Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #3,541 of 13,350
  I’m looking for a DAC for my Asgard 2.  Does the "Bifrost Uber" have any audible advantage over the Bifrost?

You could upgrade the Bifrost to Bifrost Uber at any time.  I've upgraded mine and I should say it hasn't made a day and night different but for me it has made $70 different at least. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #3,542 of 13,350
  Skip buyer's remorse, just go uber and be done with it.

In some circles, we call it a "teaching moment"
cool.gif

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #3,543 of 13,350
My Asgard 2 and Uber Bifrost arrived yesterday. I had the original Asgard at one point, and regretted getting rid of it for the O2. I'm happy to have this set up.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #3,547 of 13,350
when I get home there should be some schiit in my mailbox.

Can't wait :)

Ordered a Magni and a Modi earlier this week.

Will be replacing a FiiO E10 dac/amp

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #3,550 of 13,350
  Still listening to Odac/Valhalla/HD650 with 70's rocket logo 6n1p and some 80's novosibirsk 6n6p. Brillant combo. 

The Valhalla and the HD650 are a very good pairing.  It could be even better by the Bifrost Uber/Valhalla combo, it's my favorite setup for the HD650 unless you want to spend more than $1000.

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,552 of 13,350
Question for Bifrost Owners:

I currently have the original Bifrost (non upgraded) with USB

recently, when watching movies and listening to music (via USB) the sound will become distorted (very staticy and the music is thin and muffled in the background while the static/distortion sound is loud) for about 20-30 seconds before it goes back to normal.  If I pause the audio and replay it, or rewind, it also goes back to normal.  

this only happens occasionally.  the 2 previous times its happened (last eek) i was watching a movie and it was atleast an hour before it occurred 

today it happened after listening to music for 10 minutes.

I'm my setup is macbook pro -> Bifrost (USB) -> amp -> speakers

I will pickup an optical cable so i can see if its the bifrost usb causing the problem. or maybe its some type of interference ?

I don't think the macbook or amp has anything to do with it because I have used the same setup but with an ODAC and never had this issue.  

Just curious if anyone has had a similar issue or could share any knowledge as to what could be the source of the problem

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #3,554 of 13,350

recently, when watching movies and listening to music (via USB) the sound will become distorted (very staticy and the music is thin and muffled in the background while the static/distortion sound is loud) for about 20-30 seconds before it goes back to normal.  If I pause the audio and replay it, or rewind, it also goes back to normal.  

this only happens occasionally.  the 2 previous times its happened (last eek) i was watching a movie and it was atleast an hour before it occurred 

I will pickup an optical cable so i can see if its the bifrost usb causing the problem. or maybe its some type of interference ?

I don't think the macbook or amp has anything to do with it because I have used the same setup but with an ODAC and never had this issue.  

Just curious if anyone has had a similar issue or could share any knowledge as to what could be the source of the problem

I suspect that it is a RAM issue.  If you upgraded your OS X recently you may be at the memory capacity of your machine.

I've had the same issue pre/post mavericks upgrade on my mac mini.  I may look into getting ram, though.  Only have 4gb

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #3,555 of 13,350

I had this issue with a number of Bifrost units and the Gungnir. I recall Jason putting the call out for more details some months ago. Not sure if an official statement was ever made about the cause of the issue. Definitely not to do with RAM. I did everything to isolate the problem. Moving on from Schiit DACs solved it for me. Never once experienced this screeching issue with my previous DACs or the NAD M51 I now own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back