Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #4,561 of 7,535
  Can't someone just use the same 2 headphones one old and one new to know for sure whether burn in is real or not?

I wasn't going to post this for fear of fondling the hornet's nest, so to speak, but I got a pair of these over black friday for myself and a pair for my partner for Christmas.  I had 80-100 hours on mine when I got to listen to my partner's (15~ minute burn in, couldn't exactly unbox them myself :p) and they sounded VERY.... identical.

Just my ears.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #4,562 of 7,535
 Can't someone just use the same 2 headphones one old and one new to know for sure whether burn in is real or not?

I wasn't going to post this for fear of fondling the hornet's nest, so to speak, but I got a pair of these over black friday for myself and a pair for my partner for Christmas.  I had 80-100 hours on mine when I got to listen to my partner's (15~ minute burn in, couldn't exactly unbox them myself :p) and they sounded VERY.... identical.

Just my ears.
But did you compare both simultaneously?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #4,566 of 7,535

Just my ears.

I wouldn't expect any less from Sennheiser :) 

In addition to the classy sound of these beauties, there is a lot going on for me psychologically. I am like "damn, these are so smooth" and I think to myself, "of course they are they smooth, they're Sennheisers" and go on imagining perfect rainbow waves of audio heaven emitting from the famous 'S' logo. 

I really love these headphones, and they have a special place in the HD lineup regarding the price, relatively low impedance, awesome sound stage and comfort. Still, would love to hear the HD800 one day.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #4,567 of 7,535

Unfortunately, I am only blessed with two ears.  I had them side by side, if that's what you mean.

Is there another way of having ears? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #4,568 of 7,535
Give the Schiit combo a try, That combo is a killer for its price.

The two box isn't even that big, and they can be stacked on top of each other.

Quote:

I'd prefer to go $100 and under if possible, but I'm willing to hear more expensive recommendations depending on how big the improvement is for the money (and how close it gets to what I heard via my receiver). If I can get something I know will last me a long time and be a good investment...then, well, you never know.

Re: The AudioQuest Dragonfly, I was referring to the older 1.0 model, which I've seen for $99. If I was going up to $150 I'd go for the older version of the Meridian Explorer (un-numbered, current one is the Explorer 2) before the newer Dragonfly (the 1.2). Older Magni/Modi combo would be about $160 according to Schiit's site unless there are coupons I'm unaware of and I'd rather not have to use two boxes if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Looking around a bit, I know nobody's has arrived yet, but the Topping NX2 sounds very interesting. Well regarded amp plus a Burr-Brown DAC for $60? Hmm. And there's now a US-based seller with one on eBay.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #4,569 of 7,535

Give the Schiit combo a try, That combo is a killer for its price.

The two box isn't even that big, and they can be stacked on top of each other.

It's more the need for an AC adapter (I'd prefer USB powered if possible) and the unwieldiness of the two boxes than the size itself. Well, and the price (IF I can do it, I'd rather get something $100 or less, possibly from a vendor with a Rakuten store so I can use my points). Yes, I know the Magni/Modi combo is "probably won't ever need anything better" quality, but when I bought the HD598 I also wasn't expecting to spend 

All that said, spending more time with the HD598 on the receiver sort of tuned my ears to their strengths more (something a few people elsewhere told me would happen), and I've noticed the differences between it and my HD428 a lot more when returning to using the MacBook (HD428 suddenly sounded a lot more closed off and veiled, HD598 sounded more clear and, well, open). Still, the AVR definitely still has a bigger, better, more full sound to it that I'd like to aspire to w/ a DAC/amp of some kind. :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #4,570 of 7,535
Originally Posted by davidbix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's a DAC/headphone amp combo that'll do me well to get the sound I want out of the MacBook? The more affordable (Fiio E10K, Schiit Fulla, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.0, etc) the better, but I'm willing to listen to any reasonable recommendation. Even better if I can get it from Rakuten/a Rakuten seller since I have some points to use there.

I have been using the HD598 with the Audioquest DragonFly 1.0 for a little over a year, and I like that combination a lot.

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #4,572 of 7,535
  I have been using the HD598 with the Audioquest DragonFly 1.0 for a little over a year, and I like that combination a lot.

Nice. How big/noticeable would you say the improvement over your onboard audio was? Also, I saw one review that said it clips at max volume; is that an actual issue or not really since it never needs to be at max volume?

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #4,573 of 7,535
  Just got my HD598 and was wondering from those of you who have them or have listened to them how much better the HD800 is than the 598. What are the differences? Thanks!

HD598 would be driving your typical nice car like a Nissan Altima or whatever in that class. HD800 would be giving that car to some homeless guy and buying a BMW, Audi, Benz

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #4,574 of 7,535
 Just got my HD598 and was wondering from those of you who have them or have listened to them how much better the HD800 is than the 598. What are the differences? Thanks!

HD598 would be driving your typical nice car like a Nissan Altima or whatever in that class. HD800 would be giving that car to some homeless guy and buying a BMW, Audi, Benz
I haven't listened to the HD 800 but isn't the 598 like a Mercedes C class and the HD 800 is the S class? I mean the 598 is miles better than a typical nice headphone.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #4,575 of 7,535

They are substantially better. Are they 10 times better? Meh, I don't know it's hard to quantify. But it's along those lines. As far as differences, that I can tell the HD800 has more bass and extends quite a bit deeper and it also has more treble boost, mids are similar but obv sharper and clearer on the 800. The absolute biggest difference is soundstage and imaging, as open as the 598 sound the 800 make them sound closed in comparison, also huge difference in detail retrieval, I've never thought of the 598 as detail monsters which is fine, but the 800 really are. 598 are more laid back and smooth as silk and dont need nor get much better with high end equipment. I think the hd600 is a good middle ground and would be a better buy than both, price factored in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back