Schiit Gungnir DAC
Mar 14, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #6,991 of 7,049
day1b.jpg

Starting DAC-off with my beloved Gumby... Yggy is going to have to really be dope to beat out Gumby.
Another thing is the power cords that come with Yggy and Gumby are whack af. There was a tiny bit of noise when at full volume (paused) on Gumby until i switched out with a 10-gauge Oyaide w/ C-079 connectors that I made, and now it's DEAD silent.
The cord that comes with Mentor (upgrade cable) is very nice as well.

Also- Flux Mentor sounds GREAT.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #6,992 of 7,049
There is not a helluva lot of difference between A2 Gungnir with Unison vs Yggdrasil with Gen5. They sound quite similar.
Both detail monsters with a laid back sound and very good low end and no harshness up top.

I'm most likely going to be keeping the Yggdrasil, though, since it's platform is still alive and upgradeable in the future.
I've listed the Gungnir on Ebay already, if somebody here is interested PM me.

What a fantastic pair of DACs. Well done @MikeMoffat .

Definitely a big lot of real estate needed for Yggy /Mentor lol.

day1d.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #6,993 of 7,049
I decided to part ways with my TT2 and stumbled onto a pretty nice deal on a Gumby with Unison USB! I bought it immediately and am patiently waiting for it to arrive.

I have read that multibit/R2R dacs take a considerable amount of time to warm up. Is there any harm in leaving the device powered up for days at a time?
Also, does the device stay cool enough to stack an amp on top? Particularly a Jotunheim 2?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #6,994 of 7,049
I have read that multibit/R2R dacs take a considerable amount of time to warm up. Is there any harm in leaving the device powered up for days at a time?

No. Mine's been on for about 9 years now IIRC.

JC

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #6,995 of 7,049
I decided to part ways with my TT2 and stumbled onto a pretty nice deal on a Gumby with Unison USB! I bought it immediately and am patiently waiting for it to arrive.

Also, does the device stay cool enough to stack an amp on top? Particularly a Jotunheim 2?
TheMusicRoom?
My old Gumby just sold.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #6,996 of 7,049

Mike Moffat himself recommends they stay on 24x7x365. I don’t shut mine off.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #6,998 of 7,049
Yeah that would be the one lol. They occasionally have some pre-owned gems.
They are a fabulous store to deal with, too. I love The Music Room.
Enjoy, Man. That dude has Unison and is also the A2 so it's the FULLY maxed out Gumby. The Penultimate Gumby.
Truth be told it sounds 95%~ of my Yggy.
Glad 'one of us' got him.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #6,999 of 7,049

It gets warm, but not hot. I currently have Gumby stacked under a Mjolnir 2 with no issues at all. And I just started leaving it on 24/7. Finally broke my habit of turning everything off at night.

IMG_3391.jpeg

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #7,000 of 7,049
Mar 26, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #7,001 of 7,049
It gets warm, but not hot. I currently have Gumby stacked under a Mjolnir 2 with no issues at all. And I just started leaving it on 24/7. Finally broke my habit of turning everything off at night.

IMG_3391.jpeg
Having to do the ole Schiit Reach-Around is a good reminder.

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #7,002 of 7,049
The longer it's on, the better it will sound. My Gumby took about 10d to reach its peak, new out of the box.
After a few years, if it got turned off, somewhere between 2-24h to get back to its best. Some people mistakenly think this is "warming up the components." It's more like all the clocks getting together and getting their groove on perfectly.

I never noticed it getting anything more than high end of warm.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #7,003 of 7,049
In the video below, Jason mentions that a Gungnir 2 Multibit may be coming later this year!! :L3000: And it may come out before the Gungnir 2 Singularity does.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #7,004 of 7,049
It's on all the time here except:

1. moving (homes, rooms, equipment location)
2. power failures - esp when it's switching back and forth deciding - that can injure electronics
3. serious electrical storms - as above, and possibly killed outright

My Gumby sounds awful until it gets to about 40 hours and still sounds disheveled and unfocused until it hits ~70 hrs, same before/after I did the Gen 5 update and the factory Unison update, and every time I've heard it, currently on for ~4 months.

My amps are good to go as soon as they hit operating temps by comparison.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #7,005 of 7,049
In the video below, Jason mentions that a Gungnir 2 Multibit may be coming later this year!! :L3000: And it may come out before the Gungnir 2 Singularity does.

Yeah that piqued my curiosity as well.
I wonder if it will be based on Ti 11001b like Yggy MiB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back