Schiit Gungnir DAC
Mar 7, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #6,961 of 7,100
Wow. I did not realize that!

I might have to make the Unison upgrade to both “future-proof” my Gumby for any future streamer upgrades (many of them seem to lean heavily on USB) and get the two-year warranty as part of the bargain.

That’s some good… nope, I can’t do it. 😂
I'm in the other boat lol. Mine has every available upgrade and since i bought it used i guess i get no warranty- and no path to a warranty either lol.

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #6,962 of 7,100
I'm in the other boat lol. Mine has every available upgrade and since i bought it used i guess i get no warranty- and no path to a warranty either lol.

Make sure you try the coax/Bnc inputs from a good source as well. Unison is probably the best USB implementation but coax/Bnc still sound better IMO.

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #6,963 of 7,100
Make sure you try the coax/Bnc inputs from a good source as well. Unison is probably the best USB implementation but coax/Bnc still sound better IMO.
Thanks @Rattle !

FYI (to @Slackaveli as well)-

I know optical/Toslink is often sneered at in audiophile circles, but I’ll say that with an excellent optical cable (in my case, DH Labs Glass Master), the Gumby sounds REALLY good via balanced out into a balanced preamp/active speaker setup (ATC SCM-19 active towers).

In parallel, the single-ended output to an OTL headamp sounds phenomenal as well. My OTL amp is SE-only, so the balanced out is for my preamp/SS headamp only.

I have a good coax cable that I could transition to, as my CD player sees little to no use these days, but I can’t say it’s been tempting given the SQ I’m getting already…

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #6,964 of 7,100
will do

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #6,965 of 7,100
Thanks @Rattle !

FYI (to @Slackaveli as well)-

I know optical/Toslink is often sneered at in audiophile circles, but I’ll say that with an excellent optical cable (in my case, DH Labs Glass Master), the Gumby sounds REALLY good via balanced out into a balanced preamp/active speaker setup (ATC SCM-19 active towers).

In parallel, the single-ended output to an OTL headamp sounds phenomenal as well. My OTL amp is SE-only, so the balanced out is for my preamp/SS headamp only.

I have a good coax cable that I could transition to, as my CD player sees little to no use these days, but I can’t say it’s been tempting given the SQ I’m getting already…
I will try thjem all head-to-head, but, i LOVE my Supra Excalibur USB and with Unison it should be a great match.
I also always build my PCs with high quality motherboards (this time was MSI Unify-X) so that it'll have the best caps and trace path isolation that I can get.
I even tried running straight with the mobo as a DAC to see if I could hear any interference or humming and it sounded pretty damn good and very quiet (uses ESS9018 iirc).

The glass master looks nice. Since you invested in that it's probably the best option for you.

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #6,966 of 7,100
Oh- I have been trying to remember to ask y'all this:

Have y'all tried running upgraded power cables (like a Pangea SE or something) on Gumby? Is that even something that will help sonically for DACs like it does for amps?

If so what is a best value option for <$100ish?

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #6,967 of 7,100
Oh- I have been trying to remember to ask y'all this:

Have y'all tried running upgraded power cables (like a Pangea SE or something) on Gumby? Is that even something that will help sonically for DACs like it does for amps?

If so what is a best value option for <$100ish?
I do indeed use an upgraded power cable with my Gumby- a Wireworld Aurora.

I use WW power cords for multiple components mostly because of their power-conditioning/noise-rejecting designs. I have not compared it to others or stock, though.

That said, my primary reason for using upgrade power cords is because of two experiences- one with a power amp that was significantly changed by power cable changes, and a Bel Canto DAC that was audibly improved with a relatively slight power cord change.

Both indicated to me that there is merit in certain components receiving low-to-moderate-cost power cord upgrades… in other cases (like my active speakers and SS headamp that has an outboard DC power supply), not so much. 😊

So- my experience has been generally good with Wireworld Stratus and Aurora, as well as Pangea AC-14SE (and for power amps, the thicker-gauge AC-9SE- but it is a BEAST).

I use Harmonic Tech AC-14 power cords on my active speakers as my HT interconnects and speaker cables have always been fantastic. The speaker cables from HT are amazing… so I figured the power cords would, at bare minimum, improve things somewhat. 😂

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #6,968 of 7,100
Oh, wow, those Auroras are beauts. A little rich for my blood but I did find some WireWorld Stratus 7 on Soundapproach where I just so happend to have $32 in rewards points that I couldnt find anything to spend on, and a 10%. So I got the Stratus for $62; should be plenty good for Gungnir. The Schiit cables are pretty reggie af.

Yeah those AC-9se are chonky.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #6,969 of 7,100
Y'all aint gonna believe this Schiit but I found a Yggy OG gen5 in Silver for $1295, then a day later it dropped $100...
I couldn't resist @ $1195.
Poor Gumby MB got replaced before he arrived. Or, I'll actually probably do a Royal Rumble with them!
May the best man win.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #6,970 of 7,100
Y'all aint gonna believe this Schiit but I found a Yggy OG gen5 in Silver for $1295, then a day later it dropped $100...
Poor Gumby MB got replaced before he arrived. Or, I'll actually probably do a Royal Rumble with them!
May the best man win.
Congrats- that’s an awesome deal! Looking forward to impressions… 🤜🤛

Mar 9, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #6,971 of 7,100
So I got the Stratus for $62; should be plenty good for Gungnir. The Schiit cables are pretty reggie af.

Yeah those AC-9se are chonky.

Thanks for the detailed reply.
My pleasure- the Stratus is plenty good, and that’s a serious deal on a good cable!

Mar 9, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #6,972 of 7,100
My pleasure- the Stratus is plenty good, and that’s a serious deal on a good cable!
today was damn Deal Day in my orbit lol.
Now i need to CHILL tf out lololol

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #6,973 of 7,100
May the best man win.
Gumby MB with Unison deathmatched against Yggy OG with Gen5. Can't wait to "hear" the results...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back