Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Sep 12, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #1,967 of 2,392
None of my current tubes are not black or have a burned appearance at the tip (I'm assuming you mean the exhaust tip ).  However, I did have a pairs of tubes in which each went black at the tip and surrounding areas.  I asked the company that sold me the tubes about this darkened appearance and they said it was common for CV2492/3.  A couple days after my question the tubes developed a terrible hum and I returned them for a refund.  The tubes were a couple weeks old.  I've heard that it's normal and not so normal.  In the end I'm not sure.  Guess you have to see if it develops into an issue.  I'm a tube noob too.

Quote:
hey guys quick question from a tube noob :p 

Is it ok if the top of the tubes (right at the base of the pointy tip) is sort of black? Almost looks as if it has been burned? 

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,968 of 2,392
I got my dancing shoes as well today from the same Ebay seller.  I'm not sure which adhesive I'll use but at the moment I'm letting go au naturale.  I like the little bit of height off of the surface.  I should have looked to see if they made them in silver as well.

Quote:
I currently have the Lyr stacked on the DacMagic both with the sam feet.  They look pretty cool IMO and should help with cooling.  At present they are just stuck on with some double sided tape but once I get the Bifrost I may stick them on with some kind of semi permanent glue.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #1,969 of 2,392
thanks for the reply WNBC... i did hear some hum on the lyr that was definetely very audible... i then turned the amp off and plugged it into a power strip and the hum was gone. So far no more hum...

any more insight into the 'burnt looking' tubes will be appreciated..

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,971 of 2,392
I feel bad for not buying this thing new(I was when I was pondering concerto vs Lyr), the amp works really well with these headphones.

Compared to any other amp I have owned in my life time(solid state world) the kind of heat it generates worries me slightly, its impossible to handle the chassis after having it on for a while, and the volume knob is a finger warmer.

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #1,972 of 2,392

Quote:
I feel bad for not buying this thing new(I was when I was pondering concerto vs Lyr), the amp works really well with these headphones.

Compared to any other amp I have owned in my life time(solid state world) the kind of heat it generates worries me slightly, its impossible to handle the chassis after having it on for a while, and the volume knob is a finger warmer.

It's been said before, but here goes...this is a Class A amp....it is supposed to get hot, Class A amps do. They work full out all the time. Schiit also uses the metal casing as a heatsink to remove the heat from inside (by design), so its not an issue. Just enjoy the tunes.
L3000.gif

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #1,973 of 2,392
I got my dancing shoes as well today from the same Ebay seller.  I'm not sure which adhesive I'll use but at the moment I'm letting go au naturale.  I like the little bit of height off of the surface.  I should have looked to see if they made them in silver as well.

Now there's a familiar picture. :)

Those particular feet only come in black. They are slightly big but they should look good IMO once the Bifrost arrives and both chassis match and are wearing the same feet.

Spikes are cool looking too but quite a few brands run them and so I wanted something a little different.

I do think that the height of the feet will help keep the Bifrost cooler as it will not have the Lyr so close above.

But as many excuses as I come up with... I really just wanted the look!

Two weeks and counting....

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #1,974 of 2,392

Yea, first amp I have had with two mid sized tubes generating this kind of heat.  My SS class A gear has ran hot as well but this is amazingly hot.  I know its normal for tube gear jsut not used to it :wink:
Quote:
It's been said before, but here goes...this is a Class A amp....it is supposed to get hot, Class A amps do. They work full out all the time. Schiit also uses the metal casing as a heatsink to remove the heat from inside (by design), so its not an issue. Just enjoy the tunes.
L3000.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #1,975 of 2,392

Quote:
Yea, first amp I have had with two mid sized tubes generating this kind of heat.  My SS class A gear has ran hot as well but this is amazingly hot.  I know its normal for tube gear jsut not used to it :wink:

Yep...Class A tube amp that uses the chassis as a heat sink....it does get quite warm, but don't worry about it...just sit back and enjoy the tunes.
smile.gif

Schiit believes in it as they give a 5 year warranty!

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #1,976 of 2,392
My Lyr arrived on Friday ... the first thing I noticed was that this little amp has some "heft" to it... (that always inspires some confidence in good things to come, AFAIC!)... I installed the alternate set of tubes I ordered (6N1P) rather than the stock(6B27) tube set thwat I received w/ the amp (I may give these a try after 200hrs or so, we'll see). I put 4 Herbies Audio Lab Tenderfoots on the bottom of the chassis, attached a pair of Kimber Silverstreak (at least, I think they're the Silverstreak) ICs to my Consonance cd 120 linear cdplayer, plugged an Audioquest power cord into the amp & plugged it into PS Audio P500 powerplant, turned on the amp & let it "cook" about 25 or 30 minutes before I tried listenning to anything . My initial reaction was that it sounded (through my Hifiman HE-4's(w/ JMoney earpads) very clean & detailed but it sounded like it was a bit "solid state" rather than "tube". (I expected as much as this isn't my first piece of tube equipment). Having about 15 or 20hrs playback time on the Lyr the treble is begining to relax a bit & I'm starting to notice more space & depth to recordings. It's starting to sound very nice for an under $1000 piece of audio gear... very nice indeed... Oh, I almost forgot to mention a little tweek I added to the volume knob. I went to a Lowes & got a pack of #17 O-Rings. I noticed that even this knob gets a little hot so I've placed 2 O-Rings (about 1/8 to 3/16" apart) on the volume knob (this is why the amp is starting to sound great I believe...Nah, just "schiiting" w/ you(could'nt help myself)".

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #1,978 of 2,392
I used the earpads designed to be used on the Denon D5000 phones . I took the stock earpads off of HE-4s & removed the velour & foam from the disc & fitted the JMoney pads over the discs. Be sure you want to do this as the original earpads are gone at this point. I have no regrets, the phones sound a bit better to me now. I honestly feel the original pads don't really do the phones justice.& I swear they appear a bit more "efficient" as I noticed an increase in low level detail retrieval & they are pretty comfortable.

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #1,979 of 2,392
Is it possible to blow the drivers of an Ortho like HE-5 with the Lyr? I have been very careful with the volume control and all that but they kind of sound funny now. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #1,980 of 2,392
Nevermind. All is fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back