Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 16, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #10,441 of 13,350
P.S. Jason: please don't ever use LISST Tubes. That's just as bad as people saying "ATM Machine" and "PIN Number"...

I refuse to call them tubes at all. They're really solid state tube inserts.

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #10,444 of 13,350
I think it was on the Magni / Modi 2 Official thread. I was not subscribed to that one, and I was away a lot for the past month, I think I remember the discussion devolved to Steak and Mcdonalds in the end.

As far as I read them back then, the poster didn't reply anymore after a while, so I don't know what's the conclusion of that question.

That was me! Haha

I stopped posting for that reason, people started talking about food.

My wall plugs still get quite warm, especially the bigger magni plug. I just unplug them when I turn off my stack.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #10,447 of 13,350

I have no idea.  I couldn't get a firm answer on that.

Actually... another member reply to me a page back (but I couldn't decipher what he meant, being non-native in addition to not being that familiar with electronics)

The transformer is still attached to the mains wether the amp, DAC or what have you is powered on. It is expected to be above ambient.

Hope that helps @mysticstryk, and if does helps you, do you mind re-explaining to me what the member meant?
Where is this transformer they are talking about? Is it on the unit or inside the adapter? And what is Mains?
And by above ambient, they basically said it's normal for the adapter to be warm is it?

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #10,448 of 13,350

Actually... another member reply to me a page back (but I couldn't decipher what he meant, being non-native in addition to not being that familiar with electronics)

Hope that helps @mysticstryk, and if does helps you, do you mind re-explaining to me what the member meant?
Where is this transformer they are talking about? Is it on the unit or inside the adapter? And what is Mains?
And by above ambient, they basically said it's normal for the adapter to be warm is it?

So I did a bit of research on wall warts.  Turns out that most (maybe all) still run in a low power state even when the equipment it is powering is turned off.  

Some people recommend unplugging them to conserve on electric bills.  They may also get just a tiny bit warm due to them not powering down completely, though should not be hot.  If they do get really hot while the equipment is off, it may be defective. 

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #10,449 of 13,350

So what is happening is the adapter is what is called a non-switching power adapter which means that no matter if the device is on, off, or even plugged in the adapter is working converting the power and sending it down the cord.  With a switching power supply if the device is off or not plugged in the adapter shuts itself off except for a small amount of power to get the signal to turn back on; these are commonly found in A/V Receivers, TVs, and other electronics you can power on and off with a remote.  

Mains refer to the Main power line in the house or building, example is any wall outlet is connected to the main power line in from the city.  

The transformer is the wall adapter.  The adapter houses a small power transformer similar to ones seen at power sub stations but on a MUCH smaller scale.

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #10,450 of 13,350
  So what is happening is the adapter is what is called a non-switching power adapter which means that no matter if the device is on, off, or even plugged in the adapter is working converting the power and sending it down the cord.  With a switching power supply if the device is off or not plugged in the adapter shuts itself off except for a small amount of power to get the signal to turn back on; these are commonly found in A/V Receivers, TVs, and other electronics you can power on and off with a remote.  

Mains refer to the Main power line in the house or building, example is any wall outlet is connected to the main power line in from the city.  

The transformer is the wall adapter.  The adapter houses a small power transformer similar to ones seen at power sub stations but on a MUCH smaller scale.

Thank you. I never paid attention to adapter temperature, but glad to know that warm adapter is normal and I can just plug it in all the time.
I'm too lazy to take them off my power outlets.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #10,451 of 13,350
Given that schiit places quite an emphasis on stacking, is there anyone willing to showcase the record height of schiit stack? Made out of all schiits with the same size (Wyrd, Mani, Loki, Modi, SYS and then magni).

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #10,452 of 13,350
Schiit Stack has arrived!

I know I have seen a bigger stack (want to say 6) but this is the largest I see in this thread.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #10,453 of 13,350
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/3870#post_11063944

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #10,455 of 13,350
So I guess that Schiit have a few orders to fill after the big show this weekend. 
biggrin.gif
  I'm in for a GMB. Anxiously awaiting a shipping notification...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back