Search goes on: Bass heavy BA-type iems - heard a lot, still not confident
Mar 17, 2011 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

sofastreamer

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

still searching the right soundsignature for my tastes and hope you have some more recomandations.

What i have heard so far:

super.fi 5 eb: little to much bass, but maybe could be my choice, if could get used to the comfort. Need phones, i can sleep with.

Whole westone bunch (um2, um3x, w3, w4); dont like that westone sound. to much midbass, while lacking deep bass.

SM3: too dark overall. to me they sound claustrophobic after a while. deep bass is good, but too much lacking the upper mids.

ie8: totally liked it, little too much midbass. missing details and precision. always missing BA-type sound

tf10: first i liked them, but after a while they were too cold for me. treble far too pronounced.

shure se530: my favourite till now. smooth and relaxed without beeing as boring as w4. but not really fun at all. lacking especially deep bass. so too my taste a crossover between sm3 bass and se530 mids and highs would be perfect.

stage 2: OK, but as being a dual driver, missing some details.

stage 4: too much highs

so i mostly listen to electronica and filmscores. source is my clip+

actually thinking about phonak pfe, but being a single driver i am afraid of losing to many details and that it would not expand enough to the frequency edges.

hope you know what i am searching for and will show me a perfect match. price is not an issue.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 60
The Ortofon e-Q7 have similarly smooth and forward mids as the SE530 and better bass texture.

The EX1000 are like an improved IE8, with more emphasis on low-bass than mid-bass and better detail, extremely smooth and refined.

Just click on the links in my sig for details (choose the SE530 link for an e-Q7 vs. SE530 comparison).

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 60
It might be a good idea just looking over customs and seeing what they have to offer, if price is not an issue. I have not heard any of the high-end customs but, from the many reviews and impressions they seem to offer comfort, and you might just find your ideal sound signature. Perhaps, you could re-shell a universal with a sound signature you like for comfort (when you sleep like you said).

Regarding your comments on single-drivers. I personally do not believe in the "more drivers, better sound" mantra some people have. I do appreciate cross-overs though.

Best of luck
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 60
already tested the custom line up from compact monitors. ue and jh still to go.

the sonys wont match the need of sleeping on the side. in another review that also compared ortofon and s530, they say it has narrower soundstage and nearly same basslevel.

any more suggestions?

did i say that i am not an eq guy?

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 60
How about new Radius W21?
The launch date is sometimes this week. No-one yet has heard them but they are similar to DDM W11 (2010 model).
link to the product here; http://www.radius.co.jp/Portals/0/twf21sp/

For BA I recommend E-Q7 or new e-Q5

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 60
No, you get about the same bass quantity at best.. Plus the green filters veil the mids.

I agree about driver count having nothing to do with quality. The single driver FI-BA-SS are the most detailed IEMs I've heard so far.

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 60
ok, so if i would go for customs or even reshells. what would be the one to look at? should i reshell a tf10 adding drivers or maybe reshell a se530 and add bassdrivers?

or might there be a custom already that would perfektly fit my needs?

again, thats what i am looking for:

very wide and deep soundstage (just like ie8)
very prominent deep bass (like tf10, but maybe a tad more pronounced)
no westone midbass hump
mids creamy as i know them from my se530
recessed highs also the way the s530 give me. 
allround somewhat warmish sound sig. but not as dark as sm3

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 60
I have a feeling your source equipment may be making it hard to find the sound you want. I have found no consumer iem that matches the triple-fi for the combination of bass presence, extension and timing. The real evidence of this is in the bass SLAM (hopefully you know what I mean), that is, pleny of phones go deep like the triple-fi, but cannot replicate the initial bass attack like the triple-fi can.

My portable rig is a humble itouch 4g running line out into a portable amp and my triple-fi. I'm getting all the bass, but no treble harshness. However, running the triple-fi direct into the itouch (3.5mm jack) they do sound cold and distant (but I admit the itouch is pretty terrible from its jack).

If you have the budget, get any portable player with line out capability (don't know about the clip+) a line in portable amp (even one of those cheap fiio ones) and the triple-fis. I think that would be a better way to spend your money than customising a set of iems.

From your op I see you haven't tried monsters yet, but honestly I think you need to get some proper, portable, amplification to get the sound you want.

Just my 2p.

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 60
well, i also have an iphone 4g with lod and corda headsix. but after comparing it to the clip i mostly leave it, because the differces are very little.

in german hifi forum we did a lot of rmaa and found out, that only iphone 4 and clip have a flat frequency response with the tf10.

at least its not harshness, its the simple presence of highs, that i can not get used to.

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 60

Have you tried the triple.fi with foam earpieces? Moving from the silicone pieces to foam reduces the highs, for me anyway.

Quote:
well, i also have an iphone 4g with lod and corda headsix. but after comparing it to the clip i mostly leave it, because the differces are very little.

in german hifi forum we did a lot of rmaa and found out, that only iphone 4 and clip have a flat frequency response with the tf10.

at least its not harshness, its the simple presence of highs, that i can not get used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back