Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 26, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #9,571 of 13,350

Yeah, I was the one who sparked that conversation here, if I recall.

I just calculated the power, voltage, and current requirements for the HE-500:

I don't know how relevant voltage and current is. Schiit doesn't seem to release those specs for their amps.

If the amp can reach the spec'd power at the spec'd impedance then it has to be able to supply both required the voltage and current or else it won't reach the power as the they are all related.
P = E2/R
P = I2*R
P = I*E
Easy math.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #9,572 of 13,350

Nothing's really falling short other than the lack of preamp outs and gain switch. I've never actually heard another amp, so I don't know what anything else sounds like, but I figured if I'm going to be upgrading I might as well throw in the extra power and control over the volume knob, as well as gain and preamp outs when I do so. Besides, I'm getting into speakers next. 

This is precisely why I went from Vali to Lyr 2 - preamp outputs for speakers, more control over volume ( avoiding imbalance at low levels ) and the ability to tube roll at some point. I also liked the look of the Lyr 2 better and consider that a "feature" although I'm sure lots of people don't care about that. Been very happy with the upgrade. 

I'm gong to try and spend some time acclimating myself to the stock tubes before I dive too deep into the Rollers' thread. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #9,574 of 13,350
I would but I just preordered MrSpeakers ETHER headphones and planning on getting the Yggdrasil, soon too. I will get some tubes, in November, to celebrate my birthday.

Yeah, I saw those there and damn do they look sexy. :p I'll look forward to reading the reviews, and hopefully I'll be able to either borrow one from someone on the forums or get one used. I'm done looking for headphones for myself, I just want to experience others and see what they have to offer.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #9,575 of 13,350

This is precisely why I went from Vali to Lyr 2 - preamp outputs for speakers, more control over volume ( avoiding imbalance at low levels ) and the ability to tube roll at some point. I also liked the look of the Lyr 2 better and consider that a "feature" although I'm sure lots of people don't care about that. Been very happy with the upgrade. 

I'm gong to try and spend some time acclimating myself to the stock tubes before I dive too deep into the Rollers' thread. 

That's what I'll do as well, I'll wait to tube roll after I've spent a year or two with the stocks. I've got so little money and so many things to buy that bits and pieces like tubes'll have to wait!

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #9,576 of 13,350
I'm just afraid I'll end up getting a Lyr and I look to find tubes and the only good ones are $400 or something obscene. I've heard a bunch about those Voskhod rockets, and it seems like those are going to be the ones I'll like, but I'm hoping I'll find more info on all of it. 

the Voskhod rockets are like $80-$150-$200 for a matched pair from the prices ive seen on em over the past year of random checking.

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #9,577 of 13,350
  For some reason, this link lists different power requirements for the HE-500 than I calculated: 1,888 mW for 120 dB, 597 mW for 115 dB, and 189 mW for 110 dB.

Here's what I get:
1.26W for 120 dBSPL
398.3 mW for 115 dB SPL
125.97 mW for 110 dBSPL
All of this is at 38 Ohms with an 89 dBSPL @ 1 mW Spec. as per Hifiman.

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #9,579 of 13,350
  Here's what I get:
1.26W for 120 dBSPL
398.3 mW for 115 dB SPL
125.97 mW for 110 dBSPL
All of this is at 38 Ohms with an 89 dBSPL @ 1 mW Spec. as per Hifiman.

Yes, I got the same specs as you, shown in the images I posted.

I think it's because some of HiFiMAN's headphones (like the HE-6) are a little different. InnerFidelity talked about it.

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #9,580 of 13,350
  So it could be pretty affordable, or something I have to save up for a few months. Grr.

really just depends on if you want the "legit" years or just any one is fine for you. kinda reminds me of wine lol with like the talk of xyz year is better vs zyx year.

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #9,581 of 13,350
  really just depends on if you want the "legit" years or just any one is fine for you. kinda reminds me of wine lol with like the talk of xyz year is better vs zyx year.

By the way, the reason I canceled my JVC HA-SZ2000 order was to be able to afford the HE-500. I will probably get the Sennheiser HD 700 soon as well. Pretty psyched to be able to get headphones that were originally $900 and $1,000 with the resources I already have! (I can get the SZ2K anytime in the future.)

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #9,582 of 13,350

By the way, the reason I canceled my JVC HA-SZ2000 order was to be able to afford the HE-500. I will probably get the Sennheiser HD 700 soon as well. Pretty psyched to be able to get headphones that were originally $900 and $1,000 with the resources I already have! (I can get the SZ2K anytime in the future.)

You might want to audition the HD700's before you order them. I found everything about them great except for its treble which to me was a bit grating.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #9,583 of 13,350

lol ya, but they haven't been retailed at that kinda pricing for a long time. most headphones are also overpriced upon initial release. prices often fluctuate. if you are patient enough to wait it out, you can always snipe a nice deal on headphones. think i only bought one or two headphones at full price.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #9,584 of 13,350
  You might want to audition the HD700's before you order them. I found everything about them great except for its treble which to me was a bit grating.

Can't pass up the awesome opportunities I'm presented with, because I would have to invest far more resources to get them otherwise.

I'm a hardcore headphone freak. I just buy 'em and deal with it (return, sell or trade) if I don't like 'em.

I'm hoping that any problems I have with future headphones can be solved (at least partially) with EQ.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #9,585 of 13,350
Can't pass up the awesome opportunities I'm presented with, because I would have to invest far more resources to get them otherwise.

I'm a hardcore headphone freak. I just buy 'em and deal with it (return, sell or trade) if I don't like 'em.

I'm hoping that any problems I have with future headphones can be solved (at least partially) with EQ.

I am a noobie, I have not touched a equalizer in many, many years. I might have to get one and try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back