Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
May 21, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #1,216 of 2,392
I can say of all the amps I've heard my two orthos with, the Lyr is the "best headphone amp" to date. Using a pigtail adapter and my Pioneer Elite home theater receiver (120 W into 8 ohms) really yields too much of a noise floor with the LCD-2s. It is darn good with my HE-6s.

But with my "headphone setup" - Marantz CD player - Cary XCiter DAC- Lyr, both the LCD-2s and HE-6s sound incredible. I think Schiit made a mistake pricing it at this range as it appears some might not be taking it seriously. But as dedicated ortho headphone amps go, this puppy puts a brilliant 4 W into 50 ohms and I am extremely satisfied. I slightly prefer the Lyr (with Genalex Gold Lions) over my WA2 (with tricked out tubes) and the price difference is more than 2 to 1.

For those who are worried that the LCD-2s can come off a bit dark, what I've found is through either my home theater receiver and my Lyr, is when you properly power them, the treble really comes out and anymore would be too much IMO (along with improved sound staging). The HE-6s are a great match too for the Lyr.

Now with my 2 high impedance headphones (T1 and HD800s), I do prefer my WA2 be a reasonable margin as it is a better match for them. As Mike Holmes says...."the right tool for the right job". :smile:

May 21, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #1,217 of 2,392
For the plebs on the outer, there seems to be some prestige associated with the big ticket items. I don't doubt these sound wonderful and I'll readily confess my envy, but when a seemingly bang for buck proposition enters the arena around these parts there's of course a natural tendency to pit it against goliaths in heavier weight divisions. This should be seen as a great compliment and should be highlighted at every opportunity. It's a strange situation if the Lyr's accessible price is actually acting as a deterrent for some.

May 21, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #1,218 of 2,392
For the plebs on the outer, there seems to be some prestige associated with the big ticket items. I don't doubt these sound wonderful and I'll readily confess my envy, but when a seemingly bang for buck proposition enters the arena around these parts there's of course a natural tendency to pit it against goliaths in heavier weight divisions. This should be seen as a great compliment and should be highlighted at every opportunity. It's a strange situation if the Lyr's accessible price is actually acting as a deterrent for some.

Agreed. I don't get it either. The right tool for the right job, and for a dedicated headphone amp, it is the best tool to drive orthos IMO. Now speaker amps/receivers can be another solution. But as far as dedicated headphone amps currently released, none that I know of can drive them with the Lyr's authority. As I've mentioned, my WA2 (with upgraded tubes runs about $1400), but with both my orthos, the Lyr is the better solution (at $550 with upgraded tubes).

May 21, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #1,219 of 2,392
Quote:
... I think Schiit made a mistake pricing it at this range as it appears some might not be taking it seriously ...

I don't necessarily agree it was a mistake ...
wink.gif
... but I know exactly what you mean.  This supports my earlier post that there is not always a direct correlation between cost and sound quality.  Just because a manufacturer is able to produce something more affordably through smart design and/or higher volumes than other manufacturers doesn't mean the amp doesn't sound as good as amps perhaps produced in a less efficient manner and are thus more costly.

May 21, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #1,220 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. I don't get it either. The right tool for the right job, and for a dedicated headphone amp, it is the best tool to drive orthos IMO. Now speaker amps/receivers can be another solution. But as far as dedicated headphone amps currently released, none that I know of can drive them with the Lyr's authority. As I've mentioned, my WA2 (with upgraded tubes runs about $1400), but with both my orthos, the Lyr is the better solution (at $550 with upgraded tubes).

You take the Lyr over your Meier Audio Concerto?

May 21, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,222 of 2,392

Quote:

X2, that pretty much mirrors my experience comparing the LCD-2 out of the Lyr and the WA22. This is why I think the best match for the Lyr could be the K701, because the LCD-2 is capable of more resolution so it scales up better with higher-quality amplification, where the K701 likes the slam of the Lyr but doesn't benefit as much from the additional resolution of a WA22.

As I said, the comments about resolution and soundstage are specifically about the Lyr AND JJ tubes.  The 6BQ7s I have in now are initially a nice improvement.  FWIW, I do think the Lyr can be a nice match for the LCD's

May 21, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #1,223 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:

x2

Nice.  I'm looking forward to both comparisons.  For consistency, you could use the HE-500s which do quite well with both those amps, as opposed to the less efficient LCD2s.  That'll even the field some for the 6SE.

I too didn't notice anything lacking in the midrange when I tried the Lyr.

The LCD-2's are still more efficient than the HE-500's

May 22, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #1,224 of 2,392
I don't think there's a dedicated head-amp around that does what this thing does at the price it does it.  But I've heard some top of the line stuff, even if just briefly, and I can say that there's a lot more between the Lyr and those systems than just price.  They're better.  Even with orthos.

I think Lee's comparison with the Isabellina's DAC out to the Lyr vs. the built in headphone out will be an asset to this thread.  We've had a lot of hyping regarding this thing's price and power output, and deservedly so, but we do need to assess it as an amp at the end of the day.

I think Grokit was right on the money about that resolution comment, matches what I heard.

It's a shame Skylab didn't review this thing, his perspective, given all the gear he's heard, would've been pretty useful.

Quote:
The LCD-2's are still more efficient than the HE-500's

I hadn't figured.  I remember not enjoying the LCD2s out of the 6SE as much as I did off the Lyr.  With the HE-500s, I really liked it with both the 6SE and the Lyr.  Maybe a sensitivity thing?  Too many changing variables to count on those impressions though, so I'm lookin' forward to your comparison.

Quote:

Now this 6WPC has been sufficiently shouted about 'round here but as olor1n brought up earlier in this thread the Audio-GD C2-SA (now discontinued) put out a nice 6Ws @ 50ohms.  I guess my point is that there are some other head amps out there that put out orthodynamic power.

May 22, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #1,225 of 2,392
With the HE-6 the Lyr was lacking in both resolution and dynamics, as the HE-6 likes more juice than the Lyr can deliver. At least with my 2-volt source, from reports that I have read things improve considerably with just a jump to a 2.5 volt source.

Now this is a meaty topic. I had wondered about micro detail and space when I first got the Lyr too. In truth, I thought that there was no way that a $450 amp could run with the big boys. But when I hooked the Lyr up to a bryston music server and DAC playing 24/192 music into my HE6 then it all picked up to be one of the best sounds I have ever heard.

I do agree though that the HE6 can eat everything that the Lyr can give and still be left hungry for more. Even a higher than 2v source doesn't fix that.

May 22, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #1,226 of 2,392

Quote:
On detail, to be honest, I wouldn't want any more in both the micro or macro. 

How do you know if you haven't heard it yet?  
tongue.gif
wink.gif

May 22, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #1,227 of 2,392

Quote:
How do you know if you haven't heard it yet?  
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Well we never know with absolute certainty but I have heard plenty of live music and it is rare that I hear the detail I hear with most home systems, be it speaker or headphones. The reason I believe we strive so hard to get all the detail and information possible is to overcome the fact that it is recorded music and by maxing out our senses, we come as close as we can to that allusion but rarely going over the threshold to the real event. 

The same is true with images. There is 3D but still not quite there but so much fun. So in 2D sometimes it is almost there but not quite but is it the image or the impression it is real or the music for music's sake or sound? I know I would like it all, just like most here. 

I think the Lyr is a fair price with build quality and sound exceeded what you might expect for the price but I think Schiit just happens to be giving you an honest price. 

Here is an image that has clarity that I shot the other day. It is almost there on one level but maybe not on another. 

May 22, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #1,228 of 2,392

Quote:
I don't think there's a dedicated head-amp around that does what this thing does at the price it does it.  But I've heard some top of the line stuff, even if just briefly, and I can say that there's a lot more between the Lyr and those systems than just price.  They're better.  Even with orthos.

I think Lee's comparison with the Isabellina's DAC out to the Lyr vs. the built in headphone out will be an asset to this thread.  We've had a lot of hyping regarding this thing's price and power output, and deservedly so, but we do need to assess it as an amp at the end of the day.

I think Grokit was right on the money about that resolution comment, matches what I heard.

It's a shame Skylab didn't review this thing, his perspective, given all the gear he's heard, would've been pretty useful.

Quote:

I hadn't figured.  I remember not enjoying the LCD2s out of the 6SE as much as I did off the Lyr.  With the HE-500s, I really liked it with both the 6SE and the Lyr.  Maybe a sensitivity thing?  Too many changing variables to count on those impressions though, so I'm lookin' forward to your comparison.

Quote:

Now this 6WPC has been sufficiently shouted about 'round here but as olor1n brought up earlier in this thread the Audio-GD C2-SA (now discontinued) put out a nice 6Ws @ 50ohms.  Their NFB-10WM puts out 4Ws at 100ohms (something like 8Ws at 50 and 12.5Ws at 32).  I guess my point is that there are some other head amps out there that put out orthodynamic power.

Not sure where you got your numbers, but the NFB-10 has the following ratings, which would give it about 2WPC at 50 ohms.  Still not a bad rating, but a lot more realistic than what you seemed to find:

1. Output Level:
  2. Headphone output: 21V RMS (balance)
  3. Variable output: 12V RMS (balance, volume max)
  4. Fixed output: 5V RMS (balance)
  5. Fixed output: 2.5V RMS (RCA)
  6. Output power (only for headphone):
  7. 4W / 100 ohm
  8. 700mW / 600 ohm

May 22, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #1,229 of 2,392
Quote:
Not sure where you got your numbers, but the NFB-10 has the following ratings, which would give it about 2WPC at 50 ohms.  Still not a bad rating, but a lot more realistic than what you seemed to find:

Ok, that makes a lot more sense.  I guess I'd fudged up the formula.  My mistake.

The C2SA though, does put out 6Ws at 50 ohms.

May 22, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #1,230 of 2,392
You take the Lyr over your Meier Audio Concerto?

Totally depends on the headphone you're planning on plugging in. For low impedance/efficient dynamic headphones, the Concerto no doubt. For orthos....the Lyr.

Quote:

Mind if I drop you a PM?  I'm looking for a DAC and I don't want to derail the thread.  I'm going to Cary, NC on Tuesday, so it'd be a good time to find out more about it.

Sure, I might take a bit getting back to you....long weekend here in Canada (Victoria Day...otherwise known as the May 2-4 weekend).

In Canada 2-4 = case of beer (24 bottles of beer). :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back