Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #5,521 of 13,350
On an unrelated note, I just bit the bullet and ordered the Gungnir! I'll likely pair it with the Wyrd, once it becomes available. 

Who knows, maybe I'll step up to the Yggy one day, but likely not anytime soon 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5,522 of 13,350
  Anyone here used a US 115V Schiit product with a step down transformer for converting Europe 230V to 115V? Planning to travel for a month and was wondering if I can take my amp with me.

Hi.

Lumos, a user from Georgia, has successfully used -or is indeed still using- a step-down transformer with his Magni/ Modi combo...

Best,

Leonel

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #5,524 of 13,350
  Alex relayed some info: 

It has one input port and one output port as it is meant to improve a single USB signal.  It couldn't do that if multiple items were plugged in.  It is not a simple powered hub, it is a signal cleaner and reclocker also.  Essentially it sits between your computer and your DAC.  It takes the underpowered, noisy, fragmented signal from your computer and brings the voltage and amperage up to spec, filters out the noise, and reclocks the packets to ensure a regular flow of data and power to your DAC.  Most powered hubs will simply bump up the power without dealing with signal noise or packet flow.

I've just gone through a little bit of a personal adventure with an attempt at improving audio over USB. Tried out external USB to S/PDIF converters, IFI iUSB, Batteries, fancy split cables, all of the usual stuff.  I ended up removing the LED lights from my computer and getting rid of any wall warts in my listening room that were not completely necessary. I learned quite a bit really and did manage to improve the sound I was getting, but not in the way I had expected.

After all of that, I ended up with just a short .5m USB cable running from my computer to my DAC, and I am getting the best sound from this.

However there are some major caveats to that result, and the biggest one is that my current DAC does not draw 5v from USB and is not affected by USB power conditions, and it has a good XMOS setup. With those DACs I did try that do draw power pretty much anything can happen to affect the sound. So much so I would advise buyers to avoid units that have poorly designed USB interfaces and to challenge manufacturers to not cheap out and use the +5v from USB.

To get to the point here I feel the Wyrd is pretty interesting and may help out some DACs but the hope is that the reference USB designs everyone uses can be improved.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #5,526 of 13,350
I've just gone through a little bit of a personal adventure with an attempt at improving audio over USB. Tried out external USB to S/PDIF converters, IFI iUSB, Batteries, fancy split cables, all of the usual stuff.  I ended up removing the LED lights from my computer and getting rid of any wall warts in my listening room that were not completely necessary. I learned quite a bit really and did manage to improve the sound I was getting, but not in the way I had expected.

After all of that, I ended up with just a short .5m USB cable running from my computer to my DAC, and I am getting the best sound from this.

However there are some major caveats to that result, and the biggest one is that my current DAC does not draw 5v from USB and is not affected by USB power conditions, and it has a good XMOS setup. With those DACs I did try that do draw power pretty much anything can happen to affect the sound. So much so I would advise buyers to avoid units that have poorly designed USB interfaces and to challenge manufacturers to not cheap out and use the +5v from USB.

To get to the point here I feel the Wyrd is pretty interesting and may help out some DACs but the hope is that the reference USB designs everyone uses can be improved.

So you are not using battery or iUSB to accomplish computer 5v avoidance? Asking because I've considered iUSB, but haven't once found a review or feedback attributing specific sonic improvements to its use. A couple times I've asked in Head-Fi and received a "not sure" type answer.

On the other hand, my experience and hundreds of reviews show that USB implementations vary widely in sonic quality, whether built in to a dac or outboard. All one can do is take the time to experiment and listen, as you've done.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #5,527 of 13,350

So you are not using battery or iUSB to accomplish computer 5v avoidance? Asking because I've considered iUSB, but haven't once found a review or feedback attributing specific sonic improvements to its use. A couple times I've asked in Head-Fi and received a "not sure" type answer.

On the other hand, my experience and hundreds of reviews show that USB implementations vary widely in sonic quality, whether built in to a dac or outboard. All one can do is take the time to experiment and listen, as you've done.

My main interest in the Wyrd and devices like the iUSB is that I have found that my tube amp is very sensitive to noise coming from the laptop and USB port. It is sensitive to the point that there is a constant background "buzzing" noise when I have the USB hooked up to my DAC.

The DAC that I use (Yulong DA8) doesn't draw power from the USB 5V, so I tried tricks like putting electrical tape over pins 1 and 4 of the USB cable to cut off the 5V supply. The noise does decrease a significant amount when I do that, but I still do have a noticeable amount of background noise coming through which I found very interesting. I have isolated the issue to the USB because the noise disappears when I disconnect the USB cable from the laptop and use SPDIF coax from my CD-player. I'm thinking that noise from the laptop is still making its way downstream through the data pins in the USB despite the fact that the 5V pins are lifted.

What I have also found interesting is that the noise doesn't come through when I use the integrated solid state amp of the DA8.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #5,528 of 13,350
  My main interest in the Wyrd and devices like the iUSB is that I have found that my tube amp is very sensitive to noise coming from the laptop and USB port. It is sensitive to the point that there is a constant background "buzzing" noise when I have the USB hooked up to my DAC.

This is a ground loop noise. Have you tried plugging your amp/DAC to the same outlet with your PC?

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #5,529 of 13,350
No it's not a ground loop, it happens when my laptop is running on battery too. Isolated the issue because throwing a 2-prong cheater adapter on my DAC didn't fix the issue either.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #5,530 of 13,350
  No it's not a ground loop, it happens when my laptop is running on battery too. Isolated the issue because throwing a 2-prong cheater adapter on my DAC didn't fix the issue either.

That must be real schiitty USB you have there.. have you tried other laptop by any chance?

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #5,531 of 13,350

That must be real schiitty USB you have there.. have you tried other laptop by any chance?

Yeah I'm thinking it's a really noisy USB implementation. It has a nice "feature" that allows me to charge my phone or tablet out of the USB ports even when the laptop is shutdown so it's likely there's extra circuitry of some sort going on. I actually haven't tried another laptop and unfortunately can't at the moment as I am out of town 
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #5,534 of 13,350
+1 for Valhalla

If it is for your Senn HD600 then yes,
for the AKG K702 not sure it's a great combo to pair with an OTL amp (low impedance)

The Lyr 2 could be an option too

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #5,535 of 13,350
More tube-y sounding: Vali, or Valhalla?

had the vali, heard the valhalla, i've heard both side by side, and valhalla all the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back