Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Dec 20, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #2,071 of 2,392
My Lyr is on it's way! Can't wait! I have a question about setup.

I have a NAD C165 preamp and right now my setup is STX->RCA->NAD

If I set up the Lyr:  STX->RCA->NAD->pre-out->Lyr, will it affect the sound quality?

The NAD's pre out is 75 ohms. The other option is having a splitter to connect both, the preamp and the Lyr to the STX.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #2,072 of 2,392
Running out of the NAD's pre out puts another volume pot in the chain.  If you don't have a tape deck hooked up, I'd suggest using the NAD tape out.  This will be a fixed line level out so you can control the volume just at the Lyr. 

I'd love to see Jason make a future generation Lyr that allows the user to select whether the RCA outputs are fixed, bypassing the volume as a pass thru, or variable for use as a preamp. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #2,073 of 2,392

Quote:
Running out of the NAD's pre out puts another volume pot in the chain.  If you don't have a tape deck hooked up, I'd suggest using the NAD tape out.  This will be a fixed line level out so you can control the volume just at the Lyr. 

I'd love to see Jason make a future generation Lyr that allows the user to select whether the RCA outputs are fixed, bypassing the volume as a pass thru, or variable for use as a preamp. 

Thanks leesure! I noticed you have the bifrost in your inventory. How is it? Is it worth the money? I am using the STX as the DAC right now and imho, i couldn't distinguish the STX and the Cambridge audio dacmagic in terms of SQ.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #2,074 of 2,392
I'm not familiar with the STX, but I've been quite happy with the Bifrost. It's very detailed...some say too much so...but that pairs nicely with the warmer Lyr; especially with the Mullard tubes I use. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #2,075 of 2,392

Quote:
i thought the lyr was not a good match with hd800s, lacking in the bass department..

Actually I found the bass response with the Lyr/HD800s one of its biggest attribute. The 6 moons review stated the same....might be the tubes you're running.

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #2,077 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:

I wonder if the Matsu$h1ta tubes would be good with the HD800.

And those are the best tubes for bringing out the bass on the Lyr I've found to date...so if you want MOAR bass, that seems the best way to go.

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #2,078 of 2,392
i'm still waiting for a schiit shipment to reach hong kong so I can buy my Lyr and Bifrost!

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #2,079 of 2,392

Dedicated thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/586931/lyr-faint-staticky-high-pitched-noise-issue#post_7998567

My setup is BiFROST > LYR > LCD-2

Having gotten the Lyr recently, I noticed that when there is no music playing, there is a faint, static-like high-pitched noise in both channels that appears and disappears periodically at around one minute intervals. Sometimes this noise can be heard in the background of quiet tracks. 

I have made sure there are no ground loops, and that the tubes (GE 6BZ7) are seated correctly (I even switched them), and isolated the problem to the Lyr. The noise can be heard without any input on the Lyr as well. 

Has anyone experienced this problem before? I suspect it's bad tubes but it's interesting that it's happening on both channels which point to the Lyr itself.

All comments are welcomed. Aside from this issue, I'm really enjoying this setup. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #2,081 of 2,392
same thing happens to me with the GE tubes, the original JJ stock tubes offer a relatively black background.

I got the GE tubes replaced once, and same issue.  But even with a little noise they add quite a bit of life so I deal with it.

I might go ahead and buy a second set since my warranty on the tubes are already up and the investment is minimal.  See if I get lucky

Quote:

Dedicated thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/586931/lyr-faint-staticky-high-pitched-noise-issue#post_7998567

My setup is BiFROST > LYR > LCD-2

Having gotten the Lyr recently, I noticed that when there is no music playing, there is a faint, static-like high-pitched noise in both channels that appears and disappears periodically at around one minute intervals. Sometimes this noise can be heard in the background of quiet tracks. 

I have made sure there are no ground loops, and that the tubes (GE 6BZ7) are seated correctly (I even switched them), and isolated the problem to the Lyr. The noise can be heard without any input on the Lyr as well. 

Has anyone experienced this problem before? I suspect it's bad tubes but it's interesting that it's happening on both channels which point to the Lyr itself.

All comments are welcomed. Aside from this issue, I'm really enjoying this setup. 

Quote:
Is the Schiit an auto-biasing amp, or do you need to bias it yourself?

What does the manual say about changing the tubes and biasing?

I think its auto biasing.

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #2,082 of 2,392
sorry noob question....and i didnt go thru the 139 pages..
anyone has difficulty pulling out the tubes on the LYR??
whats a good way to get it out..?
i cant get a good hold on the deeply seated tubes.
humphhhfff

deadhorse.gif

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #2,083 of 2,392

Quote:
sorry noob question....and i didnt go thru the 139 pages..
anyone has difficulty pulling out the tubes on the LYR??
whats a good way to get it out..?
i cant get a good hold on the deeply seated tubes.
humphhhfff

deadhorse.gif

There are several ways and Im forgetting most but here are a couple.

1. Buy a set of socket savers from tube monger. Search them in the tube rolling thread or just find them on the tubemonger site. They make the tubes site much higher out of the case of the Lyr.

2. If you notice mail people or just people that sort paper they have these little rubber grips that fit on the tip of their finger. Like a little rubber finger condom. They work well. My wife brought me a pair from her work, not sure where to get them.

3. They have little sock type devices that are rubbery looking to me, never had one though, that fit over the tube and probably have some suction as you pull up and they apparently remove the tubes well. Ive never had one so I dont know much about it, just pics in the tube rolling thread. Lots of ideas over there btw.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #2,084 of 2,392
thanks pseudohippy...
thats a heap of sugguestions, i go find some rubbertubes for my big fingers..thanks a million.
a very blessed NEW YEAR to u and all at home!

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #2,085 of 2,392

Quote:
thanks pseudohippy...
thats a heap of sugguestions, i go find some rubbertubes for my big fingers..thanks a million.
a very blessed NEW YEAR to u and all at home!

No problem, I did do a search for rubber finger tips and yeah, they are cheap and readily available. This tube glove looks cool though http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=072-899&AID=1457538&PID=5567334&SID=skim23608X823435X721ee33ff356bd29bcc81834dff1da0a

The socket saver is the coolest way to go by far. It is nice to see the glowing tubes. They sit a perfect height out of the case. Plenty of pics in the tube rolling thread also.

http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_with_Vibration_Red_B9A_NOVAL_p/novib.htm

Yup, and Happy New Year to you and yours also!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back