Schiit Gungnir DAC
Feb 7, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #6,946 of 7,050
Hi all. It is my first post and I hope I'm not opening pandora's box once again.
I am looking into updating my entire system : Amp, preamp and dac.
I'm happy with the Gumby MB. I really am. I was curious to understand if an upgrade to Yggy OG will get me more audible resolution. Besides the 18bit vs 20bit chips what is the difference in implementation that Yggy has compared to Gumby. it is almost 2x the price and I'm pretty sure is for a reason. Is the output design completely different or the 20 bit chip requires more components and filters?

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #6,947 of 7,050
I just realized there is gungnir 2 in making for 2024 which makes my decision even harder. Should I wait or should I go for Yoggy og?

Feb 19, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #6,949 of 7,050
I just realized there is gungnir 2 in making for 2024 which makes my decision even harder. Should I wait or should I go for Yoggy og?
G2 won't be MB to start.

I've had a Gungnir 1 MB over 7 years and I picked it over the OG Yggy - when $ wasn't a big concern. The Yggy resolves better than the Gumby, but there is a certain analog thing - akin to the sweetness/harmonic warmth of tubes - but more subtle. I understand there is at least one newer Yggy that has a similar "analog" sound. IMO its the best piece of audio equipment I own - and money is an issue these days. I am going to run mine as long as it works. You are in a different situation.

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #6,950 of 7,050
I have to send my 2018- vintage Gungir Multibit with 5 Gen USB back to Schiit for USB repair. Is there any other upgrade that has come out recently that I should request? Should I go for the Unison USB upgrade? Just what IS the Unison upgrade?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #6,951 of 7,050
I have to send my 2018- vintage Gungir Multibit with 5 Gen USB back to Schiit for USB repair. Is there any other upgrade that has come out recently that I should request? Should I go for the Unison USB upgrade? Just what IS the Unison upgrade?

Thanks!
Doing the Unison USB upgrade should give you an added 2-year warranty on the whole Gungnir
Whereas repairing the Gen5 USB with another Gen5 USB would simply be a repair
May be worth getting Unison for the added warranty if the cost difference isn't that much ... certainly worth asking about once they are able to give you a cost estimate on the repair.

2-Year Warranty
Gungnir upgrades are covered by a 2-year warranty, or by the balance of the remaining factory warranty, whichever is greater. For out-of-warranty Gungnirs, this re-activates the warranty on the complete product for 2 years. One caveat: Schiit may refuse to do upgrades on heavily modified products. Schiit-installed upgrades are not eligible for return.

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #6,952 of 7,050

Thanks!
Would recommend unison for SQ alone, but the above response is a bonus.

Puts the USB input up a bit over Gen 5 and on par with the various SPDIF options.

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #6,953 of 7,050
Besides the USB upgrade is there any available upgrade for the Gumby MB?

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #6,954 of 7,050
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #6,955 of 7,050
No other official upgrades. By my count there we three MultiBit version unofficially.

There was the first version that came out. People here call it analog one and it has a specific sonic signature. I have one and its a bit laid back.

Second version called A2 here was ever officially acknowledged by Jason and not specifically available as an upgrade. Sonic signature was a bit more forward.

Lastly there was a third Gumby that was Analog 2, but had a part removed. This was due to supply issues during/after the pandemic. I believe these have serial numbers starting with C. This was a part that essentially checked the quality of the incoming source. No change to sound.

Long answer to say only official upgrade is Unison.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #6,957 of 7,050
I'm in, Boys!
Silver Gumby Multi-bit with Unison.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #6,958 of 7,050
I'm in, Boys!
Silver Gumby Multi-bit with Unison.
Dang, a Gumby, Mentor, and Tungston?? Sounds like the recipe for an endgame setup to me.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #6,959 of 7,050
Dang, a Gumby, Mentor, and Tungston?? Sounds like the recipe for an endgame setup to me.
yessir thats the plan, stan!
Mentor and Gumby en route, Tungsten will be a couple more months yet but I am prepping to be fully ready for It's Immanence's arrival.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #6,960 of 7,050
Doing the Unison USB upgrade should give you an added 2-year warranty on the whole Gungnir
Wow. I did not realize that!
2-Year Warranty
Gungnir upgrades are covered by a 2-year warranty, or by the balance of the remaining factory warranty, whichever is greater. For out-of-warranty Gungnirs, this re-activates the warranty on the complete product for 2 years.
I might have to make the Unison upgrade to both “future-proof” my Gumby for any future streamer upgrades (many of them seem to lean heavily on USB) and get the two-year warranty as part of the bargain.

That’s some good… nope, I can’t do it. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back