

What's a DAC/headphone amp combo that'll do me well to get the sound I want out of the MacBook? The more affordable (Fiio E10K, Schiit Fulla, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.0, etc) the better, but I'm willing to listen to any reasonable recommendation. Even better if I can get it from Rakuten/a Rakuten seller since I have some points to use there.

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #4,553 of 7,535
Feb 15, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #4,554 of 7,535
I just upgraded from the Bose TriPort headphones to the HD 598 a few weeks back. An absolutely phenomenal difference in pretty much everything. I am literally listening to everything again. 

The thing I most immediately noticed was the immense sound stage compared to the Bose. I had never actually listened to an open back headphone but it turned out to be just as good as I expected from the reviews. I no longer need to use the artificial dolby headphone processing to boost the sound stage. I never liked the echo effect that comes with DH especially with music but the sound stage of the Bose was so bad that I nevertheless used DH almost all the time. Fortunately I now have lively natural sound. 

The second biggest difference is instrument separation. Its so freaking good on the HD 598 its unreal and even at high volume. The Bose was pretty mediocre at that.

Now the Bose did have reasonably good highs and mids in my opinion but once again the HD 598 goes so far ahead that the Bose seems mediocre in comparison. The Bose had good clarity but the Sennheiser is on another level. The Bose could get harsh with some particular tracks but the Sennheiser doesn't know such a thing as harsh. And yet its bright whenever it needs to be it really is quite amazing how balanced the treble is.

One area the Bose does trounce the 598 is bass and its not a contest. I was expecting this since its supposed to be an inherent limitation of open back design and on its own the 598 bass is OK.

Surprisingly the 598 wins in the comfort department, I didn't know headphones could get more comfortable than the Bose but here we are. The Sennheiser is significantly bigger which does take a little getting used to but the overall fit is superior. I can literally wear them all day.

I find the design of the 598 to be awesome. My only gripe is the build quality which just feels fragile. I understand they used plastic to reduce weight but the headband slider should never be plastic as fiddling with the slider is not a very intuitive experience. The Bose wins in build quality in my opinion. 

This has been the most expensive purchase I have ever made regarding audio and its been totally worth it. 

Edit: I have an ASUS Xonar DG as my source. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #4,556 of 7,535

What's a DAC/headphone amp combo that'll do me well to get the sound I want out of the MacBook? The more affordable (Fiio E10K, Schiit Fulla, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.0, etc) the better, but I'm willing to listen to any reasonable recommendation. Even better if I can get it from Rakuten/a Rakuten seller since I have some points to use there.

Thanks!

What's your budget?

since you mentioned the audioquest, you can get a schiit magni/modi (v1) combo for a little over 140 from Schiit's website under their b-stock/closeout section

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #4,557 of 7,535
  What's your budget?

since you mentioned the audioquest, you can get a schiit magni/modi (v1) combo for a little over 140 from Schiit's website under their b-stock/closeout section

I'd prefer to go $100 and under if possible, but I'm willing to hear more expensive recommendations depending on how big the improvement is for the money (and how close it gets to what I heard via my receiver). If I can get something I know will last me a long time and be a good investment...then, well, you never know.

Re: The AudioQuest Dragonfly, I was referring to the older 1.0 model, which I've seen for $99. If I was going up to $150 I'd go for the older version of the Meridian Explorer (un-numbered, current one is the Explorer 2) before the newer Dragonfly (the 1.2). Older Magni/Modi combo would be about $160 according to Schiit's site unless there are coupons I'm unaware of and I'd rather not have to use two boxes if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Looking around a bit, I know nobody's has arrived yet, but the Topping NX2 sounds very interesting. Well regarded amp plus a Burr-Brown DAC for $60? Hmm. And there's now a US-based seller with one on eBay.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #4,558 of 7,535
Feb 15, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #4,559 of 7,535
 Can't someone just use the same 2 headphones one old and one new to know for sure whether burn in is real or not?

'cause no one wants to own 2 headphones of the same model at a time?
What about people who review products for a living? What about the fact that people can return products? I mean so much debate over an issue that can be so easily solved sounds ridiculous to me.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #4,560 of 7,535

Can't someone just use the same 2 headphones one old and one new to know for sure whether burn in is real or not?

'cause no one wants to own 2 headphones of the same model at a time?

What about people who review products for a living? What about the fact that people can return products? I mean so much debate over an issue that can be so easily solved sounds ridiculous to me.

Replace "headphones" with "insertreligiousfigurehere" and that's pretty much it lol. That and those of us who don't believe in it, are too busy with our music to care haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back