Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 24, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #11,446 of 13,350

I have 1 Modi and 2 amps, a magni and a Little Dot. So if I buy 2 of these http://www.amazon.com/Link-Triple-Shielded-Y-Adapter-Adapters/dp/B00TSF89KQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448329658&sr=1-6&keywords=rca+y

I can plug both my Magni and Little Dot to the Modi at the same time? Wow didn't know that... thank you!

Only slightly pricier, but it allows me to connect 4 amps to a single dac: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/E93-Free-Shipping-4-Port-Input-1-Output-RCA-Switch-Audio-Video-AV-Switcher-Selector-Box/32310052204.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.2.N9UYE1&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_8

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #11,447 of 13,350
I find that using a Y splitter will reduce the source volume of both components hooked up. Using a switch doesn't have that effect because only one amp can draw from the signal at a time. When I had my speaker amp and my magni 2 hooked up to my modi 2 Uber, the volume would be less than when I unplugged either amp. So I changed to a schiit SYS in reverse to act as a switch, now the volume is normal all the time and I can have both amps on at the same time without sound coming from both, allowing for easy switching between headphones and speakers.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #11,449 of 13,350
Can I ask how do you use the SYS in reverse? So your 2 amps RCA cables are plugged in to SYS in? and the Modi RCA cables are plugged into SYS out?

Exactly, it's passive so it works either way.

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #11,452 of 13,350
I find that using a Y splitter will reduce the source volume of both components hooked up. Using a switch doesn't have that effect because only one amp can draw from the signal at a time. When I had my speaker amp and my magni 2 hooked up to my modi 2 Uber, the volume would be less than when I unplugged either amp. So I changed to a schiit SYS in reverse to act as a switch, now the volume is normal all the time and I can have both amps on at the same time without sound coming from both, allowing for easy switching between headphones and speakers.

I found the same issue!
People continued to tell me what I was hearing, but this is exactly what I heard!

Backwards you must keep the Sys volume at full. It is ONLY a switch when reversed.

+1, in fact I think this discussion is in the Sys thread and endorsed by Schiit, although Schiit also endorses just using the Y-cable too 
rolleyes.gif

I've taken my Sys to meets to allow people to A/B two (of my) systems with identical volume.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #11,453 of 13,350
I'm pretty sure the level/volume knob on my SYS works when it's set up in reverse. I haven't experimented with it much though because I only need it for a high quality switch.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #11,457 of 13,350
Depending on which FIIO DAP you have It does make sense. The X3II and X5II models have a Coax Output. If you are outputting via the Coax output of the DAP to the Coax input of your Modi 2 U, Bifrost etc it's really no different than using a computer with usb or cd player  with optical output. You bypass the Internal DAC of the DAP and now you can take advantage of the Schiit Stack.

I have Done this from time to time at work when my desktop was doing the millions of updates we do every few weeks or when I had albums on my sd cards that I did not have a chance to transfer to my portable Hard drive . It works Perfectly Fine. I have not done any critical listening comparisons.It sounds good and that's all the impressions I have.

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #11,458 of 13,350
Thank you, I have the fiio x1, it only has 1 headphone jack out, so, I should get a -headphone jack out to coaxial?

Thank you
Depending on which FIIO DAP you have It does make sense. The X3II and X5II models have a Coax Output. If you are outputting via the Coax output of the DAP to the Coax input of your Modi 2 U, Bifrost etc it's really no different than using a computer with usb or cd player  with optical output. You bypass the Internal DAC of the DAP and now you can take advantage of the Schiit Stack.

I have Done this from time to time at work when my desktop was doing the millions of updates we do every few weeks or when I had albums on my sd cards that I did not have a chance to transfer to my portable Hard drive . It works Perfectly Fine. I have not done any critical listening comparisons.It sounds good and that's all the impressions I have.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #11,459 of 13,350
X1 can't output a digital signal out of the headphone jack, it can only be switched onto a Line Out mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back