Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #3,422 of 13,350
  for lyr tube installation 

does the tube have to touch the socket?

my front tube when in fine but rear one, wont good in all the way, dont want to use more force

you're putting tubes in for the first time ??

just make sure the pins, and holes are properly aligned, and push, there will be some resistance , the bottom of the tub should be flush with the tube socket

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #3,423 of 13,350
Hey, I'm going to be ordering a Schiit Valhalla in the next few weeks and I had a question to those that already have one, does it come with all the cables needed to hook up to my computer and if not which ones do I need? Mind that it my computer sits in the floor so I would need a longer cable to reach. Thank you for your help in advance.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #3,424 of 13,350
Hey, I'm going to be ordering a Schiit Valhalla in the next few weeks and I had a question to those that already have one, does it come with all the cables needed to hook up to my computer and if not which ones do I need? Mind that it my computer sits in the floor so I would need a longer cable to reach. Thank you for your help in advance.

Only comes with power cable, you can order some nice cables direct from Schiit (PYST).

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #3,426 of 13,350

Mine came with a power cable only. Then you need a cable with right & left RCA inputs into Valhalla. You don't say what output jack(s) you have on the computer end. Somewhat longer than usual analog cables should be fine.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #3,427 of 13,350
Just re-read your question, the PYST cables are very short (for stacking) any reasonable quality rca interconnect will do you fine. You might want to consider a better quality cable if you have a long run though.

They will be plugging into my Asus Xonar Essence STX. Thanks for your help and one more question can you suggest a good site to order some better quality cables from?

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #3,428 of 13,350
Oct 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #3,431 of 13,350
Oct 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #3,432 of 13,350
I have a question for anyone that has owned both the Modi and the Bifrost. Is the Bifrost worth the upgrade over the Modi? Does the sound quality increase significantly enough to warrant the extra cost? I'm considering purchasing the Bifrost with the uber upgrade to pair with my Lyr. I'm currently using it with the Modi and I'm not going to make the purchase if it's not a significant upgrade.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #3,433 of 13,350
I have a question for anyone that has owned both the Modi and the Bifrost. Is the Bifrost worth the upgrade over the Modi? Does the sound quality increase significantly enough to warrant the extra cost? I'm considering purchasing the Bifrost with the uber upgrade to pair with my Lyr. I'm currently using it with the Modi and I'm not going to make the purchase if it's not a significant upgrade.

Well, despite your plea for someone who has "owned both", I have not laid hands on the Modi.
But I have had the BiFrost Uber + USB 2.0 since May, and it's been stellar with my Asgard2 as well as the Lyr.

Other Cliff Notes on the comparison, as this query has been raised frequently:
1.  Jason at Schiit said the Modi is about 80% of the BiFrost. IIRC
2.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard

Of course, the BiFrost also has two additional inputs beyond USB that may or may not be applicable to your source.

glowing words being said, I may need to be unloading my Asgard2 and BiFrost Uber/USB2 to fund a more portable config.
so legit folks here with "real interest in Schiit" without lowball offers ("I'll take both for $100 please.")   send me a PM and maybe we can work something out before I put these up on the forums.
cheers.

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #3,434 of 13,350

Over USB (original Bifrost, pre-upgrades) there was a difference but it was fairly subtle to me. Yes, the Bifrost is better, but I doubt anyone's going to claim it's 4x better. Still, if you want the other inputs or 24/192 support then it's an obvious choice.

With that said, after switching gear around I ended up back with the Modi since I'm using it at work (USB only, dumb laptop) and I don't have anything beyond 24/96. Sure, I'd take a Bifrost (or Gungnir or Yggdrasil) if someone gave it to me, but Modi sounds good enough for the price that I don't miss my Bifrost.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #3,435 of 13,350

i've owned the modi, had the biforst usb2 without uber, then upgraded to uber, which i still own now.
the modi is great but the bifrost is better, how much better the uber is even better.
significant is a relative term. whats significant to me, might not be significant to you
that being said, i think if just depends on your other associated equipment, headphones, listening habits , and your budget really
i have the lyr/uberfrost combo, and i love it !  if you like the modi, i think you'd like the bifrost even more, just my $.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back