Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
May 14, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #991 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:
I have run my Futuresonic M8's with the Lyr and they are 32ohms I get no humm of any kind and it surely didnt blow the drivers sounds like someone has an itchy twitch to turn up the lyr to much

Actually, no. I've used quite a few headphones, in the very same ways as I used the D7000. The D7000's right driver started crackling and distorting one week after getting the Lyr. MH's ED.8 also had a driver mess up within a week of being used with his Lyr. I sincerely doubt it's a coincidence. I'm not stupid or abusive with my equipment.
rolleyes.gif

well you have had issues that that many have not as Jamato8 said you probably have some bad power which seems to be a common issue with complaints about the Lyr I have even tested 16 ohm cheapies and they still dont blow or hum

May 14, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #992 of 2,392
Nah. I got my D7000 fixed and decided to just not use them on the Lyr. Besides, I don't like the noise the D7000 has through the Lyr, and prefer it with the absolutely dead silent E9. If the Lyr ruins one of my other headphones, then I'll contact Schiit. As it stands, I don't have enough evidence to point my finger at the Lyr, though I'm pretty sure its what did my D7000 in. Only once did I leave the D7000 plugged in when turning off the Lyr, and the sound scared me enough not to do it again with any of my cans. My D7000 worked for days after that.

May 14, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #993 of 2,392
So with the Lyr there is a DC offset when you turn it off and on and you aren't supposed to have your phones plugged in when turning off or on? 

May 14, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #997 of 2,392
Well like I mentioned before, I left my D7000 plugged in once while turning off the Lyr, and it made an abrupt thump loud enough to scare the jeebez outta me. From then on, I don't have any headphone plugged in when turning the Lyr ON/OFF. It didn't sound natural, that's for sure.

May 14, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #998 of 2,392

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with low impedance dynamics (D5000/ W1000) or is that a bad match for the Lyr?

Thanks

I've tried W1000X and didn't think it improved significantly compared to a Heed Canamp and headphone out of a Benchmark DAC1 or Little Dot MK II at least, it sounds pretty much just as great on all those amps. I used the Benchmark as DAC during all these tests. I also got a faint hum that was noticable when no music was playing, though this seems not to be the case with all W1000X+Lyr owners as stated earlier in this thread.

May 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #999 of 2,392
sorry, didn't realize that you have already bought the Lyr. If you are happy about it, then that's all it matters. :) i was just simply telling you guys my experience with Lyr and HD650. I think that even Jason himself at some point said that his other amps are probably better with headphones like HD650.

Quote:
Why would I downgrade to their other amps when I already have the Lyr? Every component in my chain contributes to a presentation that I'm mostly happy with at this early stage. I'll eventually look to refine the sound and I suspect this may be achieved through finding tubes that not only has synergy with these cans, but also with the rest of my chain.

May 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #1,000 of 2,392
The Lyr blew out my Edition 8 drivers as well, that's one of the reasons why I returned it. As Schiit warns on their webpage, they won't be responsible if you blow up your headphones; that's what Jason effectively told Peter (MH) and myself in response. Luckily mine were still under warranty as well, as are all Edition 8s at this point as they were released in July 2009 with 2-year coverage in the US.

Obviously both Ultrasone and Schiit should post some disclaimers and warnings about this particular pairing; I sincerely hope the D7000 is an isolated issue. I did not turn my Ed8 up to a loud level at all, and it was with NOS Amperex gold pin 6922s which are fine tubes. The Lyr is a bad choice for low impedance, high sensitivity dynamics, and after this experience I don't even want my Ed8 in the same building as a Lyr.

It is certain that as time marches on there will be more to this story 
frown.gif

May 14, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #1,001 of 2,392

Quote:
The Lyr blew out my Edition 8 drivers as well, that's one of the reasons why I returned it. As Schiit warns on their webpage, they won't be responsible if you blow up your headphones; that's what Jason effectively told Peter (MH) and myself in response. Luckily mine were still under warranty as well, as are all Edition 8s at this point as they were released in July 2009 with 2-year coverage in the US.

Obviously both Ultrasone and Schiit should post some disclaimers and warnings about this particular pairing; I sincerely hope the D7000 is an isolated issue. I did not turn my ED8 up to a loud level at all, and it was with NOS Amperex gold pin 6922s which are fine tubes.

It is certain that as time marches on there will be more to this story 
frown.gif

Dude what did you do turn the knob tot the 12:00 positiion... I have ultrasone 700's and have used them on the lyr alot lately and I didn't blow them up

May 14, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #1,002 of 2,392

Quote:
Dude what did you do turn the knob tot the 12:00 positiion... I have ultrasone 700's and have used them on the lyr alot lately and I didn't blow them up

Did you even read what you just quoted? I already said that I never turned them up to a loud level. So please don't take this personally, it's a warning for the good of the community. The Lyr was great with my K701 and as a preamp but it's not for everything. If you are trying to say that it's MH and my own fault you are wrong plain and simple, we both know what we are doing and your off-the-cuff reaction is not only condescending but incredibly ill-informed. The 700 is not the same as the Ed8 but good luck with it anyways.

May 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #1,003 of 2,392
So that's two blown Ed. 8s, and one D7000. Can't be mere coincidence. I'm just saying, I personally wouldn't risk running sensitive cans off the Lyr after all this. Just for the peace of mind. I have been daring enough to use my D7000 at pretty quiet levels to test out the Valhalla tubes, but that was very quickly... I got too scared to try it again. My Lyr is gonna be just for my HE-4 and KSC75 (because they're cheap enough and actually benefit from some warmth and power). I don't plan on buying any more headphonesa for a long time... but if I do, its definitely gonna be ones that require some serious Lyr juice. 600ohms, or low sensitivity cans...

May 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #1,004 of 2,392
FWIW, I have run my Grado's off the Lyr with no issues.  It's not all low impedance high sensitivity headphones.

Just curious, was there an action associated with the blowing of the drivers?  Turning it on/off?  High dynamic music?  Not accusing, just trying to identify the commonalities.

May 14, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #1,005 of 2,392
I did turn the Lyr off with the Ed8 plugged into it, after the source has been turned off as I would with any amp. The tubes were in their break-in period, that's the only possible issue I can think of. My musical choice really shouldn't matter but it was probably some well-recorded Cowboy Junkies, as there are a few songs of theirs that I like to use when evaluating headphones and/or amps for the first time. For some reason, I'm not surprised that Grados are (probably) more resilient. The Ed8 is incredibly efficient for the sound that it puts out, it's known for it's ability to give top performance from an iPod even though it will still improve with a good amplifier so that may have something to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back