Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 17, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #12,976 of 13,350
This is the 3/4" knob I have on mine. Love it so much better than the stock.

pGQU3UL.jpg

That actually fits better with the overall aesthetic of V2, I think. Mine’s a bit of overkill (but I like it...).

Thanks for the image-inspiration, @JamminVMI . I'm assuming you gently pulled off the axle. It's a half-moon shaped rod, right? Is there a tiny torx/flathead anchoring screw on the knob? I'll spook around my local surplus electronics-store. 1/4-inch, gotcha. BTW, that proudly-erect glass is glorious (mine's [JJ] in the mail... on a truck from TN).

...edit... looked at your prior post. Figured it out....
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-owners-unite.601151/page-865#post-14831052

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #12,977 of 13,350
Mar 18, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #12,978 of 13,350
Hello guys, seems like the perfect thread to ask.
Expecting the Fostex t20rp mk3 any day now and have read they require a fair bit of drive to bring out the best. Mind is pretty set on the Magni/Modi 3 combo at the moment but wondering if there are better alternatives (between £200-300) i may have missed. Any help appreciated

Mar 18, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #12,979 of 13,350
Expecting the Fostex t20rp mk3 any day now and have read they require a fair bit of drive to bring out the best. Mind is pretty set on the Magni/Modi 3 combo at the moment but wondering if there are better alternatives (between £200-300) i may have missed. Any help appreciated

Schiit is pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to audio value propositions. The standard Modi/Magni combo is a great starter stack. Only other thing I would say to look into is the Vali 2 over the magni. The Vali 2 is slightly more than the magni, but is a tube solid state hybrid. If you like the sound of tube amps, or think you may like them, the vali 2 is an insane value proposition. Either decision, I think you will be happy with the purchase.

Mar 18, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #12,980 of 13,350
Schiit is pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to audio value propositions. The standard Modi/Magni combo is a great starter stack. Only other thing I would say to look into is the Vali 2 over the magni. The Vali 2 is slightly more than the magni, but is a tube solid state hybrid. If you like the sound of tube amps, or think you may like them, the vali 2 is an insane value proposition. Either decision, I think you will be happy with the purchase.

Good shout. Just been reading up on the differences and looking at the specs of both. I now want both :frowning2:

Mar 18, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #12,982 of 13,350
At these price ranges, I doubt it. @tegR , you won't regret it.
My HD650 clones (Massdrop) are well served by the Vali. I keep my Magni3 in case I want to get all whoo-whoo and pick up some tough-to-drive Fostex, LCD, or Mister Speaker cans. @MeltyGoblin is right on the money - the Magni/Vali are excellent amps (would I upgrade to an Asgard-2 & Valhalla2? Sure. I like the chunkier knobs & the 4-tube incandescence... I suspect it won't be a dramatic improvement. My little boxes give me 100% of what I need [?% want, eh]).
Schiit has B-stock versions of both available right now, if you want to save some money and don't need the return period. I just ordered a B-stock Vali 2 as my first foray into headamps.
The Vali-2's are a dandy little toaster. It's a great gateway into tube-amps.

If I had to start again, and wanted to go the non-Schiit route. JDS Labs would be my alternate. Meh... my 2 cents' worth...:smile_phones:

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #12,983 of 13,350
What MeltyGoblin said. Vali2! It’s an amazng amp!

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #12,984 of 13,350
Good shout. Just been reading up on the differences and looking at the specs of both. I now want both :frowning2:
Does your budget allow both? How about a Vali/Fulla pairing?

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #12,985 of 13,350
Does your budget allow both? How about a Vali/Fulla pairing?

My budget can change depending on how much i need/want something. I am pretty happy with my zxr soundcard, but there is no way to properly amp straight out of it which is why i'm after a combo. Plan to spdif into dac>amp, that way i can switch between the outputs easily through the soundblaster software

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #12,986 of 13,350
Mar 20, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #12,987 of 13,350

Schiit sent me a new volume knob for my Magni 3 when I had problems with the old one. They described how to change the knob. They never mentioned anything about glue on the knob or that it was needed for a proper fit. I didn't notice any glue on the original Magni 3 knob, but then again I wasn't really looking. The new knob works great and I haven't had any further problems.

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #12,988 of 13,350
Mar 20, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #12,989 of 13,350
So your knobs were glued on originally? Interestingness...
When I gently pried them off (with a plastic wedge), it made an unnerving cracking sound (adhesive released). I held onto the potentiometer's base for dear life. :triportsad:

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #12,990 of 13,350
Happy Friday peeps!
Got a cool box in the mail today! woooohooo! a pair of NOS JAN Philips 6922 for my Valhalla 2! :) yayayayayay
Gonna be pairing a pair of NOS Mullard 12AT7 and new edition mullard EL34 on the amp side of my combo...
let’s see how it goes...
cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back