Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 12, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #11,236 of 13,350
the X2 is quite solid at its price point.

@rovopio, if you have no issues with silibance or fatigue with Grado headphones, you likely will not have issues with the majority of other headphones on the market. Grados are typically more treble-focused and have some unique variation in their treble region compared to almost all other headphones on the market. However, if you are very accustomed to the Grado house sound, you may find many other options lacking in "vividness" and "energy" relative to your Grados. I would say that from a measurement perspective, Grados typically measure quite poorly if looking for a more linear-measuring pair of headphones. that is not as important as personal enjoyment of a sound signature, but should be able to get better overall frequency response balance with something like the X2. Whether that is a change in sound signature that you are looking, it is hard to say until you try them!

good luck with your search & upgrades :) hope you find something you like & look forward to hearing your thoughts on whatever you end up deciding.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #11,237 of 13,350
Thank you, well I'm using my valhalla with my new BiFrost DS, so for studio monitors, I can connect to 2 from one set of rca? So one cordoned to each? That is when I get the correct cord

Are these powered Monitors with the amplifier built in? Is so and provided they have rca inputs. you need an rca cable that will pull apart or come in two sections.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJM61GW?keywords=blue%20jeans%20cable%20rca&qid=1444700654&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7

I would advise you to do some research on speaker placement, height and angle as well as the best way to achieve the proper imaging. Using monitors are great if done right.you cant just slam them in a book shelf or on a table and expect optimal sound. front ports vs rear ports make a difference in where you can put them as well as surface resonance of what they are placed on.If you have a Guitar center, sam ash or the like in your area go play. they ussually are more than willing to let you audition them. Mackie, tannoy, yamaha, jbl etc all have a sound uniquely there own. if you ask nice they may even let you move them to get a better sense of imaging  because very rarely do they have them setup right.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #11,238 of 13,350
Thank you!
I'm planning on possibly ultimatly getting the Schiit SYS to use them with.
Someone I've been talking to has said that studio monitors are better to use because there flat and don't color or alter sound,
So I'm going to have a 2.0 setup with them with my Schiit
Are these powered Monitors with the amplifier built in? Is so and provided they have rca inputs. you need an rca cable that will pull apart or come in two sections.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJM61GW?keywords=blue%20jeans%20cable%20rca&qid=1444700654&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7

I would advise you to do some research on speaker placement, height and angle as well as the best way to achieve the proper imaging. Using monitors are great if done right.you cant just slam them in a book shelf or on a table and expect optimal sound. front ports vs rear ports make a difference in where you can put them as well as surface resonance of what they are placed on.If you have a Guitar center, sam ash or the like in your area go play. they ussually are more than willing to let you audition them. Mackie, tannoy, yamaha, jbl etc all have a sound uniquely there own. if you ask nice they may even let you move them to get a better sense of imaging  because very rarely do they have them setup right.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #11,239 of 13,350
  the X2 is quite solid at its price point.

@rovopio, if you have no issues with silibance or fatigue with Grado headphones, you likely will not have issues with the majority of other headphones on the market. Grados are typically more treble-focused and have some unique variation in their treble region compared to almost all other headphones on the market. However, if you are very accustomed to the Grado house sound, you may find many other options lacking in "vividness" and "energy" relative to your Grados. I would say that from a measurement perspective, Grados typically measure quite poorly if looking for a more linear-measuring pair of headphones. that is not as important as personal enjoyment of a sound signature, but should be able to get better overall frequency response balance with something like the X2. Whether that is a change in sound signature that you are looking, it is hard to say until you try them!

good luck with your search & upgrades :) hope you find something you like & look forward to hearing your thoughts on whatever you end up deciding.

Thank you!

Did you managed to listen to the couple Japanese songs I showed you? The songs are some of my test-tracks for headphones I can audition. Since the Grado I currently own is said to be the brightest of the bunch, the 325e, I'd like to find something that can complements them in an opposite way. That's pretty much what's in my mind. Though in all honesty, having owned the 60e, 80e, and rs2e, as well, though the 60e is more toned down than the 325e, the other three I feel is more shouty to my ear. Maybe not as bright as the 325e, but the 325e manage to be loud but not shouty at the same time (Well as smooth as a Grado can be).

Of course the gh-1 that you listened to, is supposedly (from others' impression) be smoother than 325e.

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #11,240 of 13,350
Today I am a Schiit owner for the first time. (Which my autocorrect insists on changing to "Schist".)

I received my Bifrost and Valhalla 2, which I am using to drive a pair of HD800s that I got yesterday. So I've really dived in the deep end.

The Bifrost is connected to a Raspberry Pi running Volumio for a self-contained audio system.

So far, everything sounds pretty great. I read I have to wait for the tubes to "burn in" for a while before making any judgements.

I wasn't sure whether to go with the Valhalla or the Asgard, but so far the Valhalla seem fine - although it does get very hot, the glowing tubes are really cool.

So, hi!

Edit: Here's a picture of my setup: https://i.imgur.com/g9VtpxG.jpg

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #11,241 of 13,350
I just received my Lyr 2 today, and I'm using them to drive my Oppo PM-3 right now.  I'm running into a little bit of an issue in that even with nothing plugged into the input at all, I still hear noise coming from the amp.  It's set to low gain, and any volume greater than 9 o clock will cause there to be a very noticeable fuzzy noise.  It's not so noticeable while music is playing, but definitely there during the quiet sections.  This is a little upsetting; I almost would rather just plug my headphones directly into my computer instead (no noise)!

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it just because the PM-3's are super sensitive? The Lyr 2 website says that it should be just fine with any headphones, though. Are my tubes bad (I got my Lyr 2 from another member)?

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #11,242 of 13,350
  Today I am a Schiit owner for the first time. (Which my autocorrect insists on changing to "Schist".)

I received my Bifrost and Valhalla 2, which I am using to drive a pair of HD800s that I got yesterday. So I've really dived in the deep end.

The Bifrost is connected to a Raspberry Pi running Volumio for a self-contained audio system.

So far, everything sounds pretty great. I read I have to wait for the tubes to "burn in" for a while before making any judgements.

I wasn't sure whether to go with the Valhalla or the Asgard, but so far the Valhalla seem fine - although it does get very hot, the glowing tubes are really cool.

So, hi!

Edit: Here's a picture of my setup: https://i.imgur.com/g9VtpxG.jpg

Welcome. I am Running a Bifrost MB and a Valhalla 2. I thoroughly enjoy it. To my ears at least giving the tubes some good "burn in" time helps. Also You need to make sure they are good and warm before you do any in depth listening.The sounds changes when they are cold.
Here some threads about Valhalla tube Rolling, When you do decide to but other tubes other than making sure thye are the right type make sure you get matched pairs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626399/the-best-of-the-bunch-russian-tubes-for-schiit-valhalla-version-1-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619910/schiit-valhalla-tube-rolling-thread

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #11,243 of 13,350
  I just received my Lyr 2 today, and I'm using them to drive my Oppo PM-3 right now.  I'm running into a little bit of an issue in that even with nothing plugged into the input at all, I still hear noise coming from the amp.  It's set to low gain, and any volume greater than 9 o clock will cause there to be a very noticeable fuzzy noise.  It's not so noticeable while music is playing, but definitely there during the quiet sections.  This is a little upsetting; I almost would rather just plug my headphones directly into my computer instead (no noise)!

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it just because the PM-3's are super sensitive? The Lyr 2 website says that it should be just fine with any headphones, though. Are my tubes bad (I got my Lyr 2 from another member)?

@yding202, is the noise on one channel or both channels?

If one channel: 
1) check that your tubes are seated tightly in place and the cable connections (PC>dac>amp>headphone) are all securely in place
2) Swap tube positions 
3) Does the noise switch channels?

If both channels:
1) Try plugging your Lyr 2 into a different wall outlet. Or if connected to a surge protector, unconnect everything else to see if the noise disappears. May be a ground loop issue

If neither solution helps, contact Schiit customer support: info@schiit.com. Tell them the troubleshooting things you have already tried.

On low gain on the Lyr 2 (IIRC), you shouldn't hear the noise floor until you are at the 2-3 o'clock position. It's about the same for the M2. On high gain, noise floor can be hear at the 12-1 o'clock position I believe.

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #11,244 of 13,350

May be a bad tube but That Sounds like it may be dirty power. If there is something on that same circuit (fridge,dryer, etc)  it can cause weird humming and buzzing on the whole circuit. Have you had other amps in the past? If so did you hear any of this at all? You can Try a different outlet on a different circuit if you don't know if its on a different circuit just move to two or three rooms on different sides of the house. if you are using a surge protector by pass that and go straight in the wall to see if you still have the noise. Dirty power can make great amps hard to listen to,. I had a similar problem (not with lyr but i have dealt with dirty power before) I ended up buying a very large power conditioner which I have everything in the chain plugged into.  I used to have a weird noise from my tv that went away as well.

If you still have issues send an email to schiit from the form on the website. They are quick with responses very helpful.

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #11,245 of 13,350
If it helps on my Lry 2, i've cranked it up to max (no music)  with 3 sets of tubes and Lisst cans all had no noise at all.

This is plugged into a extensions with a PC, 2 monitors and a USB power charger.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #11,246 of 13,350
How's tbe Bifrost MB? Did you upgrade it to MB? I also have the V2
Welcome. I am Running a Bifrost MB and a Valhalla 2. I thoroughly enjoy it. To my ears at least giving the tubes some good "burn in" time helps. Also You need to make sure they are good and warm before you do any in depth listening.The sounds changes when they are cold.
Here some threads about Valhalla tube Rolling, When you do decide to but other tubes other than making sure thye are the right type make sure you get matched pairs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626399/the-best-of-the-bunch-russian-tubes-for-schiit-valhalla-version-1-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619910/schiit-valhalla-tube-rolling-thread

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #11,247 of 13,350
How's tbe Bifrost MB? Did you upgrade it to MB? I also have the V2

No upgrade. I bought it as an MB. I have already posted my initial thoughts.

The MB has been out less that two weeks,  Most people have not even gotten theirs yet and the people who have the MB have either posted their impressions or will in due time. they have may not have had the time to really enjoy it themselves. Work , Kids, sleep, the bar. All of that gets in the way. It seems you are new to the hobby I would hate for you to get a bad taste in your mouth but if you want to know what people impressions of the MB are read the MB thread. Questions are perfectly fine with in reason but I have seen many people ask you and I have even suggested it to you as well to slow down, and just listen to the music.

...There's an old joke about a young bull and an old bull looking down at a herd of cows from the top of the hill. The young bull says, “Let's run down the hill and do a cow”. The old bull says, “Let's walk down the hill and do them all”...

You are in the presence of people with the mentality of the Old Bull it would behoove you to listen. If you don't understand that you should just Buy a Multibit. Schiit offers 2 Day shipping and on Friday you will have the answer to all of your questions regarding the MB

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #11,248 of 13,350
Money, It seems we were thinking along the same lines at the same time. I would say Great Minds thing alike but I don't want to insult you.
beerchug.gif

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #11,249 of 13,350

@yding202, is the noise on one channel or both channels?

If one channel: 
1) check that your tubes are seated tightly in place and the cable connections (PC>dac>amp>headphone) are all securely in place
2) Swap tube positions 
3) Does the noise switch channels?

If both channels:
1) Try plugging your Lyr 2 into a different wall outlet. Or if connected to a surge protector, unconnect everything else to see if the noise disappears. May be a ground loop issue

If neither solution helps, contact Schiit customer support: info@schiit.com. Tell them the troubleshooting things you have already tried.

On low gain on the Lyr 2 (IIRC), you shouldn't hear the noise floor until you are at the 2-3 o'clock position. It's about the same for the M2. On high gain, noise floor can be hear at the 12-1 o'clock position I believe.

Ah yes, I didn't notice it before, but it was only in the right channel.  After swapping the tubes, it is now in the left channel.

I've tried a few different rooms/power sockets in my apartment, and they all exhibit the same noise.  I guess I'll have to order some new tubes, then...

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #11,250 of 13,350

Ah yes, I didn't notice it before, but it was only in the right channel.  After swapping the tubes, it is now in the left channel.

I've tried a few different rooms/power sockets in my apartment, and they all exhibit the same noise.  I guess I'll have to order some new tubes, then...

Sounds like you may have it almost sorted out. Before you order new tubes.If you ordered the lyr directly from schiit and the lyr is only a few days old. Send the an email  and them about the problem and the tests you did and what you found. the tech may ask you to do a few more tests for their sanity and they may help with the tube situation sorted out. In my experience they will do everything in their power to make it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back