Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
May 13, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #976 of 2,392
i have actually tried HD650 with Lyr before i sold it. Not impressed. I am not saying that HD650 is not good, or Lyr is not good. It's just not a good combo, or HD650 doesn't benefit that much from Lyr's power. If you are going to stick with HD650, then Schiit's other amps will probably be better.

May 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #977 of 2,392
Why would I downgrade to their other amps when I already have the Lyr? Every component in my chain contributes to a presentation that I'm mostly happy with at this early stage. I'll eventually look to refine the sound and I suspect this may be achieved through finding tubes that not only has synergy with these cans, but also with the rest of my chain.

May 14, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #978 of 2,392
The stock tubes are quite... bad, to be honest. Changed to the Valhalla tubes and my mind instantly changed. I have zero desire to tube roll after these. I'm 100% satisfied with them, whereas I was somewhat 'meh' about the stock tubes.

May 14, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #979 of 2,392
Higher up the food chain when you set up your whole rig you also have to think about synergy between components. If you're happy with the sound you're getting then that's awesome. He was just saying that he didn't think the synergy between the HD650 and the Lyr was very good. Even though the Valhalla or Asgard may cost less it's not really a downgrade if they have better synergy with the headphone in question. 

Quote:
Why would I downgrade to their other amps when I already have the Lyr? Every component in my chain contributes to a presentation that I'm mostly happy with at this early stage. I'll eventually look to refine the sound and I suspect this may be achieved through finding tubes that not only has synergy with these cans, but also with the rest of my chain.

May 14, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #980 of 2,392
Sorry I wasn't blunt enough for you to understand what I was saying. My point was that blanket statements like the Lyr lacking synergy with the HD650 (or any headphone for that matter) isn't really that helpful, as all components in a chain (dac, amp, cables etc) combine to present what's heard. Personal preference aside, there are too many variables, and unless that person has the exact same gear, configured in the exact same way, such comments are redundant imo.
wink.gif

May 14, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #982 of 2,392

Quote:
i have actually tried HD650 with Lyr before i sold it. Not impressed. I am not saying that HD650 is not good, or Lyr is not good. It's just not a good combo, or HD650 doesn't benefit that much from Lyr's power. If you are going to stick with HD650, then Schiit's other amps will probably be better.

Are you basing this on the stock JJ tubes if so then the 650's only sound OK if you run some other tubes they sound fantastic

May 14, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #983 of 2,392

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't blunt enough for you to understand what I was saying. My point was that blanket statements like the Lyr lacking synergy with the HD650 (or any headphone for that matter) isn't really that helpful, as all components in a chain (dac, amp, cables etc) combine to present what's heard. Personal preference aside, there are too many variables, and unless that person has the exact same gear, configured in the exact same way, such comments are redundant imo.
wink.gif

I second that to many people are so general your source,DAC amp tubes. cables all play into the sound

May 14, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #984 of 2,392
Does anyone have any experience with low impedance dynamics (D5000/ W1000) or is that a bad match for the Lyr?

Thanks

D7000. Not a good combo with the stock tubes. The Valhalla tubes make it worthwhile. Not that I advise using the Lyr with sensitive headphones. It possibly blew my right driver, as well as MacedonianHero's Ed.8. I'm not gonna even gonna try to see if the Lyr was the issue, so I'm sticking to the E9 for my D7000.

In any case, the Lyr hums with all easy to drive headphones that I have used. It's dead silent with my HE-4 however.

May 14, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #985 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with low impedance dynamics (D5000/ W1000) or is that a bad match for the Lyr?

Thanks

D7000. Not a good combo with the stock tubes. The Valhalla tubes make it worthwhile. Not that I advise using the Lyr with sensitive headphones. It possibly blew my right driver, as well as MacedonianHero's Ed.8. I'm not gonna even gonna try to see if the Lyr was the issue, so I'm sticking to the E9 for my D7000.

In any case, the Lyr hums with all easy to drive headphones that I have used. It's dead silent with my HE-4 however.

Wait, you are saying it blew the drivers? That would either be because there was too much current being pumped through them or there is DC on the output. So an Ed. 8 has blown drivers after using it with the Lyr?

May 14, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #986 of 2,392

Quote:
Wait, you are saying it blew the drivers? That would either be because there was too much current being pumped through them or there is DC on the output. So an Ed. 8 has blown drivers after using it with the Lyr?

I have run my Futuresonic M8's with the Lyr and they are 32ohms I get no humm of any kind and it surely didnt blow the drivers sounds like someone has an itchy twitch to turn up the lyr to much

May 14, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #989 of 2,392
I have run my Futuresonic M8's with the Lyr and they are 32ohms I get no humm of any kind and it surely didnt blow the drivers sounds like someone has an itchy twitch to turn up the lyr to much

Actually, no. I've used quite a few headphones, in the very same ways as I used the D7000. The D7000's right driver started crackling and distorting one week after getting the Lyr. MH's ED.8 also had a driver mess up within a week of being used with his Lyr. I sincerely doubt it's a coincidence. I'm not stupid or abusive with my equipment. :rolleyes:

May 14, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #990 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:

Actually, no. I've used quite a few headphones, in the very same ways as I used the D7000. The D7000's right driver started crackling and distorting one week after getting the Lyr. MH's ED.8 also had a driver mess up within a week of being used with his Lyr. I sincerely doubt it's a coincidence. I'm not stupid or abusive with my equipment.
rolleyes.gif

Have you contacted Lyr about this? DC offset could ruin a driver. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back