Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
May 13, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #961 of 2,392
I thought I remembered reading the HE-4 was brought out due to slightly lacking sales of the HE-6; after listening to it, I think it's an absolute steal compared to the price of a lot of mid-fi cans (and sounds better than a lot of them), assuming you have an amp that can drive them properly.  Honestly, given the price and FR of the HE-4, I'm surprised it's not more popular around here.

Quote:
or maybe HifiMan doesn't profit on HE-4 as much as they do on HE-6/HE-500. that's why Fang never actually pushed it very hard. :wink:

May 13, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #962 of 2,392

Quote:
or maybe HifiMan doesn't profit on HE-4 as much as they do on HE-6/HE-500. that's why Fang never actually pushed it very hard. :wink:

Since you have(had) both the HE 4 and HE 6, do you think the HE 4 is a good value? How much does the HE 6 sound better, $700+ dollars worth?

May 13, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #963 of 2,392
yes, i always believe and have said many times that HE-4 is the best bang for the buck headphone within HifiMan's lineup, especially if you purchase the HE-4/EF5 combo. :) it's going to be very difficult to find a better system for just $700 on the market right now. Does HE-6 sound three times better than HE-4 as its price is three times more? NO. Is it worth the upgrade for me? You bet. :) it's always comes down to what's your budget and expectation. It's the nature of hi-end audio. The increase of performance is always only a fraction of the additional money you have to pay.

BUT my opinion might change after i receive my HE-500 next week. :wink:

Quote:
Since you have(had) both the HE 4 and HE 6, do you think the HE 4 is a good value? How much does the HE 6 sound better, $700+ dollars worth?

May 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #964 of 2,392

Quote:
yes, i always believe and have said many times that HE-4 is the best bang for the buck headphone within HifiMan's lineup, especially if you purchase the HE-4/EF5 combo. :) it's going to be very difficult to find a better system for just $700 on the market right now. Does HE-6 sound three times better than HE-4 as its price is three times more? NO. Is it worth the upgrade for me? You bet. :) it's always comes down to what's your budget and expectation. It's the nature of hi-end audio. The increase of performance is always only a fraction of the additional money you have to pay.

BUT my opinion might change after i receive my HE-500 next week. :wink:

Thanks for the input. Sorry if you said that before a bunch there is just so many posts and info on here I sometimes can't keep track of what i read anymore. Yes please keep us updated with your thoughts. My Lyr is coming tomorrow and now I'm in search of which ortho to pair it with.

May 13, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #965 of 2,392
I think that the HE-500, which just appeared on the Head-Direct website, will be HiFiMAN's best offering yet for the Lyr or the EF5.

May 13, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #967 of 2,392
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Lee, I tried my 5LEs with a Sony receiver I had lying around and it's doing just as good a job driving the 5LEs as your Lyr did.  I actually think it sounds better as the Lyr is a bit warmer and imparted than on every track.  The Lyr had more power to spare and I'm sure I'd get more out of the receiver if I used speaker taps but I'll probably just pick up a vintage receiver instead.  Power output should be more than enough.

Just wanted to follow up on this post..

So my Sony STR-D715 does  great job with the 5LEs from the HPO.  As I mentioned in that last post, I did manage to chase down a vintage Pioneer receiver.  It has gobs of power as well.  What's lacking in comparison to my somewhat modern (1995) Sony receiver and the Schiit Lyr is extension and tact to the soundstage, some 3-blob going on.  It's also a little harsh sounding, probably just needs a recap.  

Tough deciding whether to speaker tap my 5LEs from my Sony or buy a Lyr and call it a day.  I don't think I want to hunt down another vintage or deal with the hassle of recapping.  =/

May 13, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #968 of 2,392
The other advantage with the Lyr is size. 

May 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #970 of 2,392
Smaller than people would possibly believe it'd be considering it's power.

Also

HE4: $450
HE500: $900
HE6: $1000+

They BETTER be worth that staggering price increase over the HE-4, lol. Unfortunately, that's too rich for my blood. Ignorance is bliss. Besides, the HE-4 is my backup to the D7000 anyway. I'm moving on to different hobbies now. :)

May 13, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #971 of 2,392
You could try a lot of different amps with a speaker tap adapter, I recommend investing in one.

May 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #972 of 2,392
Quote:
Smaller than people would possibly believe it'd be considering it's power.

Also

HE4: $450
HE500: $900
HE6: $1000+

They BETTER be worth that staggering price increase over the HE-4, lol. Unfortunately, that's too rich for my blood. Ignorance is bliss. Besides, the HE-4 is my backup to the D7000 anyway. I'm moving on to different hobbies now.
smily_headphones1.gif

What about the 5LEs?  $500 used right now.  If one seeks the reference-type tonal balance the 500s or 6 provide, it's only $100 or so away in the 5LEs.  They're even less known and more bang for buck (if you like reference type sound) than the 4s.

May 13, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #973 of 2,392
Made a conscious effort to lower expectations prior to receiving the Lyr. I've been generally very happy with the HD650 through the Audio-GD Fun's amp section, but wanted a bit more zest and musicality. I only have stock tubes at the moment (unfortunately getting a faint but continuous static from one of tubes
mad.gif
), but initial impressions are good.

I suspected the Fun's discrete amp to be very good in the first place (for a budget combo) and the Lyr strengthens that belief. The Fun is certainly more transparent, but where the Lyr has my preference is in the separation, body and slam it conveys. It's a musical, toe-tapping presentation, making the Fun sound somewhat clinical in comparison. It's not a night and day difference that makes the Fun's headphone amp redundant, but I'm quite pleased with the Lyr. There's room for improvement that I suspect may be found through synergy with the right tubes.

May 13, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #975 of 2,392
Made a conscious effort to lower expectations prior to receiving the Lyr. I've been generally very happy with the HD650 through the Audio-GD Fun's amp section, but wanted a bit more zest and musicality. I only have stock tubes at the moment (unfortunately getting a faint but continuous static from one of tubes
mad.gif
), but initial impressions are good.

I suspected the Fun's discrete amp to be very good in the first place (for a budget combo) and the Lyr strengthens that belief. The Fun is certainly more transparent, but where the Lyr has my preference is in the separation, body and slam it conveys. It's a musical, toe-tapping presentation, making the Fun sound somewhat clinical in comparison. It's not a night and day difference that makes the Fun's headphone amp redundant, but I'm quite pleased with the Lyr. There's room for improvement that I suspect may be found through synergy with the right tubes.

Once you get those crummy JJ's out of the Lyr the HD650's will really sound good.. I would suggest the 6N23p's for the HD650's might want to visit the tube rolling forum for the Lyr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back