Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #3,527 of 13,350
  Ground loop plugs didn't help, a GFI in wall didn't help.  moving iMac off UPS into wall didn't help.

My fix:
JK Audio Pureformer

Not all isolation transformers are created equal...

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #3,528 of 13,350

Not all isolation transformers are created equal...

probably true.

can you compare, recommend or name alternatives please?

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #3,530 of 13,350
I haven't needed one in any home A/V or computing capacities...
I use that very JK transformer in the car when I connect to the AUX input and charger at the same time.

I don't have anything else I can really compare it to, as I jumped straight to it on the recommendation I saw somewhere 5-7 years ago...
In practice, it does an excellent job killing 99.9% of the loud alternator whine; there's some signal attenuation and an extremely faint alternator-induced hum remaining, but I consider this application the be an extreme situation.

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #3,531 of 13,350

I'd be interested in knowing about your hum/buzz removal, because I just solved a similar issue.

when using USB-->BiFrost Uber-->Lyr-->HE-500
with no music playing, volume pot turned to max I could hear a slight buzzing and crackling coming through, no matter what tubes were in the Lyr, no matter the USB cable.
I even tried a different DAC.
yes Jason has said the Lyr is not drop dead silent, but this was more than hum.

turns out my iMac (late 2009) has some VERY noisy USB ports.  because when hooking the same USB chain to my Macbook Air, the MBA produced a "dead black" background even with Lyr volume pot at max.
somehow the USB crackle was leaking out over RCA from BiF to Lyr.
Ground loop plugs didn't help, a GFI in wall didn't help.  moving iMac off UPS into wall didn't help.

My fix:
JK Audio Pureformer

another purchaser on  a-maz-on
posted a review that this device solved his humming as well.

This is the one I bought, after I had tried a Tripp-Lite isolation transformer that did nothing for the buzz: MCM Custom Audio 50-9040 GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR 2 CHANNEL UNBALANCED RCA

I think I had considered the one you purchased also. Either way, I know that it might be removing some signal but I can live with that, to get rid of the hum. I got rid of another integrated tube am because I hated the buzz, but if I had found these fixes I might still have it. I bought one for my computer setup as well...fixed the hum coming from the monitor, which has a very noisy power supply.

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #3,532 of 13,350
I’m looking for a DAC for my Asgard 2.  Does the "Bifrost Uber" have any audible advantage over the Bifrost?

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #3,533 of 13,350
  I’m looking for a DAC for my Asgard 2.  Does the "Bifrost Uber" have any audible advantage over the Bifrost?

1.  Could you please stop posting the same question in multiple forum threads, at the same minute no less?

2.  being an Uber owner since May and never being a non-Uber listener, I can only summarize what I've read here:
IIRC,
Uber provides better clarity, soundstage, and some improvements to bass.

most folks have called it "easily worth the $70 upgrade" (for new orders).

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #3,538 of 13,350

Thanks for your advice. I just didn't want to pay for snake oil.

its not snake oil, i bought a non uber bifrost, had it a while, then bought the upgrade, very much worth the $70 to me

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #3,539 of 13,350

Thanks for your advice. I just didn't want to pay for snake oil.

Ya know, despite not "hearing" a non-Uber myself,
yet based on Jason's open communications, no BS marketing and reputation of their product line-

snake oil from Schiit is about the last thing I'd ever suspect they WANT to manufacture, much less foist on an unsuspecting public.

questioning some new vendor or a fly-by-night operation is one thing, but Schiit has earned trust not to fabric product "improvements" for the sake of $ have they not?

it's a personal thing to answer "is the $70 upgrade *worth it* to me"
vs.
does the upgrade do anything real or is it a fake.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #3,540 of 13,350

Ya know, despite not "hearing" a non-Uber myself,
yet based on Jason's open communications, no BS marketing and reputation of their product line-

snake oil from Schiit is about the last thing I'd ever suspect they WANT to manufacture, much less foist on an unsuspecting public.

questioning some new vendor or a fly-by-night operation is one thing, but Schiit has earned trust not to fabric product "improvements" for the sake of $ have they not?

it's a personal thing to answer "is the $70 upgrade *worth it* to me"
vs.
does the upgrade do anything real or is it a fake.

and sometimes an upgrade may actually do something, and not be perceived by an individual, some may hear a difference
some may not.
"worth it to me" is absolutely a personal opinion , it couldn't be anything else really
and i agree that snake oil from schiit would be very surprising !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back