Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
May 10, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #946 of 2,392
Quote:
OK, I've had the Lyr for a month now and listened quite a bit.  I have NOT tube rolled at all yet, so all comments are based upon the stock setup.

I think the Lyr is a KILLER amp for driving orthos...but not as much for the LCD-2's specifically.  This may change with tube rolling, but in the stock configuration, I find the amp from the mid-bass on up to be too think sounding with the already slightly dark LCD-2's.  This was initially devastating to me.  I had hoped this would be the perfect office setup for the LCD's while processing photos (6-8 hour marathon sessions are not uncommon). 

However, about a week or so ago, the answer literally showed up on my doorstep.  I was hosting a mini-meet and Fang from HifiMan sent his new HE-500's and HE-4's to have at the meet. 

The HE-4's, with their slightly bright overall tonal balance sound FUGGIN'AMAZING with the Lyr.  They are almost as inefficient as their bigger brothers so the 6W are welcome and the warmth of the Lyr tones down the brightness of the HE-4 and makes this combo stunning.  The sparkle is great, the bass slam is palpable and the mids are spot on. 

I'm listening to some Tchaikovsky on the set up right now and the dynamics are great.  I heard the Philadelphia Orchestra perform the same piece a few nights ago and this is a very fair representation of the live music...the highest praise I can offer.

The Lyr has gone from a disappointment to an absolute Godsend.

I know another Head-Fi'er who heard the HS-5LE's with my Lyr at the meet and bought both. 

Now...anyone got some tube reccomendations for the LCD-2's??

Yup, the Lyr was as good as any amp I paired the 5LEs with at the meet, and there was serious competition there.  I think this has to do with an inherent limitation in resolution of the 5LEs and HE4s, the Lyr with it's gobs of power is just what's neeed.  The LCD2s on the other hand respond really well to power as well as quality and scale up accordingly with the higher end amps, the 5LEs, less so.  Soundstaging was a bit better when I tried it with a Beta22 but not too much to miss.  

Lee, it completely slipped my mind that the 5LEs have a 4-pin termination and that I could have tried it on your Isabellina.  Next time!  =]

Quote:
So I guess you tried both the HE 500 and the HE-4 off of your Lyr? If so, were the HE 500's better sounding than the HE-4's, or was it just that the HE-4 seemed to have better overall pairing with the Lyr?

To me, the 500s are better sounding than the HE-4s, and not just because I prefer the neutral/warmish signature of the 500s over the V-shaped signature of the 4s, the 4s just don't resolve as much detail as the 500s or LCD2s.

May 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #947 of 2,392

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's just that I had higher expectations fr the HE-500 or if it's he synnergy, but I preferred the HE-4/Lyr combo to even the HE-500/Woo 6SE combo.

I'll sit down with both the HE-500 and HE-4 with the Lyr later to try to clarify that.

As promised, I've been sitting here for about an hour comparing the HE-4's, HE-500's & to a lesser degree the LCD-2's through the Schiit Lyr (a better match for the HE's IMO).

Let me start by saying I think they are all terrific headphones. 

The HE-4's are more aggressive.  That is, they are more forward and in-the-head than the HE-500's.  They are also the brighter of the two.  Cymbals are more up front and in your face.  The base is solid and strong on the 4's, while it's a little less evident, but extends deeper and with slightly more detail with the 500's.  The mid range is warmer on the HE-500's, but that's not to say they were very cold on the 4's.  The soundstage is where the 500's really start to pull away.  There is more 3-dimensionality with the 500's. 

When listening to Brothers Under the Bridge from The Cowboy Junkies Early 21st Century Blues, the subtle snare drum in the bridge is clearly placed well behind the other artists in its own space, while the HE-4's place it more up front.  The vocals were warmer on the 500's as well, but again not so much as to preclude the 4's.  The cymbal also tended to ring with the HE-500's while the 4's rendered them without the lingering decay.

Mustang Sally from The Commitments Soundtrack showed that already-bright recordings suffer with the HE-4's...that track left me feeling fatigued with the HE-4's while the 500's were less aggressive up top and the added warmth in the mids and upper bass gave greater muscle to the male vocals.  There was definitely a better top-to-bottom rightness to the 500's on this driving blues rock.  This track has layer upon layer of instruments and the HE-500's did a great job of keeping that from becoming to congested.  Both cans featured very punchy dynamics and comfortably reproduced the demanding drum passages when driven by the powerful Lyr.  Try a Little Tenderness from the same album showed that both can be subtle as well...but the 500's moreso.  Again they were able to render a deep and accurate soundstage better than the HE-4's.

Switching to Classical, Hillary Hahn's very forward interpretation of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D shows the greater width of the HE-500's soundstage as well as the warmer tones.  However, this piece also showcased the LCD-2's strengths.  When I slipped them in, they did an equal job handling Ms. Hahn's virtuosic solos, but they outshined both the HE's when it came to the tonality and gravitas of the orchestral sections.  The HE's did both comfortably beat the LCD-2's in soundstage width, tho. 

In the end, I will be keeping my LCD-2's as my primary reference listening headphones.  I will also be keeping the HE-4's, not because they are better than the HE-500's...that are not.  Simply because I think they represent a better value in my system for what I will be using them for...background music while working. I have trouble justifying the additional $450 when I am unlikely to notice the difference in soundstage when I'm focused on a task.

The HE-500's are a very good headphone and mate well with the Lyr.  They best the LCD-2's in soundstage width and depth.  They best the HE-4's in top to bottom timbre and tone as well as detail resolution and retrieval.  They are easier to drive than the others in the HE lineup. I regret not having the HE-6 here to add to this review, but I can say comfortably that if you like the HifiMan house sound, you will like these headphones and you won't have to drive them with a speaker amp.

May 11, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #949 of 2,392
Quote:
As promised, I've been sitting here for about an hour comparing the HE-4's, HE-500's & to a lesser degree the LCD-2's through the Schiit Lyr (a better match for the HE's IMO).

Let me start by saying I think they are all terrific headphones. 

The HE-4's are more aggressive.  That is, they are more forward and in-the-head than the HE-500's.  They are also the brighter of the two.  Cymbals are more up front and in your face.  The base is solid and strong on the 4's, while it's a little less evident, but extends deeper and with slightly more detail with the 500's.  The mid range is warmer on the HE-500's, but that's not to say they were very cold on the 4's.  The soundstage is where the 500's really start to pull away.  There is more 3-dimensionality with the 500's. 

When listening to Brothers Under the Bridge from The Cowboy Junkies Early 21st Century Blues, the subtle snare drum in the bridge is clearly placed well behind the other artists in its own space, while the HE-4's place it more up front.  The vocals were warmer on the 500's as well, but again not so much as to preclude the 4's.  The cymbal also tended to ring with the HE-500's while the 4's rendered them without the lingering decay.

Mustang Sally from The Commitments Soundtrack showed that already-bright recordings suffer with the HE-4's...that track left me feeling fatigued with the HE-4's while the 500's were less aggressive up top and the added warmth in the mids and upper bass gave greater muscle to the male vocals.  There was definitely a better top-to-bottom rightness to the 500's on this driving blues rock.  This track has layer upon layer of instruments and the HE-500's did a great job of keeping that from becoming to congested.  Both cans featured very punchy dynamics and comfortably reproduced the demanding drum passages when driven by the powerful Lyr.  Try a Little Tenderness from the same album showed that both can be subtle as well...but the 500's moreso.  Again they were able to render a deep and accurate soundstage better than the HE-4's.

Switching to Classical, Hillary Hahn's very forward interpretation of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D shows the greater width of the HE-500's soundstage as well as the warmer tones.  However, this piece also showcased the LCD-2's strengths.  When I slipped them in, they did an equal job handling Ms. Hahn's virtuosic solos, but they outshined both the HE's when it came to the tonality and gravitas of the orchestral sections.  The HE's did both comfortably beat the LCD-2's in soundstage width, tho. 

In the end, I will be keeping my LCD-2's as my primary reference listening headphones.  I will also be keeping the HE-4's, not because they are better than the HE-500's...that are not.  Simply because I think they represent a better value in my system for what I will be using them for...background music while working. I have trouble justifying the additional $450 when I am unlikely to notice the difference in soundstage when I'm focused on a task.

The HE-500's are a very good headphone and mate well with the Lyr.  They best the LCD-2's in soundstage width and depth.  They best the HE-4's in top to bottom timbre and tone as well as detail resolution and retrieval.  They are easier to drive than the others in the HE lineup. I regret not having the HE-6 here to add to this review, but I can say comfortably that if you like the HifiMan house sound, you will like these headphones and you won't have to drive them with a speaker amp.

Hey Lee, I tried my 5LEs with a Sony receiver I had lying around and it's doing just as good a job driving the 5LEs as your Lyr did.  I actually think it sounds better as the Lyr is a bit warmer and imparted than on every track.  The Lyr had more power to spare and I'm sure I'd get more out of the receiver if I used speaker taps but I'll probably just pick up a vintage receiver instead.  Power output should be more than enough.

Good comparison!  

You should try the 5LEs, going back and forth between them and the HE4s on your Lyr this past weekend I definitely preferred the 5LEs for it's tonal balance, they were also less fatiguing.

May 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #950 of 2,392
Thanks, but I'm digging the Lyr/HE-4 combo right now.  I think I'll stick with it for a while.  Fang made me a nice deal to keep from having to ship back the 4's. 

May 11, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #951 of 2,392
Quote:
Thanks, but I'm digging the Lyr/HE-4 combo right now.  I think I'll stick with it for a while.  Fang made me a nice deal to keep from having to ship back the 4's. 

What tube are you using with the Lyr? Since the Lyr seems to really change with tube choice, which is a good thing in my opinion, the warmth or lack of in the sound can be greatly affected. 

I should have mine the early part of next week. I will stick the tubes in the oven and get them warmed up. :^)

Actually some people do heat old tubes before using them in an oven. This activates the getter, which absorbs excess gas in the tube. I haven't done that but I have used my tube tester to have the heater of the tube going, which heats the tube and helps to activate the silver getter to do what it is supposed to do. 

May 11, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #952 of 2,392
Quote:
What tube are you using with the Lyr? Since the Lyr seems to really change with tube choice, which is a good thing in my opinion, the warmth or lack of in the sound can be greatly affected. 

I should have mine the early part of next week. I will stick the tubes in the oven and get them warmed up. :^)

Actually some people do heat old tubes before using them in an oven. This activates the getter, which absorbs excess gas in the tube. I haven't done that but I have used my tube tester to have the heater of the tube going, which heats the tube and helps to activate the silver getter to do what it is supposed to do. 

I am curious as well what tube you are using in the Lyr as it is very sensitive to tube rolling?

May 11, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #953 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am curious as well what tube you are using in the Lyr as it is very sensitive to tube rolling?

That's supposed to have been done at the factory.

May 11, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #954 of 2,392
I'm using just the stock tubes at present.

May 11, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #955 of 2,392

Quote:
That's supposed to have been done at the factory.

I am referring to old tubes. NOS that have sat for years. They will take up gas molecules and that is where the getter comes in. 

May 12, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #956 of 2,392

Quote:
I am referring to old tubes. NOS that have sat for years. They will take up gas molecules and that is where the getter comes in. 

Ok, makes sense.  Thx.

May 12, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #957 of 2,392
Hey all,

Sorry to be scarce. Finishing up a bunch of work on another product.

Just a quick note: we're shipping Lyrs again (since the 10th), so if you have been waiting a while, you're probably only a day or so away from shipping. For newer orders, we're running a continuous 4th run starting next week, so we will *finally* be in a stocking position before the end of the month.

Best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 12, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #958 of 2,392
Thanks Jason...any news on the DAC(s)??

May 13, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #959 of 2,392
Yeah if you can do that for us that would be greatly appreciated. I had been interested in the HE 500 especially after much high praise and pretty bold review of it over at headfonia, but for $900 I'd rather take my chances with the LCD 2, and maybe look at at the HE 4 as an open option. It seems the HE 500's main selling point is being able to be driven a lot easier than others, which gives people more options for amping. But in my situation getting the Lyr, I really don't care how easy it is to drive just rather get a solid ortho without breaking the bank. I figured the HE 4 would be a great option, but it seems to not get as much popularity on here as I thought it would.

That's because the HE-4 is overlooked due it being released at the same time as the HE6, and now the HE500 stealing its thunder. I have a strong reason to believe the HE-4 would be quite popular if more people had a chance to hear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back