Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 3, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #11,461 of 13,350
I don't mean any dumb questions,
I have heard a big diffence using Schiit vs just my iPod, I perfer using Schiit when I can and especially now With the Bifrost.
And now getting into differnt file formats with fiio, I hope it works some way
X1 can't output a digital signal out of the headphone jack, it can only be switched onto a Line Out mode

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #11,462 of 13,350
brettem.  When You Ask Questions please be specific as to each device you are trying to use and how you are connecting them. There are about 15 Products that schiit has on their website not including upgrades and accessories. Fiio is the same. Some have multiple inputs and outputs. If you are specific the back and forth debates will be minimal and you will get a better answer. Just saying I want to use my schiit or a FIIO Dap without specifics does not work. If you can't be specific to help us help you there is a good chance that myself and the few others here that still answer your questions will no longer continue to do so.

Quote:
  X1 can't output a digital signal out of the headphone jack, it can only be switched onto a Line Out mode

To reiterate the answer to your question
^^^^^^ What rmullins said^^^^^.  The X1 has  an analog Line Output so A Bifrost or Any other external DAC for that Matter cannot be used directly with an X1. You can go from your X1 to a headphone amp (FIIO or any other Amp)but Unless your cans need more power as Blueprint Stated. Why? The improvement if any will be minimal.

No. You cannot get a Headphone to Coax Cable and Expect it to work. A Headphone output is an analog signal and coaxial input on the Bifrost requires a digital signal. No Way will a plain cable change this ever.

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #11,463 of 13,350
I don't mean any dumb questions,
I have heard a big diffence using Schiit vs just my iPod, I perfer using Schiit when I can and especially now With the Bifrost.
And now getting into differnt file formats with fiio, I hope it works some way

Since the Fiio X1 has no digital output, the most you can do is feed it's line-out to your Valhalla 2.

Is the X1 the only source you have that can play the file formats you're referring to (hard to tell, since you don't say which iPod you have)?

If it is, and you really want to play it through your Valhalla 2, then you either need to get the necessary 3.5mm to RCA cable and then either manually switch cables to the Valhalla 2, or get a SYS (or Similar) for the switching.

If you have an iPod touch then you can pick up an app that will play other file formats (e.g. the Onkyo player) and connect that to your Bifrost digitally.

If you have a PC or Mac then there are other options also.

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #11,464 of 13,350
Thank you!
What I have or referencing to wanting to use are by Bifrost Delta Sigma, Valhalla2 and Fiio X1. But ok! Thank you!
Latter on possibly I could get the SYS for better switching insted of unplugging from the Bifrost.
brettem.  When You Ask Questions please be specific as to each device you are trying to use and how you are connecting them. There are about 15 Products that schiit has on their website not including upgrades and accessories. Fiio is the same. Some have multiple inputs and outputs. If you are specific the back and forth debates will be minimal and you will get a better answer. Just saying I want to use my schiit or a FIIO Dap without specifics does not work. If you can't be specific to help us help you there is a good chance that myself and the few others here that still answer your questions will no longer continue to do so.

To reiterate the answer to your question
^^^^^^ What rmullins said^^^^^.  The X1 has  an analog Line Output so A Bifrost or Any other external DAC for that Matter cannot be used directly with an X1. You can go from your X1 to a headphone amp (FIIO or any other Amp)but Unless your cans need more power as Blueprint Stated. Why? The improvement if any will be minimal.

No. You cannot get a Headphone to Coax Cable and Expect it to work. A Headphone output is an analog signal and coaxial input on the Bifrost requires a digital signal. No Way will a plain cable change this ever.

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #11,465 of 13,350
Thank you
Since the Fiio X1 has no digital output, the most you can do is feed it's line-out to your Valhalla 2.

Is the X1 the only source you have that can play the file formats you're referring to (hard to tell, since you don't say which iPod you have)?

If it is, and you really want to play it through your Valhalla 2, then you either need to get the necessary 3.5mm to RCA cable and then either manually switch cables to the Valhalla 2, or get a SYS (or Similar) for the switching.

If you have an iPod touch then you can pick up an app that will play other file formats (e.g. the Onkyo player) and connect that to your Bifrost digitally.

If you have a PC or Mac then there are other options also.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #11,468 of 13,350
I'm probably going to be adding the Vali 2 to my Magni and Modi setup I already have.  Would something like the Schiit SYS allow me to have both my amps hooked up to my Modi at the same time?  How would that work exactly, any degradation in sound quality?

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #11,469 of 13,350
Is anyone planning on getting the Vali 2?

I think a few people already posted - I rather liked the Vali. I just needed something with lower output impedance. The microphonics fixed and tube rolling options are just...icing 
biggrin.gif

I wasn't in a rush though - west to east coast by USPS will take a while.

I'm probably going to be adding the Vali 2 to my Magni and Modi setup I already have.  Would something like the Schiit SYS allow me to have both my amps hooked up to my Modi at the same time?  How would that work exactly, any degradation in sound quality?

Yes:

1. Plug the out from the DAC to the OUT on the SYS.
  2. Plug the in to each of the amplifiers from the IN 1 and IN 2 on the SYS.
  3. Turn up the volume to full.
  4. Use the switch to select which amplifier to send audio.

Only one amplifier will be fed at a time, per the selector on the SYS. There is no sound degradation.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #11,470 of 13,350
I think a few people already posted - I rather liked the Vali. I just needed something with lower output impedance. The microphonics fixed and tube rolling options are just...icing :D

Yes:

• Plug the out from the DAC to the OUT on the SYS.
  • Plug the in to each of the amplifiers from the IN 1 and IN 2 on the SYS.
  • Turn up the volume to full.
  • Use the switch to select which amplifier to send audio.

Only one amplifier will be fed at a time, per the selector on the SYS. There is no sound degradation.

Thanks! I know there are a little cheaper options, but the SYS will blend in nicely with my setup.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #11,471 of 13,350
  I think a few people already posted - I rather liked the Vali. I just needed something with lower output impedance. The microphonics fixed and tube rolling options are just...icing 
biggrin.gif

Yes:

+1-
I used the sys in this manner for some time. Magni 2 U for one pair of cans and as a pre amp and Original Vali for another.

Yeah I am not in a rush either, I actually got my shipping confirmation for the Vali 2 Yesterday.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #11,472 of 13,350
biggrin.gif

Yes:

The microphonics are my favorite feature in the Vali. I'm confident that it makes my music sound better every time I tap on the chassis. Hey, it puts a smile on my face, not because I'm easily amused or anything...

I'm currently using the SYS to switch between my Bifrost and Mani. It's an elegant, multi-solution switch huh?

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #11,473 of 13,350

The microphonics are my favorite feature in the Vali. I'm confident that it makes my music sound better every time I tap on the chassis. Hey, it puts a smile on my face, not because I'm easily amused or anything...

I'm currently using the SYS to switch between my Bifrost and Mani. It's an elegant, multi-solution switch huh?

SYS - excellent multi-purpose box 
biggrin.gif

Microphonics - as source of entertainment? Maybe the picture below explains 
blink.gif

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #11,474 of 13,350
I've noticed as of late my music is cutting out for a second then comes back on. I'm suspecting something with the usb. I've heard putting a wyrd in the chain could possibly fix this. Any ideas

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #11,475 of 13,350
I've noticed as of late my music is cutting out for a second then comes back on. I'm suspecting something with the usb. I've heard putting a wyrd in the chain could possibly fix this. Any ideas

A shorter, didn't come from a printer USB cable fixed the problem for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back