Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 31, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #3,512 of 13,350
  I've been gone a while... I went back about 10 pages then gave up.  Is there any news on the new Schiit that is coming out?  I'm kinda in the market to replace/upgrade from my Lyr.

It will not be an upgrade from the Lyr. You can not roll different tubes and the power is limited to 640mW at 32 ohms for the Yali vs the Lyr at 6 watts at 32 ohms. There will be an new model called Ragnarok that will have, latter a tube option for $500 extra. However that is may cost about $2K with the tube option maybe sometime in 2014.

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #3,518 of 13,350
Yes it's nice and clean looking.  I enjoy my Lyr this time of year.  Kind of like a nice hand warmer.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #3,519 of 13,350
Does Schiit Audio ever consider including a separate power supply 
to complement their amplifiers or DAC? Like Naim NAPSC which comes
included with their Preamp NAC 282

From the Lyr FAQ:

Why don’t you make a reeeaaalllly big power supply in a separate box and make Lyr sound even better?

Whoa. You’ve been brainwashed by the Two-Chassis Mafia, haven’t you? About 2/3 of Lyr’s total internal volume is already power supply. We’re talking two separate transformers (one for the tube stage, one for the MOSFET outputs), over 35,000uF of filter capacitance, and quiescent current of 130mA–which is more capacitance and higher quiescent current than we used to run in our 60 watt speaker amps! If that’s not enough, well, hell, I don’t know, maybe we sell a pallet of lead-acid batteries and a charger as an option. Or not.

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #3,520 of 13,350
From the Lyr FAQ:

Why don’t you make a reeeaaalllly big power supply in a separate box and make Lyr sound even better?

Whoa. You’ve been brainwashed by the Two-Chassis Mafia, haven’t you? About 2/3 of Lyr’s total internal volume is already power supply. We’re talking two separate transformers (one for the tube stage, one for the MOSFET outputs), over 35,000uF of filter capacitance, and quiescent current of 130mA–which is more capacitance and higher quiescent current than we used to run in our 60 watt speaker amps! If that’s not enough, well, hell, I don’t know, maybe we sell a pallet of lead-acid batteries and a charger as an option. Or not.

I love their web site, maybe because sarcasm and I are old friends

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #3,522 of 13,350
I like their gear immensely. Between their obvious sense of humor, and gear that sounds good, no complaints. I have enjoyed pointing out the tubes on the Lyr, which makes people go wow, is it old. Then explain, no, it's current technology. Pun, yes, intended.

Schiit is hott!

And being that it's made in US, feels kinda special. What's made over here anymore? No offense to anybody, wherever they are. Just saying.

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #3,523 of 13,350
Nov 4, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #3,524 of 13,350
  I like their gear immensely. Between their obvious sense of humor, and gear that sounds good, no complaints. I have enjoyed pointing out the tubes on the Lyr, which makes people go wow, is it old. Then explain, no, it's current technology. Pun, yes, intended.

Schiit is hott!

And being that it's made in US, feels kinda special. What's made over here anymore? No offense to anybody, wherever they are. Just saying.

Tube type amplifiers are still modern technology in a few applications. In fact, in some specialized cases, they are far more efficient and practical than solid state amplifiers (satellite technology is one example). If you watch DirecTV (and any cable provider that gets any signal from a satellite), you're watching a TV signal over a tube amplifier - out in space, no less.

Do you want a commercial microwave amplifier to use for test purposes? Or would you like to build a microwave relay tower? Many of them are made with tubes. Want to build a radar system for a large application (think military)? You're going to use tubes. Pretty much any kind of high power microwave application will still use a specialized type of tube amplifier.

Just because the majority of TV's and radio's no longer use tubes, doesn't mean they're gone. For certain applications, they never went away.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #3,525 of 13,350
  My one gripe was a slight hum/buzz that I was able to get rid of with a small device that also helped with my tube/hybrid integrated amp that I use for computer duty. I can share the model/maker if anyone is interested, for the device. I had tried various things but this nailed it, doesn't seem to take away from the sound.

I'd be interested in knowing about your hum/buzz removal, because I just solved a similar issue.

when using USB-->BiFrost Uber-->Lyr-->HE-500
with no music playing, volume pot turned to max I could hear a slight buzzing and crackling coming through, no matter what tubes were in the Lyr, no matter the USB cable.
I even tried a different DAC.
yes Jason has said the Lyr is not drop dead silent, but this was more than hum.

turns out my iMac (late 2009) has some VERY noisy USB ports.  because when hooking the same USB chain to my Macbook Air, the MBA produced a "dead black" background even with Lyr volume pot at max.
somehow the USB crackle was leaking out over RCA from BiF to Lyr.
Ground loop plugs didn't help, a GFI in wall didn't help.  moving iMac off UPS into wall didn't help.

My fix:
JK Audio Pureformer

another purchaser on  a-maz-on
posted a review that this device solved his humming as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back