Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 20, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #3,121 of 6,469
Yesterday I received my Jotunheim with DAC and had difficulty getting the DAC to work properly, my Windows 10 PC wouldn't recognise it, so I thought I'd describe how I got it working.

The problem:

Windows 10 saw that I had a new device "Schiit USB Audio Gen 2", but it was unable to find/install drivers for it.

So I went to http://schiit.com/drivers but there was nothing specifically for the Jotunheim, but I figured the Gen 2 drivers for the Modi 2 / Modi 2 Uber, Bifrost + Gungnir would work so downloaded those.

I unpacked the zip file and clicked on Setup.exe and it went through the process of trying to install, but the installer said "Please connect the CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device"..  except it was already connected. Hmm

So I disconnected the DAC and reconnected it, still the same message.

Here's how to fix it:

1) Go to the folder where the contents of the unzipped Schiit drivers/installer, and found the Win10 folder > Software Driver > Driver

2) Right mouse click CMUACWO.inf and select INSTALL.   This will now allow you to find the drivers from Device Manager > Update Drivers.

3) Go to your Device Manager under "Other Devices" find the Schiit USB Audio Gen 2 with the yellow question mark next to it.  Select Update Driver Software > Browse My Computer for Driver Software > Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers On My Computer

4) Scroll down the list of device types and select "Sound, Video and Game controllers"

5) Scroll down the list of Manufacturers and click "C-Media Inc".  "USB Audio Class 1.0 and 2.0 Device Driver with MS Effect" should be the only Model shown.

6) Click "Next" and windows will say "Installing this device is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that this is compatible with your hardware.... Do you want to continue".  Click Yes.

7) And you're done !  In device manager your DAC will now appear as a "Schiit USB Audio Gen 2".

Enjoy

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #3,123 of 6,469
Good guide exiges!

I had the same issue with setting up mine yesterday morning. I ended up installing the gen 1 drivers, then uninstalling and then I got the gen 2 drivers to finally take from Schitts website. But I don't remember the exact steps I took. Either way Schitt needs to update their Driver FAQ because it seems the driver isn't correctly auto installing on Windows 10.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #3,124 of 6,469
This is great. I would give vendor driver a go when I had the chance to see if there are any different.

However window default driver installed automatically and worked quite well for me. I checked the driver signature and it was dated June 2016. What is the date of the cmedia driver.?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #3,125 of 6,469
Anyone had issues connecting an Intona between PC & Jot?  With my industrial Intona in front of Jot, I get "unrecognized device".  Works fine with an external hard drive, but no luck with Jot.  Windows 7 64 bit.  Decent grade USB 2.0 cables.  Gen 2 USB audio driver.

Edit to add: SOLVED Decent USB cables, but looong.... 10 footers before and after (all I had on hand).  With a short (3 ft) between Intona and Jot it connects fine, so I suspect voltage drop across the long cable.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #3,126 of 6,469
The CMEDIA driver dates from March 2014, and Windows 10 did not play nice with it.  After several rounds with Compatibility settings, I finally got it to work and it has worked ever since.  The Schiit Modi Multibit's sound is well worth the driver hassle.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #3,127 of 6,469
I received a plain Jot a couple days back, and have been listening w/ my GS-1000e.  I'm liking what I'm hearing.  It might be over-kill for those HPs, but I wanted something that I could grow with.  Vinyl, and the DAC out of my CD player.

I came from a Lyr2, but was looking for a little more detail. Reading around, I thought it possible that I could get that with tube rolling but I didn't want to get sucked into that.

-- Todd

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #3,128 of 6,469
How much more bass does the lyr 2 have in comparison? How about soundstage? I found both to be a let down with jot.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #3,130 of 6,469
So actually im still in the dark what class of amp jotunheim belong to? Hybrid class A?

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #3,133 of 6,469
Thanks!It was not stated either on description & spec.

Whenever it isn't explicitly stated to be Class A (or Class T/fullrange Class D), assume it is A/B if it's for home use. Note that I make the distinction because in pro amps there were a lot more others that are more widely used prior to fullrange Class D's popularity.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #3,134 of 6,469
How much more bass does the lyr 2 have in comparison? How about soundstage? I found both to be a let down with jot.

I don't have the aural memory to compare the two re. bass and soundstage. My sense is that the jot has more detail over the lyr with the stock tubes. It has more timbral body and detail over the discrete amp in my Rogue Sphinx - the lyr has less.. Also, I only have a Grado to make these comparisons so ymmv.

I'll guess is that if you were disappointed with the jot you might be disappointed with the lyr.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #3,135 of 6,469

I went from the Lyr 2 to the Jot and I thought the bass was a little weaker on the Jotunheim at first, but I had a set of 1975 Voskhod "Russian Rocket" tubes in mine, which have a bit of a reputation for being "dark", so I may just have gotten used to the extra bass from those.

Thing is, when it comes to how much bass you have (or other aspects of sound) you are going to have a much bigger impact on this in your choice of headphones, than in your amp.

I found the Jot to have a little less bass than I liked with my Beyerdynamic DT770 pro's.   The Sennheiser DT6xx's (DT650's) however, while they are technically more neutral, allow me to turn them up a bit more due to their less harsh highs, which results in an experience that is more bassy, and I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back