Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Aug 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #1,953 of 2,392
Aug 31, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #1,955 of 2,392
Mine landed up here on the North Pole today.
Everything looks fantastic, from packing, assembly, to finish on the chassis.

Burning it in, digesting it, loving it so far.

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #1,956 of 2,392
There's definitely a WOW! moment the first few hours of listening through the Lyr. Enjoy!

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #1,958 of 2,392

A few days ago I promised rrahman a few quick comparisons of Meier Concerto and Schiit Lyr with the Beyerdynamic T1. Below is a quick impression  from the first comparison. As this is OT, any further reports I will conduct via PM.

Source was MiniMac-iTunes with bitperfect, WAV encoding. Tracks were two, both from Thomas Diethelm the innovative Swiss guitarist. Album is Shaved (1981), tracks: Theresa & Plants in my head. I spent some time equalising levels, but note this was by ear.

(Concerto) good bass definition, great growl, rasp and bite to bass guitar. Lots of well-balanced upper-mid and treble - nice sparkle, not overstated, harsh or sibilant. In the second track the low-level 'vocal' stands out well.

(Lyr - stock 6BZ7) similar comments apply, but there is noticeably more mid-energy giving a deeper tonality or a sense of hearing more deeply into the notes here. Possibly for this reason, the vocal mentioned above stands out less well. Perceived balance is altered, so that upper bass and treble seem comparatively - but only subtly - understated.

(Overall) The Concerto was sweeter and lighter whilst portraying the full sonic palette in a natural, unforced way. The Lyr had the very slightly fuller mid-range. Indeed, I find the Lyr very much at home with electric blues and blues metal.

Extremely enjoyable with both amps, I nevertheless found the T1 and Concerto to have greater synergy with these two tracks. Both seemed to "blossom" with this amp. With other material - e.g. blues rock - I suspect the decision will go to the Lyr.

Quote:
Thanks, eager to hear your impressions.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #1,961 of 2,392

Quote:
That is generally typical of tubes, to introduce harmonics from touches/taps.

From what I have read here, and my own experience... is a feature of tubes, so you can sing AND listen to music at the same time, included microphone :p

haha nah...

Seems all tubes have microphonic features, so if you tap in the tube or lyr, you will hear it.

Some tubes are more micrphonic than others. In my case, if i'm listening to music is not bad at all, only when is dead silentu

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #1,962 of 2,392
I only hear the tap in my left channel though, nothing from the right.  Is that normal?

Quote:
From what I have read here, and my own experience... is a feature of tubes, so you can sing AND listen to music at the same time, included microphone :p

haha nah...

Seems all tubes have microphonic features, so if you tap in the tube or lyr, you will hear it.

Some tubes are more micrphonic than others. In my case, if i'm listening to music is not bad at all, only when is dead silentu

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,963 of 2,392

Quote:
I only hear the tap in my left channel though, nothing from the right.  Is that normal?

I think what is not normal is the fact that you are tapping your amp instead of using it to drive your headphones as it was made for in the first place :)

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #1,965 of 2,392
Dang, I tried this and it worked, cool 
tongue.gif

Quote:
From what I understand, the amount of microphonics you hear is directly proportional to the amount you tap on your amp.
Hence, if you stop tapping...

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back