Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 25, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #9,541 of 13,350
  and i have very little "technical" knowledge , less than novice

If you are less than novice then I am a barnacle head. I know the gist of how things work but can't for the life of me build anything

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #9,543 of 13,350

If you are less than novice then I am a barnacle head. I know the gist of how things work but can't for the life of me build anything

i'm no builder either , i haven't soldered anything since i was a kid playing with my dad's soldering gun, (and getting in trouble for it)
but i can turn a screw, and unplug a board, and plug one back in, and get a bifrost put back together! i got skills now ! lol  
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #9,544 of 13,350
  i'm no builder either , i haven't soldered anything since i was a kid playing with my dad's soldering gun, (and getting in trouble for it)
but i can turn a screw, and unplug a board, and plug one back in, and get a bifrost put back together! i got skills now ! lol  
wink.gif

lol, I tried to build an "audiophile" Altoids amp and got the final lines crossed lol. I won't try again unless a skilled person lends a hand

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #9,545 of 13,350
first, is the distortion worse on one side or another? Swap your tube positions and see if the more audible distortion switches positions. If so, you have defective tubes, contact Schiit CS.

If not, it may be a ground loop issue. try individual swapping out all the componets in your chain to isolate the cause.

1) Check all your cable connections & make sure your tubes are seated properly. dont forget to check your headphone cables and power plug.
2) Remove your dac from your chain, test again. Leave the dac out of your chain for the remainder of testing
3) Try with a different source player & different media players on computer & different tracks
4) Try your setup on a different wall plug without any extension cables/surge protectors.
5) If a computer try a different AC cord/adapter (that was what was causing my issue)
6) Try a different amp or try without the amp.
7) Try with different headphones or try swapping the wires for L/R inputs if the noise is louder on one side.

If nothing else is the culprit, then contact Schiit CS & tell them exactly what you already did for troubleshooting

Thank you. I will try these one by one to see if the problem can be fixed. 

Since I bought it used, I'm not sure if I can get custom support from Schiit. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #9,546 of 13,350
Last night I tried out my Lyr as a preamp. I was pleasantly surprised to percieve not only great imaging but I heard sound that appeared to be wider than my speaker location. Very nice with my old Denon

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #9,547 of 13,350
first, is the distortion worse on one side or another? Swap your tube positions and see if the more audible distortion switches positions. If so, you have defective tubes, contact Schiit CS.

If not, it may be a ground loop issue. try individual swapping out all the componets in your chain to isolate the cause.

1) Check all your cable connections & make sure your tubes are seated properly. dont forget to check your headphone cables and power plug.
2) Remove your dac from your chain, test again. Leave the dac out of your chain for the remainder of testing
3) Try with a different source player & different media players on computer & different tracks
4) Try your setup on a different wall plug without any extension cables/surge protectors.
5) If a computer try a different AC cord/adapter (that was what was causing my issue)
6) Try a different amp or try without the amp.
7) Try with different headphones or try swapping the wires for L/R inputs if the noise is louder on one side.

If nothing else is the culprit, then contact Schiit CS & tell them exactly what you already did for troubleshooting

I just tried to take the Tubemonger socket saver out and installed the tubes back. The noise reduced a lot, only a tiny circuit noise left. So looks like it's the socket saver cased the problem. I can enjoy my musics now. 

I need to buy another socket saver. Any suggestion? 

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #9,549 of 13,350

I just tried to take the Tubemonger socket saver out and installed the tubes back. The noise reduced a lot, only a tiny circuit noise left. So looks like it's the socket saver cased the problem. I can enjoy my musics now. 

Just get the plainest and cheapest socket saver is what I use.  

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #9,550 of 13,350
Thanks, But again, what would be some ideal earbuds that would be good to use?
I'm looking at shure se835 but those are a little too much right now but then I'm looking at sennheiser, I think I might go with the sennheiser ie80? Are those good?

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #9,551 of 13,350

You should contact Tubemonger.  They are usually eager to deal with possible problems with their socket savers.  When I thought one of mine was defective I contacted them and was immediately offered a new pair, as they wanted my pair back so they could study them.  My problem was a PYST cable (also dealt with expeditiously by Schiit), but I know of at least one other Head-Fier with a similar experience with Tubemonger.  It's in your best interest to contact them.  Maybe they'd be willing to swap them for their new model.  I've got both types, and they've both been rock solid.  Since you've spent the money, may as well take another shot via an exchange.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #9,553 of 13,350
Thanks, But again, what would be some ideal earbuds that would be good to use?
I'm looking at shure se835 but those are a little too much right now but then I'm looking at sennheiser, I think I might go with the sennheiser ie80? Are those good?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-335-iems-compared-sennheiser-momentum-in-ear-added-03-26-15-p-1050

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #9,554 of 13,350
In a bit of a fudge here, though I settled on the Lyr2 to be my end-game amp by the end of this year when I get it, I'm torn now between that and the Asgard2. I know that the Asgard has more solid performance (lower distortion, noise floor, stuff) than Lyr but I don't know about how it sounds in comparison. I keep reading good things about the Lyr, but 'upgrade tubes' comes up in almost every intelligent review or opinion. Tubes aren't exactly all over the place and easily affordable, so I'm getting weary of the Lyr and starting to do research on the Asgard. Do the two amps sound really different, and what do they sound like in comparison with eachother? Also, which one has closer to end-game performance without getting too close to analytical? 

I'm also going to have to go through the whole Lyr tube rolling thread, aren't I? :p

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #9,555 of 13,350
In a bit of a fudge here, though I settled on the Lyr2 to be my end-game amp by the end of this year when I get it, I'm torn now between that and the Asgard2. I know that the Asgard has more solid performance (lower distortion, noise floor, stuff) than Lyr but I don't know about how it sounds in comparison. I keep reading good things about the Lyr, but 'upgrade tubes' comes up in almost every intelligent review or opinion. Tubes aren't exactly all over the place and easily affordable, so I'm getting weary of the Lyr and starting to do research on the Asgard. Do the two amps sound really different, and what do they sound like in comparison with eachother? Also, which one has closer to end-game performance without getting too close to analytical? 

I'm also going to have to go through the whole Lyr tube rolling thread, aren't I? :p

Hi I own both amps, and if you want a end game type of performance, then get the lyr2. You can find relatively inexpensive tubes for your lyr2. You should, contact Bob, @rb2013 a fine gentleman who, can possibly help hook you up with marvellous vokshods NOS tubes. Go to the lyr tube rolling threads and look around. One can get better r tubes, than the stock, without going down the rabbit hole. :) If I ever won the lottery, I would happily do a swan dive into that hole, and embrace the tube addict within:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back