Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 22, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #12,991 of 13,350
Schiit is pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to audio value propositions. The standard Modi/Magni combo is a great starter stack. Only other thing I would say to look into is the Vali 2 over the magni. The Vali 2 is slightly more than the magni, but is a tube solid state hybrid. If you like the sound of tube amps, or think you may like them, the vali 2 is an insane value proposition. Either decision, I think you will be happy with the purchase.

I've been told when entering the sliding slope of head-fi that it was recommended to start with a solid state amp if it's your first and only amp, since it doesn't colour the sound. You don't agree or is the Vali 2 not that colored since it is a hybrid amp?

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #12,992 of 13,350
I’m pleased to report lighter, grippier plastic knobs can offer more precise volume control for users with Shrek-style or Wreck-It-Ralph sized fingers.

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #12,993 of 13,350
Are we talking knobs bigger than what comes on the Fulla?

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #12,994 of 13,350
I've been told when entering the sliding slope of head-fi that it was recommended to start with a solid state amp if it's your first and only amp, since it doesn't colour the sound. You don't agree or is the Vali 2 not that colored since it is a hybrid amp?

Just my vote, @Laurenesi ... My Magni3 is rock solid in its performance. It's a solid state amp designed for headphones. If it's fed clean audio, it'll amplify it. Full stop. Sure, it has a somewhat larger wall-wart; however, I know that it will drive ANY of my future headphone purchases, without any unnerving pops or possibilities of magic-blue-oh-f@@k-electrical-fire issues. You're right - solid state, especially at this price range is the way to go. BTW - I'm having a lot of fun screwing around with my little Vali2 toaster; however, if I break it, my Magni's ready to give me aural pleasure (while I ship it back to @SchiitFerBrainz ... and he charges me a stupidity-repair-fee). :ksc75smile:

Are we talking knobs bigger than what comes on the Fulla?
For me, the surface is ridged to allow delicate spinning. Ideally, I'd like the knobs found on some HAM radios, but that's asking a lot. The stock knob was ~1 cm in diameter. My replacements are ~2 cm. The Fulla's is significantly larger than my kludge/mod. With my Shrek-style or Wreck-It-Ralph type hands, it's made it far easier to use.
6mm-rotary-knob-01_edited.jpeg

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #12,995 of 13,350
Any amp will color the sound, if you listen to the same chain, and just replace one solid state amp for another, it will sound different. Tubes tend to color sound more, in fact they actually distort sound, but it's typically in a way people like. The vali 2 tends to be a bit warmer and a bit more engaging in my experience. But your mileage may vary. Look into what people say the two amps sound like, and if you are able too, try them out before hand and choose for yourself! Only you know what you will like most.

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #12,996 of 13,350
For clarification, I use these with a pair of V-Moda M100 headphones, and I use Windows 7 64 bit home premium edition.

Earlier today, whenever any audio was played on my computer, there was either a deafening static noise (that would persist even after I stopped playing the audio) or deafening static with some of the regular audio breaking through. After switching out the USB into a few different ports, I stopped hearing anything. I tried plugging my headphones into the regular headphone jack, though, and those worked, and when I played any audio with the Schiit stack set as the default, sound settings would still detect audio being played (but I of course couldn't here anything). It made no difference if I used a different USB cable, but when I went and tried the stack with a laptop- it worked. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but I kept running into the "please connect the cmedia usb2.0 audio device" error message, which I could find no clear solutions on.

I thought something was wrong with the USB ports and the onboard sound, so I went and bought a USB hub to see if it made any difference- no luck. After speaking to support at a Micro Center, they emphasized this is most likely a driver issue. I eventually came across this solution:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...view-head-fi-tv.818323/page-209#post-13103026

I wasn't able to install the CMUACWO.inf file though ("The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation(, but I did uninstall the Modi driver. Still no luck with the cmedia error. And when I'd merely unplug and replug the stack, it would reinstall the driver all on it's own. I'm not sure if manually reinstalling it is going to do anything.

There doesn't seem to be any issues with the cables, and I can't really tell if the drivers are the problem. I'm really at a loss with what to do next other than contacting Schiit themselves. I have also encountered atleast one other person who experienced the loud static, though not in the order I did: https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile...tech_support_and_general_help_thread/e60xez4/

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #12,997 of 13,350
This Schiit might be getting a bit out of hand...

LZUfJ6V.jpg

PC -> EITR -> MODI Multibit -> SAGA input 1
PC -> EITR -> MODI 3 -> SAGA input 2
Roland Octa-capture -> SAGA input 3
Fractal Audio AxeFX II -> SAGA input 4
(mobile sources) -> SAGA input 5
----------------------------------------------------
SAGA output 1 -> Equator D5 near field monitors
SAGA output 2 -> LOKI Mini -> SYS input
(SYS level potentiometer removed & replaced with soldered wire jumpers to be used as a no load 1-in, 2-out A/B switch)
SYS output 1 -> LYR 3
SYS output 2 -> MAGNI 3

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #12,998 of 13,350
Yes, it's tough to part with this Schiit. Instead of selling some of mine I kept buying more shelving. My place is going to be a Schiit'r look-a-like before too long.

Attachments

• 20190307_130337.jpg
    20190307_130337.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190307_104221.jpg
    20190307_104221.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #12,999 of 13,350
..............{snip}...........a deafening static noise (that would persist even after I stopped playing the audio) or deafening static with some of the regular audio breaking through. After switching out the USB into a few different ports, I stopped hearing anything. I tried plugging my headphones into the regular headphone jack, though, and those worked, and when I played any audio with the Schiit stack set as the default, sound settings would still detect audio being played (but I of course couldn't here anything). It made no difference if I used a different USB cable, but when I went and tried the stack with a laptop- it worked. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but I kept running into the "please connect the cmedia usb2.0 audio device" error message, which I could find no clear solutions on..............{snip}..........
Grim, @Lougnebo . My Acer Chromebook 15 occasionally does the same nonsense. It'll be playing audio normally through its 2 speakers, and then a screachy distorted racket comes out. I've exacerbated it by plugging my EITR into its USB port. I'll reboot my ChromeOS and the issue vanishes... for a time being. I suspect buggy drivers (that hand-off [?] the audio signal from the built-in speakers to the USB).
I've also had the snap-crackle-pop crop up when the flex points at the headphone-jack starts to (ultimately) fail. I ended up using a L-connector to reduce the flex to almost nothing.

Before I head out to work, here's a resource that I've used in the past (to play 'whack-a-mole' with crappy PC audio output):
https://www.howtogeek.com/285429/how-to-fix-crackling-or-popping-sound-on-a-windows-pc/
....I had a hell of a time with my elderly Lenovo T400 laptop with audio drop-outs. This app helped me figure it out (and why I abandoned my WinOS laptop and switched to ChromeOS).....

https://www.schiit.com/guides/usb-problems
....in case you didn't see this FAQ on Schiit Audio's website, eh. :smile_phones:

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #13,000 of 13,350
This Schiit might be getting a bit out of hand...

LZUfJ6V.jpg

PC -> EITR -> MODI Multibit -> SAGA input 1
PC -> EITR -> MODI 3 -> SAGA input 2
Roland Octa-capture -> SAGA input 3
Fractal Audio AxeFX II -> SAGA input 4
(mobile sources) -> SAGA input 5
----------------------------------------------------
SAGA output 1 -> Equator D5 near field monitors
SAGA output 2 -> LOKI Mini -> SYS input
(SYS level potentiometer removed & replaced with soldered wire jumpers to be used as a no load 1-in, 2-out A/B switch)
SYS output 1 -> LYR 3
SYS output 2 -> MAGNI 3

You win the interwebs this morning. This image made my day!

May 7, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #13,001 of 13,350
So I did something very foolish. I ordered a Valhalla 2 even though I don’t get along with tube amplifiers...sorta like visiting a wafflehouse, when you’re allergic to waffles eh?

I did this because a) every ss amp I’ve tried sounds the same and I want something slightly different that still offers up detail..and b) because I fell for the sales talk. So when Schiit proclaims the Valhalla 2 NOT to be your father’s old tube amp, they better be right!!! Hah...
I sure hope the stock tubes are fine. Not really into the whole tube rolling thing. I only roll rolls and joints:)

May 7, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #13,002 of 13,350
So I did something very foolish. I ordered a Valhalla 2 even though I don’t get along with tube amplifiers...sorta like visiting a wafflehouse, when you’re allergic to waffles eh?

I did this because a) every ss amp I’ve tried sounds the same and I want something slightly different that still offers up detail..and b) because I fell for the sales talk. So when Schiit proclaims the Valhalla 2 NOT to be your father’s old tube amp, they better be right!!! Hah...
I sure hope the stock tubes are fine. Not really into the whole tube rolling thing. I only roll rolls and joints:)

They sure are not your daddy’e tube amp, the Valhalla2 is quite solid state sounding with the stock tubes. The only problem with tube amps is the hunt for tubes. Good luck! :)

May 7, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #13,003 of 13,350

I purchased my Valhalla 2 this month (May, 2019). It still appears to be using the stock tubes shown on the web sites' marketing images. You don't have to be like me and run around the GTA looking for that tube. I suspect you'll be satisfied with the stock tubes as is. :gs1000smile: Did you do something foolish? @Kammerat Rebekka ... I doubt it. If you choose a brand new one (instead of B-stock), you're protected by Schiit's no hassle exchange policy. If you really don't like it, you can exchange it for the 100% solid-state (and cheaper) Asgard 2 (when it finally gets off back-order).

They sure are not your daddy’e tube amp, the Valhalla2 is quite solid state sounding with the stock tubes. The only problem with tube amps is the hunt for tubes. Good luck! :)
@cebuboy is right about this being a solid-state-sounding tube. I like it. I'm feeding my new toy with a Modi Multibit, and it's shmoooothhhh.

May 7, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #13,004 of 13,350

With stock tube they will sound little dry in treble. I hope you get JJ goldpin E88CC they at least mellow down those treble a bit and they are cheap.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #13,005 of 13,350
With stock tube they will sound little dry in treble. I hope you get JJ goldpin E88CC they at least mellow down those treble a bit and they are cheap.
With the stock tubes, it doesn't even sound like a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back