Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 25, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #9,512 of 13,350
For what its worth, my original Valhalla can push my T1's which are 600ohm to deafening levels easily.  I haven't had it past 65% yet because its so loud it just hurts at that point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #9,514 of 13,350

90 dB listening level + 30 dB dynamic range = 120 dB dynamic peaks! You would need a full watt to handle that. (Just an example.)

How did you determine the 65 dB average listening level, by the way?

It's possible that the OPPO player does something not as well as a headphone amp with the same specs, but this is just speculation.

I looked up the headphone output specs for the BDP-105D.

What does it mean with the dynamic range spec?

Hi Music Alchemist

No-my listening level is not 90 db! The max recommended is 85 db for no more than 4 hours. I keep the average at or below 70 db, I measured with a decibel meter -with the microphone inside the headphones. Classical has a lot of volume variation-frequently to the low side-then sometimes to the higher volumes-very briefly. Nothing painful.
I think the Dynamic range is just the absolute limit based on the noise floor. Of course I could be wrong.

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #9,515 of 13,350
  Hi Music Alchemist

No-my listening level is not 90 db! The max recommended is 85 db for no more than 4 hours. I keep the average at or below 70 db, I measured with a decibel meter -with the microphone inside the headphones. Classical has a lot of volume variation-frequently to the low side-then sometimes to the higher volumes-very briefly. Nothing painful.
I think the Dynamic range is just the absolute limit based on the noise floor. Of course I could be wrong.

Yeah, that was just an example.

It's possible that something is going on with your player that makes it work differently than a normal headphone amp, but again, this is just speculation. A better comparison would be with a dedicated headphone amp with similar specs compared to the other headphone amp.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #9,519 of 13,350
  Does anyone know the difference between Lyr 1 and 2?

Completely Redesigned for Flexibility
We completely reworked Lyr 2 to make it an even higher-performing, more flexible amp. We added a gain switch so you can now use efficient headphones (and even many IEMs.) We've also cut the noise with a new regulated high-voltage supply and DC regulated heaters. A refined Dynamically Adaptive output stage transitions seamlessly from Class A to Class AB, for excellent overall efficiency. 

from Schiit's website; I underlined the actual differences

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #9,520 of 13,350
Got an used Lyr just 2 days ago. It has noticeable background noise. I'm using HD650 and AKG Kxx. AKG has louder noise than HD650. When I turn volume up the noise increased accordingly. I tried to swap the tubes(JJ E88CC), change the power cable, change the power outlet, move around and change the RCA cable, but nothing worked. The noise even exists after I disconnect the RCA cable. I searched online, looks like many people also has noise problem for Lyr. Is it possible that the tube is dying? Any suggestion to fix it will be appreciated. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #9,521 of 13,350
I'm not going to reveal the insane price I'm (hopefully) getting it for until I've claimed it!

if i rmb correctly, arent u savin up for a stax sr009??

u seem to be flying thro a lot of different gear recently.

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #9,522 of 13,350
if i rmb correctly, arent u savin up for a stax sr009??

u seem to be flying thro a lot of different gear recently.

I plan on getting the STAX SRS-2170 system far before then. An SR-009 system is a crazy investment that will require launching new businesses to fund, which will take months at the least.

Right now, I'm just getting headphones that cost me little or no money, by selling and trading stuff I already have.

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #9,523 of 13,350
Got an used Lyr just 2 days ago. It has noticeable background noise. I'm using HD650 and AKG Kxx. AKG has louder noise than HD650. When I turn volume up the noise increased accordingly. I tried to swap the tubes(JJ E88CC), change the power cable, change the power outlet, move around and change the RCA cable, but nothing worked. The noise even exists after I disconnect the RCA cable. I searched online, looks like many people also has noise problem for Lyr. Is it possible that the tube is dying? Any suggestion to fix it will be appreciated. 

first, is the distortion worse on one side or another? Swap your tube positions and see if the more audible distortion switches positions. If so, you have defective tubes, contact Schiit CS.

If not, it may be a ground loop issue. try individual swapping out all the componets in your chain to isolate the cause.

1) Check all your cable connections & make sure your tubes are seated properly. dont forget to check your headphone cables and power plug.
2) Remove your dac from your chain, test again. Leave the dac out of your chain for the remainder of testing
3) Try with a different source player & different media players on computer & different tracks
4) Try your setup on a different wall plug without any extension cables/surge protectors.
5) If a computer try a different AC cord/adapter (that was what was causing my issue)
6) Try a different amp or try without the amp.
7) Try with different headphones or try swapping the wires for L/R inputs if the noise is louder on one side.

If nothing else is the culprit, then contact Schiit CS & tell them exactly what you already did for troubleshooting

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #9,525 of 13,350

Except I wouldn't be able to trade the DT 880 for any of those... :'(

But I actually just found a used HE-500 (which retailed for $900) for a lower price than I ever would have expected. Gonna try to make the money for that before someone else snatches it up!

You should really love the HE-500's, what a great sound, the lows reach down and shake one's bones.
You guys have been very busy since I last looked yesterday, glad nobody fried their ears while fiddling with volume knobs.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back